Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game several times now,with my family and my game group (El Paso Boardgamers). I absolutely love this game. The mechanics are wonderful, easy to understand all around. The player interaction only lends to making the game and even better experience. HOWEVER, for a game to be themed on aesthetic appreciation, this game fails. Mayfair's version is disappointing. The box art is passable, but the cards depicting the art are of poor printed quality, the shields depicting the art galleries are a pain to look at, and the rule book seems photocopied and off center at that.

Great game so I accepted the poor aesthetic quality of the components, BUT then I saw the Brazilian version depicted on BGG. OMG what a difference a caring, full effort publisher makes. Mayfair should offer apologies all around.

Anyway, enough ranting, I do love the game, but if anyone has a lead on a Brazilian version e-mail me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I always thought that the whole theme was kind of tongue in cheek, with intentionally awful art. If you can't find the Brazilian version, there are a few others kicking around - Scandinavian, two different Chinese versions, and a new pan-European version that might suit your tastes better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I thought the game was a satire. Just read some of those pretentious quotes in the rulebook and contrast them against the gaudy pictures on the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
And I get it if the intention was satire, but you have to look at it holistically, the rule book? The money chips? the screens? No I think it was a lowest bidder deal on a highly acclaimed Knizia work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The screens are bad, I'll agree there.
The chips are cheap. (Can't blame the artist for that, that's just cost-cutting.)
The rulebook is nothing.

The cards are similar, boring, churned out. And that's perfect. I like the cynical statement that they make. Later editions have focused on making the game nice to look at, but that doesn't have the same meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not about aesthetic apreciation its a satire as mentioned above on group think, trendiness, and ridiculous art prices. Kind of an emperors new clothes kind of a thing. I think the horrible art is what makes it even more fun to play. We play along as pretentious art buyers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmduran wrote:
And I get it if the intention was satire, but you have to look at it holistically, the rule book? The money chips? the screens? No I think it was a lowest bidder deal on a highly acclaimed Knizia work.
That other stuff is a little cheap but its an awesome game. I don't really notice it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since great art yields its wonder only after persistent effort, I'd recommend spending more time trying to absorb Modern Art's art, and studying very carefully the quotes of commentary about the art in the rulebook. If the depth isn't revealing itself to you, you need to try harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I tore a page out of Time Magazine about the time I got Modern Art (early edition), and packed it in the game box. It was about how people who had bought dubiously artistic modern works as investments were finding that they were unable to unload the stuff for profit. Anyone who thinks that Knizia games are insufficiently thematic cannot level that criticism at Modern Art!

Depending on your playing group mindset and mood, Modern Art can be great fun when you talk up the artistic merits of the paintings you are putting up for auction. Especially when the paintings have none ("Admittedly, one of Gitter's early works, from what some have called his Crap Period...")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per your comments on the paintings, there's no accounting for taste. I'll agree with the others in saying that the theme of the game is satriric. After all, the message of it is that art has no value except relative to its popularity that season!

As for the chips, etc., this has no value to me whatsoever and I would be happy throwing them away. I would purchase this game if it were sold as just a deck and the scoring board and corresponding black chips. The player screens are an amusing extra, not at all necessary (I am happy to play the game with open money.)

If sold as just a deck of cards, this game is an absolute bargain at $24.95 as I have now derived something like 20 hours of entertainment from it, with an expactation of at least 80 more before I can imagine tiring of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Winsor
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawnjob wrote:
If sold as just a deck of cards, this game is an absolute bargain at $24.95 as I have now derived something like 20 hours of entertainment from it, with an expactation of at least 80 more before I can imagine tiring of it.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rose

Creston
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't care if it was supposed to be satirical or not. The quality and the pictures are lame! I hold this up next to TTR: Marklin, Alhambra, Carcassonne, etc. and my gateway gaming friends will pick something other than Modern Art, every time. My wife is willing to try any game I bring home, but if the art is bad it won't pass for a second time. Quality is a 2nd strike out in my opinion. I like the Brazil and Chinese versions, though--at least the pictures are good. IMHO, MA is begging for a pnp retheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could use it as an example to your usual game players to show them than there can often be a fantastic game hiding under relatively prosaic presentation.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Flowers
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with the original poster - the Mayfair edition is awful. I like the game but the cheapness of the bits, including the cards, brings the fun factor down a notch. My gaming group laughed at the quality of all the bits, and not in a good way.

I would repurchase a more expensive reprint of this game if somelevel of effort was put into the production, because Mayfair obviously put in none (the photocopied rules for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.