Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Things that members of your board game group say or do that get on your nerves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing games with my group last night and it is always an enjoyable experience. However, we have one guy that seems to always have something negative to say about EVERY game we play, even if he hasn't played it yet.

For instance, while playing Scotland Yard last night, he made some poor move decisions and was stranded around taxi only routes and was effectively out of the game. He gets up (mad because he is out) and decides that he doesn't like the game because it is "too easy for the fugitive to cheat."

Now, normally this wouldn't bother me, whatever, it is his opinion.

However, for every game that we played that night he didn't pay attention to the rules explanations (if it was a new game) and was caught by surprise when a game ended and he wasn't expecting it and blamed me by saying "you didn't tell us that!" or "maybe if we knew that the game ended then..." when I clearly explained everything and asked if anyone had questions and understood everything. The funniest part about this was that a few of the other players were getting annoyed by his behavior as well and telling him that everything was explained and he should pay more attention.

The final thing that really gets on my nerves is when we get a new game out (which means it isn't Railroad Tycoon) and he says he hates the game or wants to play something different before I have even unfolded the board!

But, because of the fun the other players and I have while playing I can easily let his petty comments fall by the wayside. Thank god for that!

Another thing that bothered me about a month ago occurred during a game of Arkham Horror with a different group. I taught everyone the game and wasn't expecting anyone to really "get" what to do right away, but made sure to explain that it was important to pay attention to the game to keep it moving. Sure enough, about an hour and a half in, about half of the players had lost interest and decided they didn't want to play the game that they were gung-ho about a couple of hours earlier. But they continued on and nearly finished the game.

I say nearly because we had to fight the Ancient One and about 5 minutes before the game was over with three out of seven characters still alive. Four of the players decided they had to leave immediately for some reason. Never mind that they had four hours to burn playing the game or that they originally wanted to play Civilization. This left three of us (who really enjoy the game) to pick up everything.

Needless to say, I won't be playing Arkham Horror with those four people again. Had they helped pick up rather than need to leave all of a sudden, I would probably be willing to give it a second chance with them. But you play and you learn. I will be playing the game again soon with the other two that enjoyed the game.

Again, it was the two that enjoyed the game that was the saving grace in this situation. And that made the game worthwhile for me.

Do any of you have pet peeve comments or behaviors that get on your nerves, perhaps those that regularly pop up from week to week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to play that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidewynnder wrote:

Sure enough, about an hour and a half in, about half of the players had lost interest and decided they didn't want to play the game that they were gung-ho about a couple of hours earlier.

I am a hard-boiled, long session lover. I have played The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen until my legs went to sleep from standing up and my back cramped from bending at the waist.

I even enjoy long games of Arkham Horror, but...

Every single game I have played of this that had more than three players was a nightmare of boredom and forgotten rules. The overall goal is confusing to new players and there are layers and layers of seemingly meaningless things happening. Doom track, terror track, horror track, cosmic horror track, etc.

Just to diffuse any arguments about the quality of the game itself, I will reiterate that I love playing the game with one, two, or three players that know how to play the game.

But, I can sympathize with the poor new player that pretty much has to do what he is told to have any chance of getting anywhere and who doesn't know exactly why things are happening for three to five hours.

Edit: Not even offering to clean up is a dick move. I don't let players (except my best friend who understands how delicate these things are) clean up my games, but I would expect an offer of help. At least stick around and chat while I do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Huh, I thought I was the only one who insisted on putting up his own games...I have a system for everyone of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
Huh, I thought I was the only one who insisted on putting up his own games...I have a system for everyone of them.

I know that many of our fellow BGGeeks do the same.

Many non gamers do not see the discrete elements of a game with the same granularity that gamers do. You can't just dump all the red counters in one bag and gray in another!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Sidewynnder wrote:

Sure enough, about an hour and a half in, about half of the players had lost interest and decided they didn't want to play the game that they were gung-ho about a couple of hours earlier.

But, I can sympathize with the poor new player that pretty much has to do what he is told to have any chance of getting anywhere and who doesn't know exactly why things are happening for three to five hours.

