Popular Tags: [View All]
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Because he is my very best friend :)
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe I did it.. After two full years of listening to my boyfriend rave about BGG, I have decided to join.

He always making me play games of his 100+ collection.

Here are some of the ones I like:
- Stone Aged
- Mr. Jack (and he won't play with me anymore)
- Power Grid
- Descent
- Dominion
- Shadows over Camelot
- Agricola

Here are some of the games I defintely do NOT like:
- Ticket to Ride (because of his mother and grandmother)
- Primordial Soup
- Railroad Tycoon
- Anything Lord of the Ring

I just moved to Texas in the last year, and we are always looking for new gamers to play with.

Based on my likes and dislikes, is there any you suggest the I would like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are tons of gaming groups in Texas. Which part of Texas are you in and we can help you find a group.

Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Fighting evil by moon light, winning love by daylight, never running from a real fight, she is the one named Sailor Moon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I live in the Waco area. And I'm kinda excited about being on board game geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leanne, welcome to BGG

There's a Women and Gaming forum with an intro thread, if you're interested, as well.

If you like the worker placement and resources aspect of Agricola, you might look at Pillars of the Earth and Cuba.

If you like the dice aspect of Stone Age, take a look at Kingsburg and To Court the King.

Arkadia is about building a city, but has some interesting and different mechanics. You lay tetris-looking buildings and build a castle.

For something a little more abstract, but still beautiful and well made, check out Taluva or Mesopotamia.

For a cooperative game, something different, check out Pandemic. It works for 2-4 players, and you can customize the intensity. It's you against the game, so it's good for having a new gamer play, and they don't feel like they have to compete with more experienced players.

When you start finding people who like the same games you do, add them as geekbuddies, and then you can get recommendations based on their likes and dislikes, which might be more indicative of your shared tastes.

Again, welcome to BGG, and please geekmail me with any questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Pillars of the Earth, and Pandemic, and loved them! To Court the King I have never really got into though... Arkadia sounds really interesting though, will definitely have to look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

On the lighter side, I might recommend Wasabi! or Genji. My spouse and I have fun with both of these. If you like Descent you might also enjoy Runebound (Second Edition).

As always I would recommend checking these games out first. Each game listed here at BGG has great information, reviews, session reports, pictures...just about anything you need to research before making a potential purchase. This site has proven to be an invaluable resource for me so I hope it proves helpful to you and your gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My current favorite worker placement game is Tribune: Primus Inter Pares. I like the different victory conditions as well as being able to take over other people's factions.

You might also give Glory to Rome a try. It's great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek!

Judging from the games you already like, you may look into Caylus. It plays very well with two players and this is one of my wife's favorites.

Also Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is a much better traitor game then Shadows Over Camelot in my opinion.

As for another card game, Race for the Galaxy is tops in my book. I prefer RftG over Dominion, I feel it is a bit heavier. It does have a bit of a learning curve to master all the symbols, but once you've grasped that it is a very enjoyable game.

I've never played (though want to), but Ra is a classic auction game that scales very well from my understanding. I do believe it is being reprinted here in the next month or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leanne
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. I may have to get my boyfriend to take me to Austin to get some of them. He's always bugging me that I should buy a game and teach HIM. This may be my opportunity to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An old but greatly underrated game IMO is Scotland Yard.
Your enjoyment of Mr Jack made me think of it so I suspect you would like this too. Perhaps it can replace Mr Jack for you since your husband wont play it with you any more.

I strongly recommend it as a 2 player game - one person is Mr (or Mrs) X
The other person is all 5 coppers. One house rule tweak is to allow the police to be moved in any order.
From my reading of ratings for this game on BGG most people who don't like it think Mr X almost always escapes. Maybe when Mr X gets to listen to the group discuss their plans for where to move that may be the case but I would challenge anyone to win more than 30% of games as Mr X in 2 player games against anyone who knows what they are doing as the cops.
It is a very tense excitng game trying to capture (or avoid having captured) a character whose marker spends most of the game not on the board.
I like the art and colours of the old board but the new edition is fine. It comes with a cap to prevent Mr X from giving away their location to cops who watch their eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
Netherlands
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leanne,

Welcome to the Geek It's always nice to see another female gamer.

So, why won't your boyfriend play Mr. Jack with you anymore? I also have to ask what have his Mom and Grandmother done to make you dislike Ticket to Ride? Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really impressed that you have a list of games (with ratings!) in your collection already. Now your homework assignment is to add comments, telling us what you like and don't like about those games. (A) When people check comments on the game page, that will be useful information and (B) we can give better recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indigo beat me to the punch. If you can give us an idea why liked/disliked those games, it would make it easier to give you an idea of what might work. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the auction mechanics of Power Grid, then a couple other games you might enjoy are Amun-Re and Vegas Showdown.

Welcome to BGG, Leanne! I hope you find it as friendly and welcoming a place as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I'll second the Caylus recommendation, given your fondness of the worker placement games Stone Age and Agricola. And I recommend checking out gamers and game stores (Great Hall Games, Dragon's Lair) in Austin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lee
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Leanne

If you are ever up Dallas way then you might consider this sponsored by
Dallasgames.

http://www.dallasgamesmarathon.com/

This is usually held once a month. Just check the website for the current month,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.