Popular Tags: [View All]
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I'm interested in finding opponents in the Ottawa area for some wargaming/boardgaming etc. Are there any local groups for meetups of this type? How does one get in touch with these groups? Any suggestions for good means of finding local opponents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

There are several groups in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. There's a guild here at BGG for two of the Ottawa groups. The guild page details when and where these two groups meet, and has some examples of the games that have seen table time so far this year. It's mostly Euros, but some Ameritrash (longer, theme-rich) games have been squeezed in of late as well. Wargames do occasionally get played, but not as often. You can browse through the guild members' collections to get a better idea of the types of games that are usually on offer.

Cheers,
Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sean. Thanks for the tip! I should be able to drop by this Wednesday nite and check it out. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,
Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shaver
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Rekim wrote:
Greetings,

I'm interested in finding opponents in the Ottawa area for some wargaming/boardgaming etc. Are there any local groups for meetups of this type? How does one get in touch with these groups? Any suggestions for good means of finding local opponents?
Hey Mike,

There are several groups in town.

The Ottawa Wargamers d'Ottawa, (don't know when but sounds like your cup of tea)
The two listed in the Guild above, (alt Tue/wed)
Carleton University (wed night)
Ottawa University, (Friday night)
The Alexander Game club. (Sun I think)
(most of the above have signs up with contact info at Fandom II (a local game shop) http://www.fandomii.com/
There's a group that plays at a Depanneur in Hull (On Tue?)
And a couple stores on the Gatineau side have game nights at their stores. Including www.jeux-triboulet.com. (on Thur I think)
More info about the French side can be found here http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/forums/index.php

You also may want to check out a local Con that's coming up www.cangames.ca. A couple of the clubs above will have a presence there and it's probably a good place to meet gamers.

Cheers,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Alexander group mentioned I hadn't heard of but had heard of the Ottawa Miniatures Group which turns out to be the same thing.

The link for that group is: http://www.creasey.ca/omg/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shaver
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
The Alexander group mentioned I hadn't heard of but had heard of the Ottawa Miniatures Group which turns out to be the same thing.

The link for that group is: http://www.creasey.ca/omg/

They used to be separate, but when the old War Museum closed and the new one wanted to rent them space, the OMG moved in with the AGC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like someone to play Conflict of Heroes, Star Wars Miniatures, Memoir '44 and other "light" wargames with. Oh, and also Game of Thrones LCG.

I don't think they are appropriate for the Wednesday night game nights at the Legion though. Maybe Game of Thrones LCG.

What group would be best for those type of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stray_flux wrote:

The Ottawa Wargamers d'Ottawa, (don't know when but sounds like your cup of tea)

You also may want to check out a local Con that's coming up www.cangames.ca. A couple of the clubs above will have a presence there and it's probably a good place to meet gamers.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for that great list of resources Mike. As you guessed, the Ottawa Wargamers sounds particularly interesting to me. I'm not able to Google up a website for this group. Do you have any recommendations for getting in touch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
I'd like someone to play Conflict of Heroes, Star Wars Miniatures, Memoir '44 and other "light" wargames with. Oh, and also Game of Thrones LCG.

I don't think they are appropriate for the Wednesday night game nights at the Legion though. Maybe Game of Thrones LCG.

What group would be best for those type of games?

Hi Adam,

I've played Memoir'44, and been looking for a good reason to pick up CoH. I'd be more than happy to hook up with you in a group environment or otherwise. Drop me an email anytime.

MikeR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shaver
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Rekim wrote:
stray_flux wrote:

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for that great list of resources Mike. As you guessed, the Ottawa Wargamers sounds particularly interesting to me. I'm not able to Google up a website for this group. Do you have any recommendations for getting in touch?

1) I believe Michel is one of the organizers.

Michel Boucher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2) I believe they have a flyer with contact info up at Fandom II and
3) if you haven't tracked them down by May they are hosting a table at Cangames and running board-wargames all weekend.

Welcome to BGG,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone who lives in the southern boonies of Ottawa, I run the Russell Area Boardgames Society (RABS). We meet at the Russell House Pub every other Tuesday.

You can join our facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RussellBoardgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
If you're in the East end of the city, the Orleans Game Group meets at Kessel Run in Orleans on Thursday evenings 6:30 - 10

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1487818494825702/?fref=ts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PS - before today, no one had posted to this thread in over 6 years. Best let sleeping threads lie, or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shields
msg tools
Hi,

Looking for gamers in Ottawa.

- AR -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike rosberg
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayshields wrote:
Hi,

Looking for gamers in Ottawa.

- AR -

Hi AR,

As I have discovered, the BGG forums are an awesome place to start your search.

Are you looking for gaming groups, or just searching for local opponents? What type of games are you looking to play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.