Subject: Enemy bunker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Brock
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
While advancing through a village, my squad ran into an enemy HMG and an enemy squad both hunkered down inside a bunker off to the right and I thought, "Man, I really don’t like these guys."

Then, my CO had a great idea. "Pull back and they’ll go away!" he yelled into the Field phone.

“What?" I thought, "Could this be correct?" So, the signal was given to fall back and (what was left of) the US squad left the village card, blissfully out of LOS of the enemy bunker.

The enemy then turned to each other and said, "Well, we scared them away! It’s Miller Time! Let’s go home!" Then they promptly picked up and left the bunker for who knows where.

Since the bunker was placed right of the mission’s right boundary, we forgot about it and went back to the village, resuming the mission happy in our knowledge that the bunker was empty and wouldn’t attack us again. (Even if the bunker were still in our path it would probably never be filled again since the new PC would likely generate something on another card or nothing at all).

Is this correct? If so, seems like a great way to deal with an enemy strong point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's true. I see why it's done, but it is slightly problematic for the game that you can trigger a really deadly PC, then move out of the way, then just move back the next turn.

But remember it still takes a 2-3 turns, and time is in short supply in many of these missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve hit the nail on the head here. It can be manipulated to an extent - I guess most things can if we try hard enough. But it is a losing strategy. There isn't enough time to make any hay like that. Besides, there are SO many variables here, so many things that can happen, that it isn't an issue. At least I don't think so.

Have fun!
Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaroslaw Kuczynski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildspaceace wrote:
The enemy then turned to each other and said, "Well, we scared them away! It’s Miller Time! Let’s go home!" Then they promptly picked up and left the bunker for who knows where.

It would make a great addition to most FoF AARs ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry - I'm missing something here.... why does the enemy disappear ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Espiritu
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wildspaceace wrote:

"What?" I thought, "Could this be correct?" So, the signal was given to fall back and (what was left of) the US squad left the village card, blissfully out of LOS of the enemy bunker.

Is this correct? If so, seems like a great way to deal with an enemy strong point.

So, if I understand correctly, the sequence of events you were portraying was:

Turn N,
1. US Squad ordered to move forward into card with PC marker.
2. PC marker in the card was resolved and became an HMG+squad in bunker - probably at forward right and at maximum LOS.
3. VOF automatic weapons placed on US squad and PDF shown with arrow pointing from HMG card to US squad card.
4. VOF evaluated and squad took casualties. (because of your sentence: "What was left of the US squad").

Turn N+1
1. The Platoon HQ orders what's left of the squad to fall back via field phone.

But, as I understand it there are some things that could be missing here:

1. If the squad took casualties then it should have been pinned as a result. If so, then isn't there a rule that says pinned steps can't move until they get un-pinned? Doesn't that require a rally attempt?
2. If we were are dealing with field phones then I assume this is WW2, and squads didn't get field phones, only the Platoon HQ did.
a. Which means the platoon HQ couldn't order the squad to fall back, they could only do so via a general initiative card draw.
3. As long as there are non-casualty steps in the card, i.e. LAT steps, then the enemy would keep firing at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brock
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
BGG Junkie:

LOL!

Rich:

When enemy units have no VOF and LOS to US units, they are removed and replaced with a potential contact marker.

Raymond:

The HQ deployed yellow smoke, which meant “Fall Back.” So, upon seeing the smoke the remainder of the squad (fire team and litter team) pulled back. Unfortunately, so did about half the company!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Espiritu
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

That's good to know! My first two attempts at this game I've been treating pinned units as immobile unless I rallied them again. So I looked at the rulebook and you're right - pinned units can move to a friendly occupied card (and I think without an enemy VOF but I have to check that again).

As for the company moving back - I like to give my 2 forward platoon HQs a signaling device where the signal is just for that platoon. So, red parachute means 1st platoon fall back, for example.

Thanks!
Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.