Subject: Mahjong on the cheap. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mahjong is a game that uses a strange set of hard domino like tiles. For many people around the world the cost of ordering it let alone access to a computer to order a set is difficult. Even smaller sets have become increasingly expensive. There are many web sites that offer unique 'print your own' mahjongg cards but using playing cards do not replace the tactile sensation of using tiles. Especially when you have a 13 card hand it becomes difficult to hold them.

PLUG!!
My web page contains 'thin' and 'trainer' mahjong card sets.
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/robertkalin/create.html

Now comes the juicy bits of this post.
I 'discovered/created' a method of using plain old dominoes to play mahjong with. On a scale of 1 to 100 percent of conversion I'm guessing that this is practicaly a 85 to 95% conversion. In other words -VERRY CLOSE-. Most of all, it works.

LINK to conversion
http://www.pagat.com/invented/stonehenge.html

In short you use 4 sets of Double-Six dominoes to play mahjong. A double-six set is your everyday set you find everywhere, not those huge sets often used to play 'mexican train' with.

The strangest thing to me is both the advantages of using dominoes to play Mahjong AND how I have yet to find any domino game that uses this primary game mechanic. I mean When I came up with the idea I thought that since Mahjong was popular back in the 1920's in the usa (where I live) that surely there would be similar rules floating around somewhere. Nope, nada, zip, zilch, nothing. I read through over 50 domino game rules to find that none use the primary core mechanic that mahjong does. Matching identicle tiles. Then there is the size concern. The picturesque images of mahjong do not scale down to minature sizes well. The imagery becomes difficult to discern at small scales. Domino dots on the other hand are still verry visible at those same small scales.

If there are any such conversion then I suppose that its in some magazine from the 1920's thats been sitting around since then.

I caught wind of a conversation in the forums about being unable to get mahjong sets in the UK and thought that perhaps this conversion might be able to fill their mahjongg fix.

Most of all. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A.
Just a small request for those that auctually read this posting.
What tips and tricks would you advise to .. hum .. spread the word? of this conversion? I would simpley like people to know of this game. I'm not seeking fame and fortune, I just want folks to know that this set of rules is there and that its free. no charge etc etc etc.

I've already emailed several domino companies about it and got no reply whatsoever. Not even an automatic acknowledgement.

I'm thinking of making a youtube video but i have problems on that end as well as I have no digital camcorder. Any tips to this end would be welcome whole heartedly.

B.
If anyone is a library diver I was wondering if anyone could confirm my theory about this game conversion being unique. What I mean to say is that if someone is familiar with 1920's magazines based on games that they might do some digging. The reason I picked the 1920's is that the game of mahjong was a big thing during the 20s. At least to the best of my knowledge.

Most of all whatever you do. Have fun.
Bob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.