United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where's the Quality? Math Trade - Discussion
FezAZ wrote:
This is a clever math trade with some good ideas. I admit I didn't understand all the rules when I first listed some games, but now that I'm "in compliance" I understand why Eric wants this info and restrictions. I think next time this will go much more smoothly because we now understand the rules and I think Eric will be able to explain his reasoning and strategic thinking more clearly (with the experience that comes with this math trade). Good work.
Yes, but I still think there are cleaner ways to accomplish the same thing. For instance we still have a lot of games with a low rating in this math trade, there is just a wider variety of them, and I don't see a higher percentage of high end items, really. Is the objective to have high quality games or a variety of games, because I think this supports variety more than quality. If each individual was limited to one game under 6.0, then we'd get a few duplicate entries, but a lot less entries on the low end.

We've had some very high end math trades which simply restricted an individual's ability to list games under a certain rating that worked very well. (And my preference is average rating because that's a more accurate reflection of people's opinions. The ONLY purpose of the BGG rating is to derive a rank, and since a large number of fake ratings are added to determine this value, it is not a true indicator of ANYBODY's opinion. Use rank, if that's what you want to use!)

I stopped listing when I understood the rules, and I probably would have skipped this one had I understood them fully. Still, I appreciate anyone's attempts to run a math trade and I'll participate with what I've listed so far. But if there's another one that makes me reference multiple outside sources to determine acceptability, I'll let that one slide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
Valar Dohaeris
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt anybody would have a problem with somebody altering a math trade entry to increase the amount of geekgold offered.

Adding sweeteners is usually going to be ok as well. I can see it being a problem, however, if you have a shipping policy other than paying for full shipping. If a person wants the initial item and is expecting to pay no or little shipping for it if they receive it in the math trade, they may not notice when a sweetener they did not want is added to it and the shipping price is increased. Could be a problem on occasion, but probably not often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CyanideNow wrote:
I doubt anybody would have a problem with somebody altering a math trade entry to increase the amount of geekgold offered.

Adding sweeteners is usually going to be ok as well. I can see it being a problem, however, if you have a shipping policy other than paying for full shipping. If a person wants the initial item and is expecting to pay no or little shipping for it if they receive it in the math trade, they may not notice when a sweetener they did not want is added to it and the shipping price is increased. Could be a problem on occasion, but probably not often.
I don't see how that could be a problem either. They could always say just ship me the copy of Employee of the Month that you originally had listed and keep the sweeteners of Merchant of Venus and Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit that you added after the fact since that will add almost $15 to the shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
Valar Dohaeris
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes. This is true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
The OLWLG will not allow me to ADD items #541 or #114 to my want list.

Both of these are copies of La Citta.

As far as I can tell these are the only two items out of the 600+ that don't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. I'm not having any problem, myself. Try quitting out of the browser, then restarting it. If that doesn't work, try a full restart.

If that doesn't work, geekmail both JeffyJeff and myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vaughn wrote:
The OLWLG will not allow me to ADD items #514 or #114 to my want list.

Both of these are copies of La Citta.

As far as I can tell these are the only two items out of the 600+ that don't work.

I have to assume it is due to the accented "a" character. What web browser are you using?

It works for me here on Safari and I don't even have any items entered in the trade!

While we are talking about it, maybe we can get the OLWLG switched over to UTF-8 to avoid problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
While we are talking about it, maybe we can get the OLWLG switched over to UTF-8 to avoid problems.
Since the OLWLG is a program that is only updated when refreshed (so, the data is stored locally instead of generated on-demand), wouldn't it be fairly easy to scan each line for foreign characters and simply replace them with something generic (and printable) like "*"? (And probably only slightly more complicated to detect specific foreign characters and replace them with the unaccented English/roman characters. So, you end up with things like La Citta, Tal der Konige, Rheinlander, etc)

This would also allow the entire want list to be sent as a GeekMail instead of stopping after the first foreign character that is encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just occurred to me that DST was yesterday (we don't have it in Tucson). Guess that explains why no one has submitted for the past hour - all times are actually in Tucson time (which I guess is now Pacific time).

Oh well. It just means everyone gets/got an extra hour. Shouldn't be any problems.

Closing submissions in 2 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where's the Quality? Math Trade - Discussion - List CLOSED, Please Submit Wantlists.
Submissions are now closed. I'm not sure if I need to do anything to allow users to submit their wantlists, but I don't see it, and I will contact JeffyJeff about it immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where's the Quality? Math Trade - Discussion - List CLOSED, Please Submit Wantlists.
Ok, looks like I accidentally screwed up a little and sent a premature summary such that the "official results* look like they're up. Fortunately, it was *massively* premature, and "no one traded," so just ignore it.

