Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fiance invited a coworker of hers over for a little 3 way gaming. Nah, we didn't play naked twister. Just some pandemic and San Juan. Well, her friend is not a gamer and she had no enthusiasm. It was so bad I started hating board games. I wanted to puke over her horrible lack of enthusiasm and overall blandness. I wanted it to stop, and thank god it did after 2 unbearable hours. It did make me appreciate my fiance and her love of the boardgame a litte bit more though... I hope I never have to experience that again, or I may be done with this hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
My fiance invited a coworker of hers over for a little 3 way gaming. Nah, we didn't play naked twister. Just some pandemic and San Juan. Well, her friend is not a gamer and she had no enthusiasm. It was so bad I started hating board games. I wanted to puke over her horrible lack of enthusiasm and overall blandness. I wanted it to stop, and thank god it did after 2 unbearable hours. It did make me appreciate my fiance and her love of the boardgame a litte bit more though... I hope I never have to experience that again, or I may be done with this hobby.

Or you should be done with people like her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should be done with you fiance's co-worker. She sounds like a kill joy. Or maybe you should have pulled out the Twister? At any rate the board gaming hobby/life style is not something we can make a decision about like someones religion. It's in your genes. If you've gone through the trouble to actually become a BGGer your probably too deep into gaming to quit because of one stick in the mud.

Let's put it like this. Don't let a fool ruin your day (or more importantly determine your values).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I have to come up with a tactful way to break it to my fiance that I don't care to have her friend over for games....as a person to hang out, thats fine, but no board games for that one....Wow it was painful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
Now I have to come up with a tactful way to break it to my fiance that I don't care to have her friend over for games....as a person to hang out, thats fine, but no board games for that one....Wow it was painful!

Say "I don't think she really enjoyed it, next time we get together, let's do something different." You'll get bonus points for caring what her friend wants to do, and being willing to do that instead of playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iklinck wrote:
vinniebrasco wrote:

Say "I don't think she really enjoyed it, next time we get together, let's do something different." You'll get bonus points for caring what her friend wants to do, and being willing to do that instead of playing games. :)

And We might even get to blow the dust of that Twister!!!...Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are few things worse than gaming with someone who isn't interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

I know. Bastards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:

Like what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
Your wife's friend deserves a medal for agreeing to put up with a second game after the first one bored her to tears, OR you're incapable of reading social signals. The latter seems unlikely, since you noticed she was bored and wanted it to end. Why not just say "gee, you don't look like you're having a whole lot of fun, why don't we just fold this one on up?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Dunning
United States
Glen Carbon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta' ask: Is the co-worker hot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
Your wife's friend deserves a medal for agreeing to put up with a second game after the first one bored her to tears, OR you're incapable of reading social signals. The latter seems unlikely, since you noticed she was bored and wanted it to end. Why not just say "gee, you don't look like you're having a whole lot of fun, why don't we just fold this one on up?"

I deserve a medal for being civilized, I brought her food, poured her beer and was polite. I did suggest to quit mid game of San Juan, which I was having an awesome game card wise....but...It had to be stopped. I even thanked her for stopping by!!... I was the ultimate host and gentlman!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent White
United States
Chestnut Hill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wcdunning wrote:

Nah, if naked twister would have ensued I would have went in the other room and watched lathered up dudes fight each other on utlimate fighting....she was average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and San Juan are pretty logic-based and cerebral games to 90% of the population.
Maybe Party Games or Dexterity games would be a better idea for this person?
Or no games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
wcdunning wrote:

Nah, if naked twister would have ensued I would have went in the other room and watched lathered up dudes fight each other on utlimate fighting....she was average.

Average is good enough with the lights off.

Never pass on the three way..................... gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to experience new things in life. Hell, I wouldn't have a collection the size of mine if I didn't!

This friend seems like the type who prefers to live in a small comfort zone, and isn't one to trying new things, whether they be boardgames or a new restaurant down the street. Whatever you do, don't let her lack of enthusiasm bring YOU down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
wcdunning wrote:

Why bring mixed marital arts into this? angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
J.L.Robert wrote:
I try to experience new things in life. Hell, I wouldn't have a collection the size of mine if I didn't!

This friend seems like the type who prefers to live in a small comfort zone, and isn't one to trying new things, whether they be boardgames or a new restaurant down the street.

It's awe-inspiring how you were able to deduce an entire person's personality, likes and dislikes from a three sentence forum post, which describes one event, second-hand. If you're not already, you should consider a job as an FBI profiler. Amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Like what?

Getting jabbed in the eye with a red hot fireplace poker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:

Or the friend could've said no to the second board game if she was that disinterested. Two-way street there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
wcdunning wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Don't let a fool ruin your day (or more importantly determine your values).

Certainly people that don't share a hobby are not "fools" for that reason alone?

Quote:
I deserve a medal for being civilized, I brought her food, poured her beer and was polite. I did suggest to quit mid game of San Juan, which I was having an awesome game card wise....but...It had to be stopped. I even thanked her for stopping by!!... I was the ultimate host and gentlman!

Why would you have been anything else? Because she didn't like to play games, she should be treated with less than courtesy and decent manners as a guest in your house?

I guess I don't really understand the thread. It seems you are getting angry a a woman who agreed to try out a hobby she had no interest in to be a good sport. It must have been clear early on that she wasn't interested, yet gaming continued for two hours.

She may have felt bad in quitting since you were the host. "Hey, I know, let's call a halt to the game and head out to the bar," or "Why don't we go watch TV or something," would have been the thing to do, I think. At a certain point, the gaming may have continued because, probably knowing you are a big fan of games, she didn't want to ruin the night for you.

Social interactions shouldn't be seen as some function of game playing, but by well-established rules of behavior. If you didn't offer her something to drink or say, "Hey, thanks for coming over," you would have been rude. That has nothing to do with boardgames.

Plus, maybe lighter fare would have made a difference. To gamers, something like San Juan is chicken feed, but to a non-gamer it might not click. It might turn your stomach, but if fun for everyone is what you are interested in (and not simply playing a "real" game), break out Phase-10 or Masterpiece or something along those lines. You won't get your gaming fix, but the social aspect of the night will probably be better.

If she comes back for another night, start adding other games. It depends on what you want to get out of the evening. (Conversion to the hobby vs. just a fun social night.)

(I speak from experience here. We have a couple we game with down the block and I was quite guilty early on of just seeing them as an opportunity to play those games that work better with 4 people. It was all about my opportunity to play. They hated the first few games we played, but I supplied the beer, so they came back. Once my wife explained to me in private that I was being a jerk by picking games based on what I wanted, I changed things up, everyone had a much better time.)

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

This friend seems like the type who prefers to live in a small comfort zone, and isn't one to trying new things, whether they be boardgames or a new restaurant down the street.

It's awe-inspiring how you were able to deduce an entire person's personality, likes and dislikes from a three sentence forum post, which describes one event, second-hand. If you're not already, you should consider a job as an FBI profiler. Amazing!

Hey! Why is that piece of meat just lying there? Looks like it's some sort of bait for a trap! shake

Lucky I'm wearing this asbestos suit! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a gamer and would have had no enthusiasm if I had to play Pandemic and San Juan. Cooperative games go against the competitive nature of games and are a turn-off for a lot of people, even gamers. San Juan, with all the little special powers, is not a game I would force on a newbie. Neither game is visually attractive, either, and that should also be considered when dealing with non-gamers. Maybe you'd have had more success if you had chosen more usual gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vinniebrasco wrote:
My fiance invited a coworker of hers over for a little 3 way

That's as far as I got...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.