13 Posts

The Princes of Florence» Forums » Rules

Subject: Profession cards once played and faced up, can it be played again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shouqin Chen
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, the question as above! thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, no.

But... there is a card that allows you to take a profession card (already played) from another player. If you do this, you may play that card. If they then steal it back from you, they could play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the recruitment card that allows that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The game would be way too easy if this were allowed. You have played the Profession card in general because you have the infrastructure that makes it worth a lot. If you could keep playing the same one over and over again, you always would. You would not need to develop a stronger and broader infrastructure.

There is the approach using Recruitment cards as described above. This is an important part of the game, but does not really address what I think you are asking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
dagibbs wrote:
As a general rule, no.

But... there is a card that allows you to take a profession card (already played) from another player. If you do this, you may play that card. If they then steal it back from you, they could play it again.

Key part of this: the Recruitment card "allows you to take a profession card (already played) from another player."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Boatman
United States
Tesuque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with David.
He is referring to the recruiting card. This card allows you to take a profession already on the board. However, this may not be one of your own professions.
Using their recruiting card when someone takes a profession you have played, they move the profession in front of them and leave the recruiting card to represent your taken profession card.
Having a recruiting card does not mean that you have not used that profession; the recruiting card is the same as the profession card you played.
One player may not use (play) the same profession twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
zboat wrote:
I disagree with David.
He is referring to the recruiting card. This card allows you to take a profession already on the board. However, this may not be one of your own professions.
Using their recruiting card when someone takes a profession you have played, they move the profession in front of them and leave the recruiting card to represent your taken profession card.
Having a recruiting card does not mean that you have not used that profession; the recruiting card is the same as the profession card you played.
One player may not use (play) the same profession twice.

I don't recall this being supported by the rules.

The only rule about playing professions is you can only play the ones in your hand. This of course prevents playing one already on the table - and there is no way to remove a profession card from the table once played.

The only constraint on recruiting is that you take a profession card in front of someone else.

So if one of your professions has wandered elsewhere via recruiting, recruiting it back is certainly viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I couldn't remember the name of the recruiting card.

But, one of the risks of using a recruiting card is that the profession may be recruited back again -- and the other person might, even, have more supporting infrastructure than you do.

Also, while I don't have my rules with me, I'm pretty sure the recruiting card brought the recruited profession into one's hand, with the recruiting card left behind as a place-holder (for +1 work value) of the recruited profession.

And, I agree, you can't recruit a card that is in your own played professions area. (I didn't intend to suggest you could.) But, they don't have "memory", either. Once it is recuited away from you, there is nothing preventing you from recruiting it back again, once the other player has played that profession.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh, it's so simple:

1) A profession played forever stays face up in front of the player who played it (counting for work value), unless... (see #2a)

2a) A recruiter in your hand (immediately on purchase or later on your turn) can bring an outside and already played profession card into your hand to be played now or later.

2b) You may not recruit a card in front of yourself.

3) The used recruiter card takes the place of the recruited card face up in front of the player recruited from. They cannot use the face up recruiter card again except when counting work value for already played works (1 wv each).

4) If during the course of the game it happens that one of your original profession cards is recruited and played in front of someone else, you may recruit it back (using a new recruiter card in your hand), since it is no longer in front of you.

When learning to play a game, I wish people would read the rulebook. All this stuff I say is in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shouqin Chen
Singapore
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone!!! I have my question answered!! pardon me for my ignorance, I thought I had scoured the entire book but still couldn find the answer. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario rossi
Italy
flag msg tools
Zack wrote:

One player may not use (play) the same profession twice

Using the recruiter card, I think.

But I haven't see this limit in italian rules.

Is There this limit (2) ?

Thanks DD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mario rossi
Italy
flag msg tools
Is there someone ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nel regolamento italiano è specificato che non si può giocare due volte la stessa carta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.