Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If you're not in my family and you're close enough for me to feel breath from your mouth then you're too damned close! (and get off my damn lawn!)

What is your personal space or area of comfort. I've read that americans are the most standoffish of any persons in the world. They (read you folks) consistently need 2 1/2 to 3 feet of personal space around them. That is roughly I think the space that your arms outspread can emcompass. Does this work for youse guys?

Please do tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you can't walk, crawl. If you can't crawl..... well, you know the rest.
badge
Any game is the right game with the right crowd.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are bleeding from the sharp stick, you are to close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My space is located between the left and right ALT keys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My radius is about 12,000 miles. So, get off my planet. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

If you're not in my family and you're close enough for me to feel breath from your mouth then you're too damned close! (and get off my damn lawn!)

What is your personal space or area of comfort. I've read that americans are the most standoffish of any persons in the world. They (read you folks) consistently need 2 1/2 to 3 feet of personal space around them. That is roughly I think the space that your arms outspread can emcompass. Does this work for youse guys?

Please do tell.

35 inches is my shoulder to cuff on a tailored shirt. So, one arm, stuck straight out to the side, is the radius of my personal space.

Enduring being the youngest of four siblings adds three or four inches to that when I'm suspicious. You become flinch-conditioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are in the same aisle as me, you are too close. These are my books, toys, games, movies, guitars, tomatoes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Michigan.

A couple select people are OK to be in state. Mostly they have accounts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erniepaul wrote:
If you are in the same aisle as me, you are too close. These are my books, toys, games, movies, guitars, tomatoes, etc.

This was at least like my youngest niece when she was way little... you could be looking at something in the aisle with us but god help you if you picked it up and moved away... she'd be on you faster than a loss prevention officer saying, "Put it down... it's mine... YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!!"

I learned to skulk around really well with her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
My Space? I don't believe in these new fangled internet forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're touching me, or almost touching me, and I don't know you, then you are too close. I once had a customer back me up into a display of HABA games as they kept inching forward.

Scary.
wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Please do tell.

Back away. You're in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shebby wrote:
If you're touching me, or almost touching me, and I don't know you, then you are too close. I once had a customer back me up into a display of HABA games as they kept inching forward.

Scary.
wow

I don't suppose you could just knee them in the happy sack and blame it on an old childhood injury?

Or I suppose if you could call belches on command you could just let loose in their face and then apologize... "oh, so sorry... did I just do that... my face is so red". blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Clockmakers lie
mbmbmb
*hugs*

There. That wasn't so bad, was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I was comfortable enough in Madrid's subway in rush hour, so I'm pretty sure that my requirements are almost nil.

I try to do my best at giving poor Americans their space anyway. I have a lot more trouble with your average American's idea of what constitutes acceptable displays of emotion. The body language and tone of voice that is perfectly normal between two Spaniards having a mild argument is seen in by Americans as something that might come to blows.

Compared to Spaniards, Portuguese and Italian, you all seem quite cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Compared to Spaniards, Portuguese and Italian, you all seem quite cold.

It may have something to do with that for the better part of the past two centuries, The majority Americans rarely lived close enough to see what their neighbor is wearing, whereas in these countries you are lucky if you could turn around in a circle without bumping someone for the same time frame. Americans who are not on urban mass transit or in club/concert venues may not experience the sensation of another person all day. One tends to live a very mentally internal life like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm freaky for an American, in that my personal space is inside my clothes.
Unless I really don't like you, you can be touching me, and I'll only worry about it because it probably makes you uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
I was comfortable enough in Madrid's subway in rush hour, so I'm pretty sure that my requirements are almost nil.

Would you be comfortable in this train?

It's situational for me. If I'm standing in a crowd, I don't feel uncomfortable standing right next to someone. If I'm in a line at a store, there's no need for you to stand right up against me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't so much worry about the space right near, or in front of me as I do the space immediately behind me.

If you're within three feet of me, looking over my shoulder, you're giving me the willies...

Grocery stores, and other lines, I tend to stand at right angles to the flow of traffic, with my back to the candy display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mileser wrote:

You may want to try a low carb diet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
mileser wrote:

You may want to try a low carb diet....

Nah if your that far gone, just go with the lypo (lipo?) and the tummy tuck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:
I'm freaky for an American, in that my personal space is inside my clothes.
Unless I really don't like you, you can be touching me, and I'll only worry about it because it probably makes you uncomfortable.

Hmmm, inside yer clothes you say? It gives new meaning to wanting to get inside yer pants. Sorry, I had to say it. I had no choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can see you, you are too close. I avoid aisles at the grocery store if anyone is in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james browning
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
Michigan.

A couple select people are OK to be in state. Mostly they have accounts here.

Neat! we share the same personal space! (Showing a "mitten hand") My space is *here*, where's yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal space of course expands and contracts depending on context, but I've read about how Americans want a bit more distance and that feels right to me in my experiences in Europe and even Canada.

I think due to being a geek I'm probably even more standoffish. I'd rather not shake hands, not because of any OCD reasons, but rather a mixture of disliking the formality and not really wanting to have personal space crossed. I'd be quite happy if our culture adopted the Japanese bow.

When I started dating my wife, who's from Canada, I quickly found to my horror how everyone wanted to hug and for women you were supposed to do the double air kiss for greetings and goodbyes.

My wife's best friend still makes fun of me about the time I first met her. We approached and I dutifully extended my hand to fit into, what I thought, were social norms. I may not like to shake hands but I'll still do it. Instead she's suddenly in my face, trying to give a hug AND a kiss. She said my eyes suddenly bugged out and my face contorted.

When we go up to Canada now I suck it up and grind through the large social gatherings where a dozen hugs and two dozen kisses are are expected. I can't stand it, but "when in Rome..." still, it's pretty draining and stressful to me.

I'd be quite happy just to say "Hi!" to the whole group, maybe half wave my hand and that would be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teh Internet is my space. If you continue to use it please leave your money on the fridge. Thanks robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.