Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something Ive grown very tired of, it seems that here on the board BGG will allow threads that started out on topic and good discussions to just devolve into a pissing match. Rather than prune these threads of the off topic posts (its not that hard to do) and create an appropriate named forum 'The Dumpster' we just let these people hijack threads and turn it into their own little playground. Dont believe me? Reference this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/386421/page/7

Topic starts off fine, all nice and dandy and then devolves into spelling and personal insults.

BGG please, your mods and admins need this forum, a place where people who want to have the pissing matches CAN have the pissing matches and a place where mods and admins can move posts like this that are just plain disrespectful to the original poster. Its obvious that some members dont have much self control and because of that we have mods and admins. So please lets start cleaning up these kind of threads.

I'll even volunteer for the duty if no one else wants to do it. Call me the pruner call me what you will but its just plain annoying to see how disrespectful people are to the OP and not give a damn about that persons thread as long as their pissing longer and further than everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather see a voting system to lock or delete the post! I'd have thought by now that everyone would know that unruly behaviour and flame wars are frowned upon.

Wouldn't creating a destination thread for these people just be a waste of bandwidth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not particularly, theyre wasting bandwidth now... Its the same thing, its simply removing the bad posts to a forum where they can be bad. I would rather have them take up bandwidth where I dont HAVE to read it than take up bandwidth on a good topic. Like I said, there is no waste of bandwidth because they already are! Now if we just deleted all off topic posts and said that is the rules of the forum that would save on bandwidth!

The voting sounds nice but with this same group of people, there would be mass deleted posts based not on content but on personal grudges etc. This is not an effective way to do it.

I know there is a plonk list but I havent run into anyone that just spews filth all the time, so this isnt effective, sometimes these same above people contribute to the discussion. So plonking isnt very effective for me at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There already are moderators/admins that have the power to delete offensive posts and ban repeat offenders.

Even though I agree with you that there is an issue with threadjacking through off-topic posts, I think it would be impossible to define consistent guidelines to objectively distinguish between "truly irrelevant" contributions, and posts that just approach the topic in a more light-hearted manner or try to introduce a new perspective.

Truly unreasonable members will be plonked by a sufficient number of people and eventually be banned. So IMHO there's no immediate need to implement any additional means to censor.

In regards to the thread in question: I have a strong suspicion that the main offender is a sock puppet account for someone who was previously banned... How to deal with this would be an entirely different concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
really, indeed... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/351010 surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.