Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to say, I really like the layout of the manual, but it does leave an awful lot of detail out.

1) If you have no power tokens on your house card and your opponent wins a power challenge, does he get nothing or does he take it from the pool. I'm pretty sure he gets nothing, but just checking.

2) It's the marshalling phase. I'm going first. My opponent has an "Any Phase" effect on one of his cards. Can he use that before I do anything in the marshalling phase, or does he have to wait until it's his turn? What about if it is a Marshalling: effect?

3) If I have a character that says "This character can't be killed or discarded from play" can I "choose" him as the character to be killed if I lose a Military challenge? Basically I choose him to die, but then he can't die so I don't have to kill anyone?

I'm sure there are more, and will be more, but that's enough for now.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bertrand Russell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a guy on the Fantasy Flight AGoT LCG forums who answers pretty much every question, you might want to head on over there, but I'll do my best.

chuckles2000 wrote:
I have to say, I really like the layout of the manual, but it does leave an awful lot of detail out.

If you haven't yet, you should read the FAQ. It describes the flow of the game and what actions can be done when and by who with a flow chart. It's kind of required reading and I don't think it's possible to answer a lot of questions without having read it. Framework Actions/Player Actions/etc, it's not as complicated as it seems. It should probably be in the rulebook; I'm not sure why they didn't put it in there. They did put the action flow chart in Call of Cthulhu, but that's an easier game.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/suppor...

Quote:

1) If you have no power tokens on your house card and your opponent wins a power challenge, does he get nothing or does he take it from the pool. I'm pretty sure he gets nothing, but just checking.

He gets nothing unless it was undefended or he won against 0STR, then he would still get one from the pool for winning an undefended challenge.

Quote:

2) It's the marshalling phase. I'm going first. My opponent has an "Any Phase" effect on one of his cards. Can he use that before I do anything in the marshalling phase, or does he have to wait until it's his turn? What about if it is a Marshalling: effect?

From the rulebook:

Quote:

The first player always has the option to take
the first action of each phase (but is not allowed
to play a character, attachment, or location card
during the marshalling phase, unless it is his
turn). After a player’s action resolves, he must
allow each opponent (in clockwise order) the op-
portunity to take an action or pass. A player may
not take another action until all opponents have
taken an action or passed.

No, he has to wait until after you take your first marshalling action. It's kind of strange, but the way it works is, you take a marshalling action. As the active player, only you are allowed to play cards to the table for gold. But after you do this once, everyone else gets a chance to play one Any Phase or Marshalling action (but not put cards into play for gold like you can as the active player). After it's gone around once you can take another action (either bring a card into play for gold or play your own any phase card), and then your opponent get's a chance again. After you're done marshalling cards (can't afford to bring more cards in, don't have anymore Any Phase or Marshalling: actions you want to play), then your opponent becomes the active player and the cycle starts again. Just take a look at the FAQ. There is a player actions window during the draw phase. I'm not sure what card he wanted to play, but he could have played it then (since it's an Any Phase card).

Quote:

3) If I have a character that says "This character can't be killed or discarded from play" can I "choose" him as the character to be killed if I lose a Military challenge? Basically I choose him to die, but then he can't die so I don't have to kill anyone?

What's the specific card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 wrote:

Thanks.

No you cannot. From the FAQ:
A character that cannot be killed/saved/etc.
may not be chosen for that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks like I have the FAQ in my future. It really is unfortunate that the FAQ is totally required to play the game properly. I'm not sure if my MtG background is helping or hindering, but it does make me aware that the rulebook, as written, leaves an awful lot to the players for interpretation/guesswork.

Thanks a bunch for your answers to my questions.

My biggest concern for the game is that it really hasn't addressed the biggest weakness of Magic...he who draws the proper mixture of land and spells will win. In AGoT it comes down to drawing some money making locations and some characters. If one of the players draws one and not the other (at the start) he's pretty much toast if the other player did. It also makes the Plot card choice less meaningful. The difference between a 4 gold plot card and a 2 gold plot card should be huge, but with the money maker locations it erodes that difference. Obviously I haven't played very much, but at least with the Core Set that seems to be the way of things....Totally need to give it a bunch more play though. Parts of it I really like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ is a mandatory reading, especially when you have Magic background. Fortunately, after one or two CAREFUL readings, everything gets pretty clear (for the most part at least).

From the top of my head, the things that were most confusing for us:

1. As I have been told, there is no virtual stack (each action must completely resolve - plus cancel/save responses - before another one takes place).

2. Each phase is "owned" by all players, so there are no separate phases for each player. Passive effects take place before triggered events.

Plus many more seemingly minor rules, which have a huge effect on the game (e.g. if the total strength of defenders is zero the challenge is considered undisputed and you claim 1 power).

Contrary to your initial experience, we have found that the opening hand has much smaller effect on gameplay than in Magic. Within the last 3 weeks we have played about 30-40 games and most of them were really close. There were quite a few unexpected twists and coming from behind (13-0 to 11-15). We have found out that plots are really important and carefully picked can help you a lot. That's why I am looking for plot cards from 5KE and Iron Throne blocks + some other cards. LCG pool is quite limited and there are many characters / event that require previous cards to see their full potential.

