Subject: Hand holding one inlaw, the other wins. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Pollard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fresh out of the box, and we decide to play this game after the inlaws come over for breakfast. It took a while for me to read the instructions to everyone, but by the time we started, at least 3 of us had a good idea of what we were doing. There were a couple of snags, quote "This is the first time I heard that." But once my father inlaw figures out he cant put a building in every city on his route, game on. He, my wife, and I picked up the game with no problems. My mother inlaw on the other hand.

It's not that I think she couldn't understand what was going on. She just didn't want to. So for the majority of the game, I'm playing my hand and helping/playing hers.

We reach the final round. My father inlaw starts it off, and since he was first to play in the game, at least we all get a chance to score a little more. Turns out that my wife and I also close out the game with our moves. Time to start scoring. I got rid of a lot of buildings and feel pretty good with a score of 24, untill I found out that my father inlaw got the same thing. So by default, he picked up the finish token, so game is his.

This was a really fun game despite the fact that we had one player that didn't want to learn how to play. I'll be bringing it on board game nights with the guys.

Has anyone played what I'm guessing to be sequals? And I'm wondering, is 10+ for the age is accurate? I wouldn't mind bringing this to more family functions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn is one of our favorite games. It's quick and easy and works just as well for 2 as for 3 or 4.

We have the Power and Glory and the All Roads Lead to Rome expansions.

I think Power and Glory adds a needless complexity by requiring "horses" in addition to the city cards in your route. We do enjoy using the new map with the original rules. I know this is allowed on BSW and I believe it's suggested in the PaG rules.

We didn't find anything compelling about ARLtR. You play with this board alongside of your regular board. Movement is controlled by what happens on the main board. The mechanics weren't difficult, but after several plays, we were still very neutral on it. Didn't hate it, but it hasn't come out of the box for many, many months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.