Europe Engulfed» Forums » Rules

Subject: Soviets attacking Axis Minor powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John N
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
This is probably a dumb question. The soviets can in the first turn of the game, move all thier forces to Bessarabia, then in the second turn of the game attack Rumania with everything. They stand a decent chance of conquering Rumania (especially if mud is rolled). The German player then moves half the units elsewhere, but after the first onslaught, finishing the weakened Rumanians should be easy. Then they can move on to Hungary or Bulgaria. There doesn't seem to me to be anything the German player can do about it. Unless they are allowed to attack Russian forces without declaring a war on Russia. So Russia gets a few extra WERPS to build defenses before the impending German invasion, denies Germany those same WERPS, possibly denies half the free axis minor steps if it takes three axis minor powers, and most importantly forces the German player to cover a lot more ground when they do attack the soviets.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
i think there are only certain conditions where the soviets can go to war with germany because of the prewar agreement between germany and soviets. and the axis minor powers were part of that agreement not to attack them which would be war against germany. see; 9.23& 9.25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think John is correct here. Interestingly though, I'm in the middle of a vassal game right now where Germany left too few defenders on the Non-Aggression pact line and the Russians have stormed into Rumania. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Russia cannot attack Axis till Jan/42 unless Germany doesn't leave enough factors on Eastern front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks everybody for your replies!

nhojput wrote:
i think there are only certain conditions where the soviets can go to war with germany because of the prewar agreement between germany and soviets. and the axis minor powers were part of that agreement not to attack them which would be war against germany. see; 9.23& 9.25

It's specifically 9.23 which leads me to think this is possible. I'm not sure if I have the latest version of the rules, but here's a cut and paste of what I have:

9.23 The Soviets may only declare war on the Axis Major and Minor
(see 9.1) Powers (if some of those Minor Powers are still neutral, they
may be selectively chosen), and not earlier than the Jan/Feb 1942 turn,
unless one or more of the following applies during the Allied Initial
Operational Movement Phase that war is declared:

Until Germany conquers or declares Vichy France, the Axis Minor powers are still neutral right? Which means they can be picked off by the Soviets one by one until the turn after Germany defeats France.

Historically, aren't the Soviets at war with Finland anyway?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But irregardless of whether they are neutral or not, you still can't delcare war on them prior to Jan/Feb 1942 unless one of the three conditions enumerated in 9.23 are met. At least that's the way I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Can't do it before Jan 42 unless A)Fewer than 5 German units in Poland or 10 beginning Mar/April 41. b) Germans have non-airborne unit in England or control one area within England or c)Germans at war with Turkey. Yes, historically Russia did attack Finland before 41, made peace till Germany attacked then Finland also attacked Russia. Its the rule, so unless you and your opponent agree to amend them, your attack on Rumania was illegal. You shall be reported to league of nations.. Er, nevermind, they couldn't do squat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Shaw
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, how is that going? Any trouble with the Romanians? I'm dating a gal from Romania now, and if the Axis minors are as tough as she is the Russians are in for a long year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.