Edit: Not even offering to clean up is a dick move. I don't let players (except my best friend who understands how delicate these things are) clean up my games, but I would expect an offer of help. At least stick around and chat while I do it.

I offered to end the game and just call it quits for the day or do something else, but there was a split and some really wanted to continue, others not so much. I think due to that, those not interested decided to stick it out for the couple that enjoyed the game. But it was painful for everyone. I won't be playing with more than four again.

But the thing that really got to me was the leaving to avoid helping pick up. I set the game up by myself ahead of time so we would be ready to go and then they dipped out to avoid the "extra time" of cleaning up.

But, like I said, the two that enjoyed stayed to finish the final couple of minutes left and help pick up and expressed interest in playing again with fewer people. So, that will probably happen rather soon which should prove to provide a much more enjoyable experience.

It only takes a couple of people to save a terrible experience and make it worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Table talk.

"If I go here, and he goes there that will put Green (usually me) in last place"

Play your game and let everyone else play their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a gaming omnivore, I'm open to most games to at least try. My group tends toward heavier war and strategy games which I enjoy. However, Eurogames and games with plastic mini's tend to be branded as "gay" before they even hit the table. This has the effect of limiting exposure to new games which can be dissapointing. Not to mention the fact that the word "gay" is going out of style as a negative descriptor among educated hominids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Stein
United States
Oakdale
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whine . . . . . mostly about the dice, but almost as often about the result of driving a heavy cruiser into a swarm of drones or plasma torps (as if we haven't seen it before) AGAIN!!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Really! It's not just with gaming but in general as well. It's a character trait that drives me bonkers. It's "the weather" that caused the accident, not that you didn't put on any frikin' snow tires. "The prof has it in for me," and not because you didn't study. "The game is too [shallow | fiddly | a dice fest | xxxxxx], and not because you keep puting all your eggs in one basket, don't plan, ignored the rules briefing or whatever.

I have zero problem with, "guys, I have to be out of here by 23h30," as a player walks in at 18h30. But, when a player has to suddenly be somewhere at 01h30, I find that really childish. Frankly, I haven't come across it in a long time exactly because it is so childish.

But, what really unnerves me is petty cheating. I don't mean the out-and-out kind but those little indiscretions like when a player rolls two 1s and and two 2s while I'm looking at my cards for a moment and then as I turn my attention to him he swoops up his dice and says, "OK, so are you ready?" What I really find incredible is how some people's honour is so easily compromised as to be worth giving up in order to gain a slight advantage in one combat of a boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Table talk.

"If I go here, and he goes there that will put Green (usually me) in last place"

Play your game and let everyone else play there own.

Depends on the game played. Some games definitly need tabletalk to work or be enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done the following:

1. table talk
2. forgotten rules
3. dropped out part way through a cooperative game (but had someone replace me)
4. made dumb jokes
5. been too finicky about which games I would play
6. once accidentally farted, loudly, during the tense final turn of Colosseum.
7. complained about everyone showing up late, then showed up late
8. Said things that I thought were good-natured ribbing but were probably obnoxious
9. conveniently forgotten that I'd done most of these things when complaining about other people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
craniac wrote:

The Goddess gave you your body, so all its sounds & smells are divine. Never apologise for any of it.
- Marion Zimmer Bradley

Fart proudly.
- Ben Franklin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cannon
England
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very lucky to play most weeks with a bunch of great people and we encourage chit-chat, slagging off etc, but all in a good-mannered way. I'm all for this, but the thing that annoys me is when it gets around to a player's turn and they've clearly not thought a jot about their move. It's really not difficult to be thinking at least a bit about your next play in between turns. My other peeve is when a player decides to strike up a conversation with me just when it's my turn. Curiously, these are sometimes the people who fall foul of my first complaint.

That said, I keep this all in perspective - I'd rather deal with these issues any day and have a fun group of people to game with, than find myself playing with the silent serious types!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
We're out of beer.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dixon
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marqos wrote:
craniac wrote:

Awesome.

Awesome + 1.

