Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past few years, we have used the free Tax Cut or Turbo Tax software you could get through irs.gov. There was still a fee for filing, but at least the software was free.

This year, I can't find any references to that unless you make under a certain income threshhold.

Question 1: Has anyone else found a method of getting the free software this year?

Question 2: So, if I have to purchase software to file my taxes (because I don't have hard copies of the forms and want to file electronically), what is a very good package that is reasonably priced?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are web sites where you fill out your tax info, then either pay a filing fee or copy the info to paper and file yourself.

www.taxengine.com is one I've used before, but I don't recommend them. Last year their software had bugs that ended up costing me a fair amount of money due to having the filing rejected then I had to refile and pay late fees. (I still don't know what the bug was - their software claimed that the filing was perfect, but it had been discarded by the IRS and they never notified me. Finally I called the IRS to ask where my stimulus check was, they said "you never filed taxes," oops! So I tried a few more times through the taxengine stuff, had the same result, finally copied it to paper, filed it, and it went through.) There are other similar web sites, I'd recommend trying one. But not taxengine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
There are web sites where you fill out your tax info, then either pay a filing fee or copy the info to paper and file yourself.
That's kinda what I recall. And we always used one of the "name" brands (Tax cut or Turbo Tax). But this year, we don't see that option (paying only the filing fee).

Any thoughts on what you'll use this year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Free filing is available at http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html?portle...

Your income has to be under $56,000 to qualify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my wife up graded TurboTax this year and I don't recall it being much more then the normal filing fee. I'll try and remember to ask her when she gets back in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Anne Morency
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister (who works seasonally for H&R Block) suggested TaxAct to us this year since we can't get to see her to do ours this year. It's free for federal and like 7 for state.. might be slightly more for online W2's.

Beth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

That's a great recommendation, provided you have at least some familiarity with the forms. Taxslayer is another program where you can do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
eiknip wrote:
My sister (who works seasonally for H&R Block) suggested TaxAct to us this year since we can't get to see her to do ours this year. It's free for federal and like 7 for state.. might be slightly more for online W2's.
I forgot about that one, though we've used it before. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.