Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your personal view of God?

Is s/he a vast universal figure who sits on a throne of light and dispenses sporadic justice with a wave of it's hand and a flight of angels off to do it's bidding?

Is it a figment of our imagination and formed only from the terrestial group mind. Do we make our own god through what we believe and desire to be true. (could this be why s/he appears so infrequently now because belief is so hard to come by?)

Is God a figure from the universe or beyond who dabbled in our genetic pattern and now only millenia old systems monitor an experiment where the originator may be many years gone dead.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'd say a god is a human concept developed as a more anthropomorphised form of the myths that have been traditionally used to explain nature and to teach the youger generations certain moral principles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawson
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
What is your personal view of God?

I believe that God is the essence of love and goodness attached to consciousness (albeit one beyond my understanding -- I have to imagine that the ratio of a flea's understanding:mine is far more limited than mine:God's, for instance). I believe that this essence created the universe and cares about it. I think that God acts in our world, mostly through people.

I am a Christian, and I believe that God came to Earth embodied in the form of Jesus of Nazareth. I think that the purpose of this was to send a concrete example of the message God had been trying (unsuccessfully, for the most part, both before then and later) to send: that The Point is to love one another, where "loving" and "one another" do not quite mean what we typically take them to mean (because we don't want them to mean what God means by them).

In my life, God is a force who loves me despite my flaws and who speaks to and calls out the best that I have to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Nunes
Portugal
Odivelas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it either doesn't exist or is the architect of the simulation we are currently living in.

Either way, speculation or wishful thinking about an entity I have no way to ascertain is here are not really my thing and I prefer to not burn my brain with it.

I find that fantasy and sci-fi literature fill my void of myth-believing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
God is whatever it tells you that it is. If anybody else tells you, they can stick it up their ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
More to the point is perhaps what G-d isn't. G-d is not mass-energy and has no physical form, nor is G-d spirit or anything else. When I refer to G-d, I usually use the Name H` which refers to the Four Letter Name; that Name is fundamentally a verb and likeall Hebrew verbs has grammatical gender. So, since the Name is masculine, I refer to G-d H` as "He". Yer other Names exist which are feminine. One Name in particular is even plural in form and in the Chumash is referred to by a pluralpronoun at times, but the verb and conextassociated are singular-- all being similar to maim the word for water which is singular but plural in form. To say G-d is male or female or neter is silly; theconceptsdon't apply. G-d is not life as we know it but is not dead, inanimate or alien either. G-d is One and the universe has fundamentally no separate existence, but the universe is not G-d any more than we are, although we too have no separate existence from G-d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
More to the point is perhaps what G-d isn't. G-d is not mass-energy and has no physical form, nor is G-d spirit or anything else. When I refer to G-d, I usually use the Name H` which refers to the Four Letter Name; that Name is fundamentally a verb and likeall Hebrew verbs has grammatical gender. So, since the Name is masculine, I refer to G-d H` as "He". Yer other Names exist which are feminine. One Name in particular is even plural in form and in the Chumash is referred to by a pluralpronoun at times, but the verb and conextassociated are singular-- all being similar to maim the word for water which is singular but plural in form. To say G-d is male or female or neter is silly; theconceptsdon't apply. G-d is not life as we know it but is not dead, inanimate or alien either. G-d is One and the universe has fundamentally no separate existence, but the universe is not G-d any more than we are, although we too have no separate existence from G-d.

I think your "o" key might be broken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which one? I don't have a 'concept of God' that I personally believe in, but I'm aware of many of them. If we're talking the Judeo-Christian God, then my answer would have to be 'a logical contradiction'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
God is between those brackets -> ()
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What is God?

A remnant but comforting metaphor from the infancy of our species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marqzen wrote:
Quote:
What is God?

A remnant but comforting metaphor from the infancy of our species.

