Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Poulter
Scotland
Tranent
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a hardened Grognard I was surprised to see the following wargames in the Hotness list (as at 8/3, 1pm GMT):

15: Hundred Days Battles
20: Phase Line Smash
24: Operation Grenade
26: Fight in the Skies
28: Agincourt, The Battle of
30: Prague, The Battle of
31: Solomon Sea
32: Light Division
33: The Moscow Campaign
37: Centurion
38: Successors
40: Anvil-Dragoon: The Second D-Day

Apart from Successors, all the above are old games of perhaps average excitement and depth. So why are they in the Hotness list? I would expect Conflict of Heroes, Spartacus, Unhappy King Charles and other newish wargames to to be there...

Alan Poulter
grognard@grognard.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there is hope after all.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 5 Games on "The Hotness" right now:

Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena
1876 Centennial Baseball
Star Fleet Battles - Commanders Rulebook
Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game
Surf's Up, Dude!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Top 5 Games on "The Hotness" right now:

Pit Fighter: Fantasy Arena
1876 Centennial Baseball
Star Fleet Battles - Commanders Rulebook
Lord of the Rings Trading Card Game
Surf's Up, Dude!

At least two of those were on sale at Tanga within the last few days. That might explain some of them.

If I had to guess, I would say that the "Hotness" algorithm has changed so that the latency is MUCH shorter than it used to be. There were previously very few changes in it. Maybe it now reflects clicks/posts within say the last day or two rather than the last week or two?

Probably wrong, but that's my guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
snowman882 wrote:
If I had to guess, I would say that the "Hotness" algorithm has changed so that the latency is MUCH shorter than it used to be. There were previously very few changes in it. Maybe it now reflects clicks/posts within say the last day or two rather than the last week or two?

That would be a positive change in my book. It was just a little unexpected. Any word from any of the admins about what might have changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be some kind of bug. The hotness list is exactly the same as the hot marketplace list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
maka wrote:
There must be some kind of bug. The hotness list is exactly the same as the hot marketplace list

It's a bug - we're looking into it. The Marketplace "Hot" is determined by the Hotness... that's why they are the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael connor
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phaseline-Smash is a hell of a good game of modern operational combat, very detailed and complex and a solitaire game to boot!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
maka wrote:

It's a bug - we're looking into it. The Marketplace "Hot" is determined by the Hotness... that's why they are the same.

Hey that's cool.
thumbsup

Just out of curiosity (not that you guys don't have enough on your plate), has there been any discussion about the algorithm for "The Hotness" list? It seems to me there's some value in considering the effect of shorter latencies.

Maybe there could be a "daily" hotlist and a "monthly" hotlist with different calculations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
maka wrote:

Ah! So the bug wasn't the fact that they look the same... I usually select "recent" in the marketplace module, so I never noticed the "hot" list was the same as the general "hot" list...

Anyway, it doesn't seem very useful... I thought the marketplace hotness list would be determined by the activity of those games in the marketplace...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.