Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
My sudden interest in the Pacific Theater of Operations during World War II, through most of my military history studies Ive only been fond of Europe (particularly the Eastern and Mediterranean Fronts), for some odd reason I have a sudden urge to study the Pacific, more accurately the Japanese forces as I know very little about them. This leads to purchasing more books.

An almost simultaneous interest in the Korean and Vietnam Wars...awakened for some unknown reason within my mind...again more books.

Another sudden interest in Middle East Wars, purchased a book recommended by a fellow member here and now I want more...you guessed it more books.

The above have led to an almost incessant hankering for Tide of Iron with all of its glorious bitz to hurry up and get to the Pacific (and Eastern Front) and the move along to Middle East Wars and Vietnam...will the latter ever happen? Who knows, but it would be great if they did...I am seriously considering pre-ordering No Middle Ground and Lock 'n Load: Forgotten Heroes – Vietnam...

All this while were saving for a wedding .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wedding only lasts a few hours.

The books are a better investment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Use your local library instead of buying the books. Even if the library doesn't carry a particular title, they usually have a loan program, where they can get it for you if you request it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Use your local library instead of buying the books. Even if the library doesn't carry a particular title, they usually have a loan program, where they can get it for you if you request it.

But I want to own them...blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wedding marriage only lasts a few hours years.

The books are a better investment

I KID!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elope.

There's your costly wedding solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Books only keep you warm at night if you burn them on an open fire.
Books do not converse intelligently with you... unless you've been sniffing markers before hand.
Books are not soft and cuddly... unless you're buying one for a baby with the rattles and such.

Wives are a much better investment. Resist the temptation Luke... do not go over to the dark side of literacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Desiderata wrote:

But I want to own them...blush

Do you have a good used book store in town? That's where I'd start. And tell yourself you're only going to buy X books per month. That's what we had to do.

We had, I think, over 50 boxes of books when we moved here three years ago. I'm wondering how many we'll have the next time we move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly Amy with how small our town is its hit and miss. There is a used bookstore with lots of good books but its very hit and miss with books that pertain to my liking. This bookstore has had some golden deals for me though in the past and I make it a point to try and check the store once every week and a half. Some one out there has the same interests as I and is turning in books for cash there. I got a really good steal on the complete set of Time/Life's The Third Reich set, a hardbound 21 volume set, out of print, that was the find of the year 2 years ago LOL.

I mainly have to rely on Amazon's used book section, which is ok because Im part of a study market group that rewards its members with Amazon Gift Cards monthly ($15) so thats my budget basically LOL. The gift cards are just about free compared to the small surveys they have you answer .

Like I said its a wild card, last week we hit up abunch of thrift stores an the first one we stopped at had 6 books that were right up my alley. The rest, nothing military wise but some good cook books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbespm wrote:
Elope.

There's your costly wedding solution!

Worked for us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Estate and garage sales! Especially estate sales.
Many times the children and grandkids sell off wonderfully complete collections cheaply because they either have no idea of the value or are just happy to see them go to someone who shared Grandpa's interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.