Popular Tags: [View All]
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. The rules state the game is played counterclockwise. Yet, some of the strategy posts seem to only make sense if the game is played clockwise. I'm totally confused with BSW. Is that clockwise or counterclockwise? Is there an option in the settings to choose direction? What is the generally accepted manner of play overall?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost everyone I play with (everyone with the exception of Aaron Cinzori) plays clockwise. There's no real reason to play in opposite order, and so it never took off with our groups.

On a similar note, no one (except Aaron laugh ) likes to have the deal work like the rules suggest with players grabbing cards off the deck because it is slow and not worth the effort.

I don't mind having play order be odd for games if there is a reason. I usually play 3 player trick taking games with alternating play order so that people have an opportunity to play after different people, but if you are just going to play in a continuous order, then it makes little sense to have that order be opposite of convention for its own sake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
opposite of convention for its own sake.

I am given to understand that 'convention' in the orient is counter-clockwise and our practice of play proceeding clockwise is simply a western convention. Here's a case where a rules lawyer would have made a stink had it not been written down and, the author having written it down, it wasn't what we expected. I learned and play Tichu clockwise as well but did also note the rules say counter-clockwise.

-Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tichu is a swiss game. In switzerland, counter-clockwise play is normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Marandola
Canada
Mirabel
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is base on a old chinesse game. And In asia Counter clockwise is the normal way to play..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just play standing on your head if others in your group want to rotate in a different direction than your preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, but no one answered the real questions. Is it played clockwise or counterclockwise on BSW? Are all the strategy articles in the geek written assuming clockwise or counterclockwise play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
It's played top to bottom on BSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howaa wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, but no one answered the real questions. Is it played clockwise or counterclockwise on BSW? Are all the strategy articles in the geek written assuming clockwise or counterclockwise play?

There aren't any differences from clockwise to counter-clockwise, except for nomenclature issues in strategy guides (right becomes next-player-to-play, instead of left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Malachi wrote:
It's played top to bottom on BSW.

And when you lay your cards out in passing, the one you pass to your left, you're passing to the next-to-play opponent. So in that sense, it's leaning towards representing clockwise. Though as noted, after the pass it's top-to-bottom and directions are otherwise irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.