Are you speaking of the Old testament paranoïd one or the New testament homophobic one?
There is nothing comforting at the idea that either one is watching my every single step, and the prospect of spending an eternity with these charming fellows is really frightening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to expand a bit on my question... I should have supplied that God isn't just some Christian construct but any religion's head of the food chain deity. I used the name/word God because I guess it's closest to what I'm used to and I always think of some distracted figurehead with his thoughts in the clouds and the needs of earth going unanswered because he's lost interest in the whole shebang.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think God is a creation of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

No one who says they know exactly who and what G-d is ought be taken seriously. If G-d exists, then G-d is something completely outside the human ken. This is why G-d is generally described in terms of specific attirbutes. The Name H` basically means He Who IS/Exists/Happens (Everywhere/Always). He is also called Borei Ha'olam, He Who Creates/Is Creating the World and yes the use of present tense is intended. Eloqim which implies anapparent but misleading separation of those who decide or choose at every point and every moment of existence. The Ain Sof means He who has no limit or end. Yet all these and the myriad other Names describe the same G-d.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Yet all these and the myriad other Names describe the same G-d.

And different gods...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I think that's a good thought and I agree that people do need a higher being to look up to, blame, call out for... but don't you think it's odd that despite the small niggling differences... the gods of the world are really quite a bit alike?

Creation stories are all built along similar veins.

Destruction stories are the the same.

Makes you wonder if there isn't someone or something feeding all the stories with a small bit of reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:

If God is something 'completely outside the human ken' then why would 'worship' be an appropriate recation? Isn't it just as likely that the right thing to do is to balance teacups on your head, murder random strangers or spend 10 years sitting on top of a pole?

For a man who claims to believe God is compeltely outside your ken you certainly behave as if you know a lot about him. Typical of the deeply religious though, to hold utterly contradictory ideas without noticing.

Worshipping G-d is not a Jewish notion and frankly I'd recommend against it. The G-d I believe in wants people to live their lives in the here and now doing as much goodness and kindness to each other as possible.

Odd, isn't it, that you are so full or prejudice and hatred and yet presume a smug condescending attitude? Since your own remarks make it clear you have no conception of what my attitudes are, you can hardly call them contradictory in an informed manner. of course, why should mere facts bother you?After all, you're a "rationalist".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vapix
msg tools
mbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

... but don't you think it's odd that despite the small niggling differences... the gods of the world are really quite a bit alike?

Destruction stories are the the same.

Makes you wonder if there isn't someone or something feeding all the stories with a small bit of reality.

... an evolving meme. "Parallel evolution" of the memes is to be expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leland Pike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeinzGuderian wrote:
I'd say a god is a human concept developed as a more anthropomorphised form of the myths that have been traditionally used to explain nature and to teach the youger generations certain moral principles.

How could what most people currently think of as God be more anthropomorphized than the gods of mythology when God is now generally thought of as an immaterial being? Even Christian theology teaches that when God (the Son) became man (Christ) He only added human nature to His inherently divine (non-physical) nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:

I think that's a good thought and I agree that people do need a higher being to look up to, blame, call out for... but don't you think it's odd that despite the small niggling differences... the gods of the world are really quite a bit alike?

Small, niggling differences? Really? I'd say that the differences between Greek myths and modern monotheistic religions are pretty big. Heck, I'd say the differences between Christianity of the 13th century and Christianity of today are pretty big.

Quote:

Not at all.

Quote:

A much simpler explanation is that many stories build on each other -- that has the additional advantage of explaining why so many of the similarities fit together in terms of chronology and geography.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
A much simpler explanation is that many stories build on each other -- that has the additional advantage of explaining why so many of the similarities fit together in terms of chronology and geography.

Simpler - and well supported by historic evidence cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I can't believe that such an offensive remark got ANY thumbs.

On the other hand, most people don't realize how IMPORTANT it is for Orthodox Jews to not take the Lord's name in vain, including spelling it out. Its a sign of respect, not an inability to spell.

