Frag» Forums » General

Subject: Viability of 2 Player Frag? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Here's the dilemma: I personally love the idea of Frag, and with the new 'gold edition' coming out, I'm very tempted to buy it. However, I'll pretty much have only one opponent most of the time, so I don't want to waste my money on a game that seems (based on the reviews and such) to be most fun with 4 or so players. Conventional wisdom would seem to concur based on the fact that real FPS are like that too lol

So, a waste of money?

-Timedude16
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it two-player with a friend and it was fun. We only used 1 character each but only because we were learning it. We are going to try controlling 2 characters each as a team game.

I own all incarnations of it (except PvP) and will probably buy the gold edition just for upgraded components.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Garlinghouse
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One character each works OK, but 2 or 3 each makes a great team game.

Alternate characters, rather "my team, your team" seems to work best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my support to each player controlling multiple fighters. One on one Frag tends to boil down to one fighter being chased by the other. The more combatants in the arena, the more chances for interaction -- i.e., killing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Okay. Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Now I just have to wait for SJG to get Gold Edition out of the printer lol. I thought they were leaning twards a Feb 09 release date? -Timedude
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the SJG site, it's planned as a March 09 release at the moment: http://sjgames.com/newproducts/newrel.html?m=2&y=9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Oh, thanks, I hadn't wandered into that portion of their site yet... Thanks, man. Still a waiting, though lol, probly till they finish renovation of their warehouse. Who knows when that will be, hopefully by the end of the month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timedude16 wrote:
Okay. Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Now I just have to wait for SJG to get Gold Edition out of the printer lol. I thought they were leaning twards a Feb 09 release date? -Timedude

We originally announced the game for February 2009 but, after seeing the printer prototype, we delayed the game about three weeks in order to improve one of the components.

The game is on the way and expected to hit our warehouse next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Awesome! Thanks for the heads up man!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a few two-player games of Frag Gold this week, and it's sweet!

The best way to balance things is to have both players draw a Special card when someone scores a Frag.

Using the Frag 2003 rules from Frag PvP is also quite good! With those rules, you have 9 points to build your character, and everyone starts with two of each card type!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
So wait, were you using two characters per player? Or just one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Timedude16 wrote:
So wait, were you using two characters per player? Or just one?

We were using one character per player, and it worked great! It stayed very interactive and engaging on both sides of the game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Hm. That's good to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh! There are also some free add-ons that you can download for Frag:
Frag Resources

I haven't used them yet; but Frag Arsenal, New Frag Weapons, and Alternate Frag Rules look quite good to me! Frag Zombies is supposed to be quite good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ruhnke
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Yep, seem em. Don't forget the Frag page http://www.sjgames.com/frag/extras/ too, has plenty of fan resources as well. And, of course, the add ons found here, on BoardGameGeek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.