United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
When my friend found out about this he was excited, but a little apprehensive.

"Where am I going to put this?"

"What do you mean?" I say.

"Well it is another 1/4 board expansion."

"Yeah, as would be expected with Innsmouth," I respond, "Just put it at the end."

"At the end?" he retorts. "At the end of what?"

"You know, after Dunwich, and Kingsport."

"Yeah"

"Yeah, right at the end," I laugh, "right on the other side of those boards."

Clearly, I have no understanding of euclidean geometry and the size of kitchen tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I've toyed with the idea that if I get this expansion I may simply not play with Kingsport. Kingsport is kind of funky. There are no unstable locations there. The effect on the game at least for our plays is you generally have to have one player up in Kingsport to keep the rifts from being a problem. I kind of wish there was at least a chance for some gates to open there.

As for Innsmouth itself, transporting all my Arkham Horror stuff is already an excise in logistics and putting the boards out one in geography. As it stands now everytime I go and play over at a friend's house I have to rent a U-Haul to get it there.

I know I said the same thing about Black Goat of the Woods and bought it anyway eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Goat has some good stuff.

The Kingsport board (outside of the Acts in King in Yellow) most definitely is the biggest disappointment in the series to me. Although, the expansion, has tons of other great things in it to make up for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's not a bad expansion by any means. It just seems that in order to deal with the rifts you literally have to take one character out of the equation and sit them in Kingsport for the entire game. It's almost like they're playing their own separate game off on the side.

I was surprised by Black Goat of the Woods. I was expecting another scenario type expansion like Dark Pharaoh or King in Yellow but in reality it's more like a mini Dunwich expansion where it just sort of adds a touch of variety to the game.

I'm still undecided on Innsmouth from the aspect of the game becoming to much of a logistical problem. I mean I like big in a game (which is part of the thing I like about Fantasy Flight) but it's come to a point where literally I question if you can fit anything more on the table and still make the game practical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
I mean I like big in a game (which is part of the thing I like about Fantasy Flight) but it's come to a point where literally I question if you can fit anything more on the table and still make the game practical.

Practical? You want practical? You're looking at the wrong game company buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought an additional table after Kingsport hit. We have room for Innsmouth too, but the game will take up most of the living room in our apartment. This does not deter us. We are ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam B
United Kingdom
cheshire
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah I have to agree with you about Kingsport, the expansion was okay but the board itself was just like walking into an eccentric village fete. I hope they go the whole hog with Innsmouth and make it an Arkham Horror version of Black Hawk Down. Starting a bit scary, by being trailed around town ,then deep one hybrids start coming out of the walls, followed by an epic showdown at Devils Reef.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kendelhardt
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
You know, I almost wonder if FFG is going to make a type of "Road to Legend" style overgame for AH. You use the individual AH boards/components for scaled down mini-games which are then translated into success/failure and a series of GOO battles. Probably a tough sell mechanically without an overlord style player (I'm sure there is a limit to how well you can program a card deck) and considering how few folk have all of these expansions available for play. I dunno, maybe those Arkham League scenarios are essentially doing this already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, there's rumours that this is going to be Arkhams last expansion so you might not have to smash a hole through one wall to accommodate the ever increasing board yet! shake

I'm planning to move into a house with my Arkham group later this year and it's funny that "Room for Arkham Horror and expansions" is actually on our checklist for what we are looking for in our house to be. We are going to start looking soon and I can't wait to see the landlord's/home owner's face when I walk into the center of the room, wip out a tape measure and after a few seconds of measuring floor space say "no, this one's no good" and walk out! laugh

Maybe FFG is secretly in league with the GOOs and when you put this next segment of board in a line with the others a bridge to Another World opens and the things that chitter just beyond the veil will get in... goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got myself a nice non-euclidean table to fit everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
I've got myself a nice non-euclidean table to fit everything.

I'll settle for cyclopean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got everything so far on my table... but now if you move onto one of the outer worlds, you need a "counter-weight" investigator or monster on the other side of Arkham. This adds to the strategy.

If that counter-weight moves, the board tends to tip off it's precarious semi-perch on the table. We play this as an early end-game condition.

I gotta get a bigger house...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I should mention, I can still fit all the expansions into one box, I think that Innsmouth is going to be a gate burster...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how the game would look with Innsmouth and Kingsport along the side as opposed to attached to the end, i.e. making the game wider as opposed to longer. I wonder if that would help with space at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Impossible on my table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serdudds wrote:
I wonder how the game would look with Innsmouth and Kingsport along the side as opposed to attached to the end, i.e. making the game wider as opposed to longer. I wonder if that would help with space at all.

Nice idea, but I think finding a table wide enough would make the problem worse! Longer is better than wider, I think...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group will need a second table, and not just to fit all the boards... we need room for the character sheets and stuff, too. And hypothetically, with all boards in play, Arkham Horror can now be played as a 10-player game. Sure, that means more downtime, but with one player dedicated to moving the game along, it doesn't have to be that much slower. Last July,

I did an 8-player game at a convention. The game took over 5 hours, but part of the problem was that some players dropped out for other events they had scheduled, and I recruited spectators to take over their characters. Also, about half the players had never played before. Still, it was a great game. The last guy to join in made a noble and decisive sacrifice during final battle, so even though he only played for 45 minutes, he had a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shellhead wrote:
And hypothetically, with all boards in play, Arkham Horror can now be played as a 10-player game.

I lost 3 Sanity just thinking about doing a 10-player game.... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Every Board Game I Reach Is Dead"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sisteray wrote:
Also, I should mention, I can still fit all the expansions into one box, I think that Innsmouth is going to be a gate burster...

WHAT!!surprise
How did you manage to keep everything in just one box!

I was proud to say I got AH, DH, CotDP and KiY in just one box- but when KH came out I had to transplant to two of the big boxes, now with BGoftW and with IH on the way there's surely no way you'd get everything in one box!

Besides, with the action my AH's had the spread to two boxes is needed just to make sure the base game box doesn't fall apart. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true.

The lid is a little tall though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can still fit everything in one box. Probably the box from Twilight Imperium 3, but still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spare Tire
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Probably the box from Twilight Imperium 3, but still.

I'd like to see AH re-issued in the big-box format...could hold all the expansions + a stuffed Cthulu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading ages ago, Kevin Wilson said that eventually you would have to play it on the floor. I know my table is maxed out right now, so another board is going to require some kind of levitation exercise or maybe they can redesign it to look like Star Wars Queens Gambit with those stacked boards.............

(pic by songbird)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
iorek byrnison
United States
brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i still want to know where we're going to put it. but it's nice to see that i'm not the only one who thought of putting it on the side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play on the floor ...

I always play on the floor with AH ...

Innmouth should fit, but at the next 'Big' expansion, I'm gonna need a bigger floor ... (or a non-euclidian too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.