But yet, it seems that unless you push a strictly secular viewpoint, you must be an idiot on these boards it seems. *sigh*

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Back on topic-
When Quozl asked this question, I told him this. I re-read it, and don't need feel the need to change.

Darilian wrote:

First of all, I'm not sure I'm an atheist, but I'm certainly not a Deist (much less a Christian). I feel most comfortable with the term Agnostic (to which my atheist friends always respond, "Don't be agnostic, BE SOMETHING! ).

(The above was for the crowd that thinks that because I defend guys like Latria and Ironcates this makes me a Christian, or even a Fellow Traveler to Christianity. No, I just like to make arguments a bit more fair..... )

FOR ME-
God is (would be?) that transition point between the knowable and the unknowable.

We know from Einstein that matter and energy are interchangable- 'E=MC^2'. For me, God is that transition point between matter and energy. Between when Ice is liquid and solid. In the nooks of and crannies of ideas where they can be both true and false at the same time (depending on perspective).

God is in moonlight mist.

God is in walking behind where I work (in Central Texas) and seeing a group of Hindi coming out of their religious temple in the shopping center in their festive 'going to church' clothes playing with their kids and just socializing- just like pictures of Pilgrims in Massachusettes, except that they are Hindi and not Christian. The fact that this can occur in TEXAS to me is an amazing thing.

God is seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time by dawns early light.

God is the confrontation with the unknowable, the unthinkable, and then COMING TO TERMS with that. Thats the best description I can get for that feeling that Moses must have had when he confronted the burning bush- this feeling of 'Damn! I DON'T know everything- but now, a small piece of the world finally makes a bit more sense.'

Is God something outside of ourselves, or is that sense of transcendent 'awe' something wired within our brain when we make some connnection that we've never made before? I don't know. But if God DOES exist, He's there.

Just under the surface, in the nooks and crannies. And unless you make that JUST right connection, you won't see him. You have to listen....

I mostly definitely think that any attempt to define God in 'human' terms is really limiting- IF God exists, he's most certainly not some guy with a beard.

Rather, God is both being and becoming. He would be a reason to do, and a reason to be. When something changes state, or you gain insight into something you never knew before, when you jump out of your bathtub and scream 'Eureka', when you face down the bear and see you death and then he just sniffs the air and goes another direction and in that moment of adrenaline you're amazed you're still alive- those moments ARE/ARE because/Give insight into God. (Or, some unknown brain state of mind.)

Its the moment when you realize that as a human being, we are almost limitless in our ability to acheive, but also terribly trapped in our human limitations.

I could be New Agey, and say that is the sum of the 'Yin/Yang' perspective, but its both more (and less) than that.

I do find it interesting that one commonality of all religion is the sense of trying to understand this sense of 'transcendent awe'.

And if there is one problem I have with 'atheism' its that it ignores, or marginalizes, that sense of awe. I'm a humanist, but even I find the self congratulatory sense in some of the more extreme atheists (We're human, we're SOOO cool) to verge on chauvanism...

We're like monkeys in a cage, but we can't see the little children looking at us through the glass. We just chatter, oblivious to the greater world outside. But if we could just STOP TALKING for a moment and LISTEN, we might hear the little boy tapping on the glass to tell his sister- "Look at the funny monkeys!"

Thats the best metaphor I can come up with.

Darilian

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/378592/page/2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

I think your "o" key might be broken ;)

On the other hand, most people don't realize how IMPORTANT it is for Orthodox Jews to not take the Lord's name in vain, including spelling it out. Its a sign of respect, not an inability to spell.

But yet, it seems that unless you push a strictly secular viewpoint, you must be an idiot on these boards it seems. *sigh*

Darilian

To be fair, it seemed to be purely jest, not an insult in any way, shape or form. I didn't see anyone calling anyone else an idiot, not anyone pushing a purely secular ideology, so I'm not sure why you're jumping to conclusions on that. I doubt Moshe was offended, as he seems to be a great guy and might have even smiled at the joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Zaphod wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Darilian

It was a joke, you should probably lighten up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.