There needs to be more documentation for the organizer of a math trade on the OLWLG site. I should have it all figured out now, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a question about my item #672 by GeekMail. The picture of La Strada shows a different game, but La Strada is the correct sweetener. The text is correct.

Clay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wantlists submitted. Now comes the hard part, followed by the fun part.

Good luck, and happy hunting to all. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Submitted my wants. Not expecting anything from this one as I just had a huge trade last month, but I figured it couldn't help but throw a couple of items up as a "you never know." Overall a very good list of games! Hope you all find some success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack K
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Treasure those you love...
mbmbmbmbmb
I put mine in earlier. I'm sorry to say that having had a huge number of trades since the start of the year (24 so far, I think), having purchased four games and currently holding a $30 GC from one of the online retailers, I've been a fair bit pickier in this event. Most of my items (12 at this time) at least have want list lists.

Given that, I'd be happy with one or two deals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am in the same boat, having gleaned Stone Age, Agricola, Chang Cheng, Union Pacific, Munchkin Quest & Expansion, Caylus Magna Carta, Aquaretto, TtR: Switzerland, Jamaica & Expansion, Palmyra, and a few other titles in the last few weeks, I am also a bit more selective this time around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Sandor
United States
Monroe Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The BBC series is far better than the excellent NBC one. Now go watch it.
badge
This is not me but I have been known to dance like David Brent on occasion.
mbmbmbmbmb
My La Citta issue is fixed.
The > character at the end of the title is no longer there.
It's allowing me to add it now. Thanks all.

Q: Are we using the numeric values for the want lists?
In the 'Where's the Love?' math trade those were not being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the TradeMaximizer Wiki:

Quote:
By default, TradeMaximizer does not use priorities. The moderator can choose to use priorities by specifying a priority scheme as an option (eg, LINEAR-PRIORITIES).

When using priorities, each wanted item in a want list is assigned a certain cost, where lower cost means higher priority. The system then uses cost as a tie-breaker among different ways of achieving the maximum number of trades. In particular, it finds the set of trades that has the minimum total cost, where total cost is the sum of the costs of all the individual items traded.

All priority schemes begin by finding the rank of each wanted item in a want list. The cost is then calculated as a function of rank.

* In LINEAR-PRIORITIES, cost = rank.
* In TRIANGLE-PRIORITIES, cost = 1+2+...+rank = rank*(rank+1)/2.
* In SQUARE-PRIORITIES, cost = rank*rank.
* In SCALED-PRIORITIES, cost = 1 + (rank-1)*2520/number of wants.

In the simplest case, rank is equal to the position of the item in the list. In other words, the first wanted item has rank 1, the second wanted item has rank 2, and so on.

The simple case can be altered in two ways. First, the moderator can set the SMALL-STEP=num option. This sets how much the rank increases when you move from one position to the next. (By default, the small-step value is 1.)

Second, the user can include a semicolon in a want list. A semicolon says "increase the rank of the next item by the big-step value". (The big-step value is 9 by default, but can be set by the moderator using the BIG-STEP=num option.)

For example, in the want list

A : B C ; D
We will *NOT* be using priorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary T.
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
From the TradeMaximizer Wiki:

Quote:
By default, TradeMaximizer does not use priorities. The moderator can choose to use priorities by specifying a priority scheme as an option (eg, LINEAR-PRIORITIES).

When using priorities, each wanted item in a want list is assigned a certain cost, where lower cost means higher priority. The system then uses cost as a tie-breaker among different ways of achieving the maximum number of trades. In particular, it finds the set of trades that has the minimum total cost, where total cost is the sum of the costs of all the individual items traded.

All priority schemes begin by finding the rank of each wanted item in a want list. The cost is then calculated as a function of rank.

* In LINEAR-PRIORITIES, cost = rank.
Wait, what? We're using priorities???

edit: Saw your edit. No priorities. Thanks for clearing that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, we are not using priorities. Sorry, my last post got cut off for some reason.

To repeat:

THERE ARE NO PRIORITIES IN THIS MATH TRADE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Maxwell
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to let everyone know that my copy of Union Pacific will have a blank wantlist. I only entered it to try to get diehard4life's Pirate LEGO offer, which he pulled since his description wasn't accurate.

(On the plus side we're working out a deal for the LEGO even though it wasn't as complete as he originally thought. arrrh )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon

BACON

baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon

OK, I am bored. And hungry. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, everything is better with Bacon. That would include Math Trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates as to want lists in, etc? snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farid Widjaya
United States
Lancaster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL Christian, you're pumped up about this trade aren't you?

You know, it would be cool if I somehow get some more games from you this time since you're such an awesome trader.. but alas, I dont think that's going to happen zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |