Popular Tags: [View All]
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just played my first game of Android and really liked having a character that had different abilities to everyone else. I would really like to try other games where every player has a different character with special abilities, but don't know what games exist. Obviously there is Arkham Horror, but what else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harmer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could count Battlester Galactica as a diverse Character Game. Each character has its own strengths and weaknesses. Not as diverse as Anroid though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any dungeon-crawler uses variable player powers. You could check out Descent: Journeys in the Dark or Doom: The Boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dune, each player plays a faction in the Dune universe that has different powers, victory conditions and moment to shine in the game. This makes for games that have memorable narratives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Different abilities per character are at the heart of coöperative games like Ghost Stories or Pandemic.

City of Chaos allows you to join different guilds and gain items and skills in order to grow from a generic character into an interesting one.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark and Runebound (Second Edition) also allow character building.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The whole premise of Cosmic Encounter is variable player powers. And in the FFG reprint, one of those variable player powers is even a tribute to the Calvin & Hobbes character SPACEMAN SPIFF!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should buy Shogun or Wallenstein (first edition), then join my Google Group, download and assemble the appropriate files, and playtest my new game. It's a noir-themed Euro with characters based on major fictional detectives. If you're a fan of the genre, you should recognize characters inspired by Sam Spade and Phillip Marlowe, the Continental Op, Paul and Steve Temple and Lord and Lady Wimsey, and Hercule Poirot. Each character has their own set of attributes in drinking, scrapping, and shooting, and a unique special ability that shapes their overall strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkognito

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine Short
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments. I think I will try out Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game (every time I turn up for games at least one table is playing this) and Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.