Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an idea for game in which three rebelious factions are striving for galactic control with each other and the "federation" that is trying to maintain "peace".

So I would like your ideas for:

1) title
2) names of the 3 "factions" and the "federation" entities.

extra credit for creatively disguising known sci-fi powerhouses or original/public domain names that I could actually use.

extra - extra credit and geek gold for iconography that I could use for each of the factions and federation groups.

Geekmail me if you are really interested in this, I will have an early playtest version soon (I hope) that I would be willing to share. Its an area control game (because I just love direct player interaction and conflict without dice) that will share some similiarities with König von Siam but not quite as much of brain burner and with a lot of twists that you would expect from a sci-fi game.

Thanks for all your helpful input ahead of time!

PS - I still have a couple of free "I Print you Play" copies to playtest Streets of Cairo. Complete rules are on the game's page, looking for serious playtesters only at this point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a very strong Republic modeled more or less on the Roman Empire? (at least officially. I'm thinking Star Wars Imperials here).

Opposing them is a race of robots originally created as slaves who now want to throw off their shackles and exact revenge on the human race (think Cylons).

There is also a group of rag-tag humans that are also trying to free themselves of the Republic (this would be your Star Wars Rebel Alliance).

Finally, there is the obscene race of cyborgs made up of those robots and humans who think that only a fusion between the two will bring peace and order to the universe (sort of like the Borg, but perhaps not the mindless drones).

That is what I've got. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosier wrote:
a group of rag-tag humans that are also trying to free themselves of the Republic

I am thinking that would make the counter a little too big :D

My ADD brain needs 1 word for each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol you could call them Rebels or Insurgents if you wish.

It occurred to me that maybe the rebels could be nixed altogether. Instead, the third race could be an outside group of Invaders along the lines of the Vikings or Mongols. Maybe they could even be patterned on the Yuuzhan Vong from the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

That would still leave the Human Empire/Republic/Whatever, their rebelling Robot slaves, and the Cyborg fusion between the two with the outside Invaders coming to join the party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robotgoosauronarrrh

and done.

Seriously, that might not be such a bad idea:

Cylon/Terminator-like robots as discussed.

Aliens - maybe similar to Cthulhu and the aliens from Starship Troopers.

The army of a single 'evil overlord', perhaps like the Mule from the Foundation series and Ming the Merciless.

Swashbuckling semi-criminal rebels, a la Firefly and the Maquis from Star Trek.

and the Star Trek/Star Wars/Firefly-like Federation.

That's one more than you needed, so delete the one you like the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Human Empire - technologically capable, monotheistic, stolid and dependable.

An Elder species - haughty and technologically advanced, but a waning civilisation.

Bug eyed monsters - very alien, insectile-looking and voracious appetites.

Space Trash - opportunistic conquerors, pillaging what they can before moving on.

The first three are present in Star Craft, and although I've lifted all four species from the Warhammer 40k universe, there are various parallels in fantsay, sci-fi (and even history). Is that archetypal enough? (In fact, you could see even the Star Trek races in these archetypes, if one names them The Federation, The Vulcans, The Borg and The Klingons).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Title: Nearly every sci-fi ever made.

The factions:

Humans vs. Evil Humans vs. Anything not Human

(Feel free to mix and match the teams of evil and good humans and the anything not human.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, I don't think we ahve found a winner yet so keep them coming and keep them short.

Back story is easy (well at least easier) but the one worders is where my brain freezes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This got me thinking of Starcraft and how you can have very different races with very different play styles. Here's my idea:

The races:

The PsiBorgs:
a race of aliens that have altered their bodies and minds using technology to give them psychic powers.

The Solanaceae: a race of plant-based aliens that grow their own ships. Their ships can regenerate if damaged.

The Draco: a race of reptilian aliens. They are fierce warriors who carry weapons that are both laser pistol and sword.

Title idea: Take Terra!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanshurke wrote:
so who won? nobody?

Well I would like to see if we could get some more of the creative juice I know is out there to weigh in, but it was your post that got me thinking down my current path of making it not about aliens vs humans, but more of an issue of factions. So you win half at least!

I am still in need of a name for the game but my current thinking for faction names are:

Federation - Exisiting central government that is trying to establish control in new found region of space. The federation doesn't directly get involved in the galaxy conflicts, rather indirectly attempts to influence the rival factions to achieve parity in the region.

Freetraders - Most closely aligned with the federation are the freetraders who wish to develop the new regions with a laissez faire attitude to commercial development. They have strong financial base, and can bring significant firepower in their attempt to maintain control in the new regions. they oppose the Zealots and IGMC as they oppress free trade and native economic development.

Zealots - Believers in the true path, Zealots are eager to establish the new region as a santuary for their believers. they need to time to build up their strength in the region but over time will be able to convert significant numbers to their cause. Zealots are aligned with the IGMC, who can help spread their religion within their slaver oppoerations.

IGMC - Inter Galatic Mining Corporation sees the new region as a perfect opportunity to utilize their planet processing technology and interstellar processing capailities that are banned by the federation. Once established the IGMC will be at a significant advantage to utilize the resources found in the new regions. IGMC is aligned with the Zealots as supplier of hope and faith to the millions of economic slave laborers they need to employ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanshurke wrote:
i think the concept sounds pretty interesting so far, i especially fancy the name "freetraders". zealots on the other hand sounds less exciting to me, as religious factions usually pick rather cryptic and ominous names. seems like you made even more changes to the game meanwhile, as there are basically now two sides with two alignments each vying for control. while i own king of siam i had yet no opportunity to play it, but i understand that you can play the game 2vs2, and i take it you are going to opt for a similar setup. for the game itself i would choose a name along the lines of american wild west in space coupled with star wars, i think that would fit nicely. like yankees vs rebels in space. maybe lasers n glory or something. conquest of the cosmos. emperor of the stars. imperium galactica. well, scratch that wild west theme. spacecraft.

Players wouldn't start with control of any particular side, I want this game to be a a coopetition model with alliances that form organically between players but never getting to the levels of teams.

My thoughts on the game are that there are 2 dimesnions of conflict, one to control galxies, the other to control the factions. So a player has to make a balance between ensuring the faction they are backing ends up as the winner, and that they end up in control of the faction. The game would use action and influence cards in a single deck, and players would know the degree to which the other players are supporting the various factions but not the extent so they may be likely to support each other to achieve military battles to a point but only if they beleive that it will lead them to the end victory.

The alliances in the factions means that you are more likely to gain political influence for your ally faction when you do something benefical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This article from tvtropes.net might be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
1) title
1) Title: It's Earth Calling, Again!
T Worthington wrote:
2) names of the 3 "factions" and the "federation" entities.
2) Earth Confederation, The Die-Lets, The Ciphermen, and the Crime Lords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.