I can see this being a great new mechanic in the right designer's hands shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Sr
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eisenphx wrote:
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Table talk.

Play your game and let everyone else play there own.

Depends on the game played. Some games definitly need tabletalk to work or be enjoyed.

I hate table talk when we are all competing against one another and somebody tries to advise the strategy against other players. Part of the game if winning with your own game play, Not anothers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
Table talk.

Play your game and let everyone else play their own.

This depends on the game but I enjoy games that offer the diplomatic side of saying 'If you go to point A it's better for you than point B'. Now, I don't lie and try to screw people but I am ultimately doing it to help myself.

The screw someone for no reason you alluded to...that's pretty lame. If it helps you then great but doing ridiculously chaotic things can really mess up certain games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belong to a game group with 3 other guys, and I can honestly say that after 8 months of playing with them, there is not a single thing any of them do that get on my nerves! I guess I'm lucky!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The Expanding Man wrote:
Marqos wrote:
craniac wrote:

Awesome.

Awesome + 1.

I can see this being a great new mechanic in the right designer's hands shake

Perhaps in a Bohnanza expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Suprised no one has mentioned analysis paralysis. Especially when learning a new game, that really gets on my nerves. I always try to move pretty quick when I'm learning. I know I'm going to miss stuff and play sub-optimally, but I will learn a lot faster if I just get the mistakes out of the way. It annoys me when a game takes twice as long because one person has to sit and think for freaking ever to make a move. It also means that I have to either deal with it, or feel like kind of a dick for pressuring him to move faster.

What is even more frustrating is most of the AP-prone players I know often take a long time to think and then make a so-so move anyway.

Not saying that every once in a while towards the end of a close and complex game it's not ok to take a couple minutes to think, but when it happens every turn (especially in a game with many players), it can really be infuriating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is one guy in my group that does some pretty annoying things:

- He never listens when someone is teaching a game he doesn't know, then asks tonnes of rules questions that were specifically covered
- He constantly needs to be reminded that it's his turn
- He complains that he never wins, although I'm sure he'd win more often if he'd pay attention
- He never helps put things away. As soon as a game is finished he disappears to the toilet, or out for a smoke, and he seems to have some sort of sixth sense as he always walks back in the room just as we're putting the lid back on the game box
- Worst of all, he never brings beer, but will happily drink other peoples'

Having said all that, I've been mates with him since we were kids so I can't really ask him not to play. We usually spend a good deal of time winding him up about all the annoying things he does while we're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
My group is generally pretty good, but one thing that gets on my nerves is the guy who tries to play others' moves. Generally I really enjoy cooperative games, but they cease to be fun when it's just one person dictating the flow of the game.

I've found a way around this by playing the antagonist role in semi-cooperative games like Fury of Dracula (second edition) and Descent: Journeys in the Dark. And Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game is coming in the mail tomorrow, so maybe I'll break that out and let all the bossy players get accused of being Cylons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cferejohn wrote:
Suprised no one has mentioned analysis paralysis. Especially when learning a new game, that really gets on my nerves. I always try to move pretty quick when I'm learning. I know I'm going to miss stuff and play sub-optimally, but I will learn a lot faster if I just get the mistakes out of the way. It annoys me when a game takes twice as long because one person has to sit and think for freaking ever to make a move. It also means that I have to either deal with it, or feel like kind of a dick for pressuring him to move faster.

What is even more frustrating is most of the AP-prone players I know often take a long time to think and then make a so-so move anyway.

Not saying that every once in a while towards the end of a close and complex game it's not ok to take a couple minutes to think, but when it happens every turn (especially in a game with many players), it can really be infuriating.

As a rule I find the worst for AP are the experienced players who are aware of how to optimize their strategy and then spend half an hour mulling over how best to achieve it.

That said, in response to other criticisms in this thread, it is encumbent on experienced players to ensure that newcomers enjoy the game and that they introudce it in an appropriate way. Just because you have explained a game in a manner that you would understand doesn't necessarily mean that someone else would. Likewise, there has to be some give and take and pitching the right games to the right people. Of course, whining bitches just need to be shown the door and told to piss off for the good of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.