Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where's the Quality? Math Trade - Discussion
You are expecting users to check how many copies of all their games have been listed before adding any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
You are expecting users to check how many copies of all their games have been listed before adding any?
People who aren't willing to do this can either add only those games rated 7+ or not participate. Given the name of the math trade, that seems to be the expectation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very easy to check - simply go to the OLWLG site, then "Statistics."

Do a search for your game, cross check that with the rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
blueatheart wrote:

Since I don't think OLWLG takes sweeteners into account for the stats, how do we count those into the totals? Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
OLWLG question:

To help create my want list for math trades, I typically set up an excel file with the games I am trading and the games I want to trade for and then assign a "value" to each (not in terms of $, but rather a 1-100 scale of interest to me). Then I set up a macro to show which of the games that I want, have valuations that are equal or less than which of the games I am listing. After I review the results and make any adjustments to valuations once I see them, I then go into OLWLG and click all the appropriate boxes.

Although this is relatively easy in excel, I have no idea if this is (a) something that could easily be integrated into OLWLG and (b) if it would be useful to other people.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff has mentioned that he plans to integrate this feature at some point. Users would be able to simply assign values to games and have the want lists automatically set up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
dcorban wrote:
Jeff has mentioned that he plans to integrate this feature at some point. Users would be able to simply assign values to games and have the want lists automatically set up.

That is great. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Wyka
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
dcorban wrote:
People who aren't willing to do this can either add only those games rated 7+ or not participate. Given the name of the math trade, that seems to be the expectation.

Heh. My expectation at this point is to list what I've got and let the moderator sort it out! Personal limitations make sense to me because I can manage that (and we'd have a lot less games listed that are rated under a 6.0, for instance). But really, I'm not going to get into a race with anybody else to list a game, go check other tools for acceptability, look up the BGG rating (which doesn't show in the geeklist entry, by the way) and so on. Give me a break!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
joewyka wrote:
jdludlow wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Heh. Personal limitations make sense to me because I can manage that (and we'd have a lot less games listed that are rated under a 6.0, for instance). But really, I'm not going to get into a race with anybody else to list a game, go check other tools for acceptability, look up the BGG rating (which doesn't show in the geeklist entry, by the way) and so on. Give me a break!
Funny you should say this. After listing about 15 items, I'm finding these requirements to be a too much of a hassle to list any more. For the last big math trade I listed about 60 items, but I'll probably stop where I'm at right now for the exact reasons you mention.

If anyone sees anything on my trade list, please let me know and I'll list it. I'll also be watching the request list closely to see if there is anything else I can add.

That being said, Thanks for running the math trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being new to the trade scene I can see the pros and cons to both arguments. But the idea is an excellent one and since the rules were proposed as they were, I don't see a problem with listing whatever you want and then going into the OLWLG list and looking to see how much quantity of a game is listed. Just take the appropriate actions after that.

I'm not taking a side, but it seems that could be the best way and I also find it quite easy to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:

This would work... if the OLWLG was updated more frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what's up with the OLWLG right now. I'm sorry for that, and have contacted JeffyJeff about it. I'm currently going through games and seeing what's doubled-over.

Really, the biggest thing you can do to help is to list the BGG ratings. If it's under 6, you should probably check it. Otherwise, you're almost certainly fine (thus far).

I'm letting users know when they've listed games that are breaching the rules.

If you don't want to check something under a 6 rating, then don't list it. The point of the list is to dissuade games less than 6, anyway. If it's above 6, you are likely okay just putting it out there - I'll double-check it, but they don't seem to be close to breaching yet. The ones that might will hopefully not be overwhelming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to use the second entry in this Discussion thread to list the games which have breached their limits. Please refer to there for a quick look at which games have already had too many entries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
I'm going to use the second entry in this Discussion thread to list the games which have breached their limits. Please refer to there for a quick look at which games have already had too many entries.
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this math trade does order of wants matter? With some MT it is important and others it is not....just want to know if I need to bother ranking my list.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically not, but trust me - when you get to step 4 it's a LOT easier to spot mistakes you've made if you rank in order of your preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, one of the more recent features of the OLWLG is to give an "error" notice if you have ranked your games and it detects that you are "trading down". It only takes a minute to rank everything and can save you a lot of heartache.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what do you mean by "trading down"? how is this detected?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
what do you mean by "trading down"? how is this detected?
I was actually wondering this myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the OLWLG, if you assign values, it sorts the items appropriately and also detects if you may have made a mistake in your want lists.