Another plus is multiplayer. Works great, but it took us 2,5 hours to finish our fist MP game. The lesson we learned: use more 2 claim plots and reset cards. It is difficult to keep track of +20 cards on the table.

Anyway, great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, it was very difficult for both my son and I to get away from the concept of the "stack." He kept wanting to "in response to your x, I will do y". Umm...I don't think it works that way....unless it says "Response:".

Also, in even a two player game we have found it extremely difficult to keep track of all the "stuff" in play. With so few removal abilities the number of characters can get out of hand very quickly. The only thing keeping it in check was a single card...Jamie Lannister. The relentless use of him in a Military Challenge was very damaging to my son's Baratheon deck (Deadly was nasty).

I was hoping this would be a fun multiplayer game to play with the family (we all enjoy Magic), but I'm quickly realizing that it might be a bit too involved right now. My youngest son is 7 and his Magic skills are fairly limited...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sons are 10 and 13, so they grasp the concept without any problems and they learn English at the same time, which is a plus. We like fantasy/war games, so their vocabulary in this register is quite impressive. I wish they could use that terminology during their English classes, which seems unlikely

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heh...My oldest is 9 and he's catching on, but like I said it's been hard to get him to think outside the Magic box. But he has been enjoying being able to say "Bastard" a lot...maybe too much for my wife .

I'm not really looking forward to explaining "Brothel"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Crowe
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckles2000 wrote:
Yes, it was very difficult for both my son and I to get away from the concept of the "stack." He kept wanting to "in response to your x, I will do y". Umm...I don't think it works that way....unless it says "Response:".

Yeah, I can't help but keep wishing I could play events in response. Adds more interactivity in my opinion. Ah well.

chuckles2000 wrote:
Also, in even a two player game we have found it extremely difficult to keep track of all the "stuff" in play. With so few removal abilities the number of characters can get out of hand very quickly. The only thing keeping it in check was a single card...Jamie Lannister. The relentless use of him in a Military Challenge was very damaging to my son's Baratheon deck (Deadly was nasty).

Have a look a the plot Wildfire Assault, that helps keep things a bit more manageable. But in two-players it can sometimes get this way if no-one has any kill effects outside of military challenges. Most houses have one or two alternate ways of killing or discarding characters though.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Frantz
United States
Wenatchee
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did see the Wildfire plot card, but it was in my (Lannister Deck). I was ahead though. I haven't looked at Baratheon's Plot cards, but it does look like every deck should have one of these "reset buttons" to avoid the runaway leader problem. I'll have to look at Baratheon and the other houses' plot cards to see if I need to do some tuning. My son did note that he has a plot card that is only good in multi, but it was his only 2-claim plot so he was reluctant to give it up. Looks like I need to get some more plot cards. How many come in the Chapter Packs. I was hoping to avoid adding too many cards too soon in order to keep the game fresh longer....but if I need to, I need to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
beta.lyrae wrote:

Quote:

From the rulebook:

Quote:

The first player always has the option to take
the first action of each phase (but is not allowed
to play a character, attachment, or location card
during the marshalling phase, unless it is his
turn). After a player’s action resolves, he must
allow each opponent (in clockwise order) the op-
portunity to take an action or pass. A player may
not take another action until all opponents have
taken an action or passed.

No, he has to wait until after you take your first marshalling action. It's kind of strange, but the way it works is, you take a marshalling action. As the active player, only you are allowed to play cards to the table for gold. But after you do this once, everyone else gets a chance to play one Any Phase or Marshalling action

I know this is quite old, but I was checking the forum for another rule and I saw this, and the reply does not look right.

The key is :
Quote:

The first player always has the option to take the first action of each phase

and the FAQ tells us:
Quote:
The player that was chosen to go first during initiative is the first player.

i.e. when the Marshalling phase begins, the action is with the Active player to count their income. Then, before the Active player gets to take any actions , the First Player gets to take any actions they wish ( which does not include paying gold to marshall cards ) and proceeds clockwise around the players until we are back to the Active Player who can then take their first action ( which includes paying gold to marshall cards or some other action ).

So, in answer to the original question, yes, your opponent can use that effect before you play any cards, but only after you have counted your income and taken your gold from the Treasury.

cheers, Ricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no Player Action Window between the start of marshaling phase and the determination of Active Player. So in the above scenario He is first player and we get to the Marshaling phase. The Framework Action Window passes and we immediately go to the Framework Action Window where we determine Active Player. First Player is now Active Player and has counted his income when we arrive at the first Player Action Window. Since he is First Player and Active Player he gets first action and may pay gold to marshall a card before any other player gets to play an any phase action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, agreed and understood. thanks. I should have said:-

So, in answer to the original question, yes, your opponent can use that effect before you play any cards, but only after you have counted your income and taken your gold from the Treasury, and only if they are the first player ( or come before you, continuing clockwise from the first player, in a multiplayer game ).

so, oops, I see the original questioner qualified with "I'm going first.", so the original answer was correct !

Those action flow charts are handy.. will definately be printing them out as a new player. Definately a must have.

cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.