An example:

There are three games in the trade you want. You enter a value of 100 for one, 75 for the second, and 50 for the third.

You have six games of your own in the trade. You really want the item you valued 100, so you mark all six of your games for that item. For the item you valued for 75, you only mark three of your games for that item. Then for the item valued at 50, you accidentally mark four of your games for that item.

The OLWLG detects this potential error and gives you a warning.

The idea is that if you don't offer a particular game for a highly valued item, but then do offer that particular game for a low valued item, you probably made a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
In the OLWLG, if you assign values, it sorts the items appropriately and also detects if you may have made a mistake in your want lists.

An example:

There are three games in the trade you want. You enter a value of 100 for one, 75 for the second, and 50 for the third.

You have six games of your own in the trade. You really want the item you valued 100, so you mark all six of your games for that item. For the item you valued for 75, you only mark three of your games for that item. Then for the item valued at 50, you accidentally mark four of your games for that item.

The OLWLG detects this potential error and gives you a warning.

The idea is that if you don't offer a particular game for a highly valued item, but then do offer that particular game for a low valued item, you probably made a mistake.
This "feature" is actually very annoying in trades that don't allow geek gold arbitrage since it often highlights geek gold items in yellow for you geek gold items (you skipped them because the rules required you to skip them). (There are other situations where this also occurs that don't involve geek gold arbitrage exchanges, but that is where I most commonly see it.)

All it really is doing is guessing your valuations based on the number of total wants. It can help to locate boxes you accidentally skipped, but my experience has been these are more likely to indicate false positives than actual missed wants.

Depending on how you construct your wants, these might actually be helpful, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question: I have entered a Geek Gold item (outside the scope of BGG). After I've posted this item, can I increase the amount of Geek Gold I'm offering?

(I'm not sure I want to, and I understand the concerns of altering an offering after it has been posted. In this case, though, as long as I'm only making the item more attractive, it seems a valid question. Also, since we're only allowed 1 Outside the Scope of BGG entry, I'm not sure it would be valid to simply blank the entry and post a new item.).

Any thoughts?

I think, in this case, I won't make any changes, but I wanted to know what (if any) my options were (both in general for less restrictive math trades, and for this math trade specifically). Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rgatti wrote:
Question: I have entered a Geek Gold item (outside the scope of BGG). After I've posted this item, can I increase the amount of Geek Gold I'm offering?

(I'm not sure I want to, and I understand the concerns of altering an offering after it has been posted. In this case, though, as long as I'm only making the item more attractive, it seems a valid question. Also, since we're only allowed 1 Outside the Scope of BGG entry, I'm not sure it would be valid to simply blank the entry and post a new item.).

Any thoughts?

I think, in this case, I won't make any changes, but I wanted to know what (if any) my options were (both in general for less restrictive math trades, and for this math trade specifically). Thank you.
I think in general no one would have a problem if you increase the amount of GG. The only problem would be if you decreased it.

It's not uncommon that people will alter offerings if they result in adding things... i.e. adding sweeteners... as long as the original offer remains intact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I hear a complaint from someone (I can't imagine why..), I will agree with rvinyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Southwest
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a clever math trade with some good ideas. I admit I didn't understand all the rules when I first listed some games, but now that I'm "in compliance" I understand why Eric wants this info and restrictions. I think next time this will go much more smoothly because we now understand the rules and I think Eric will be able to explain his reasoning and strategic thinking more clearly (with the experience that comes with this math trade). Good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |