Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I could find a video game website and ask there, but why should I when all the greatest minds are right here?

I used to be able to tell what the 'best' games were for my older systems, but I'm a bit lost when it comes to the PS3. I hate to say this, but I really miss my PS2 and am considering hooking it back up.

I received as Christmas gifts Little Big Planet (OK fun, I guess) and Assassin's Creed (just can't get into). Fallout 3 looks great even though I've never been into shooter games.

I've mostly enjoyed RPG's in the past - are there any must haves for the PS3? Anything bacon-related?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
valkyria chronicles? Fallout 3? Oblivion? Disgaea 3?

if you are looking for something like Persona 4, you are not going to find it yet. Japanese RPG makers have been quite hesitant at releasing new games for the PS3.The install base needed to make expensive RPGs profitable is just not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

if you are looking for something like Persona 4, you are not going to find it yet. Japanese RPG makers have been quite hesitant at releasing new games for the PS3.The install base needed to make expensive RPGs profitable is just not there.

Metal Gear 3, Killzone 2, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Yeah. Strangely enough, the Xbox 360 is getting most of the RPGs this generation, and they can hardly give those things away in Japan. PS2 has an endless supply of JRPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

There's a Disgaea 3? wow Potential winnar here! I had the original and liked it. I actually picked up Oblivion in store but it looked kind of 'World of Warcrafty' so I wasn't convinced enough to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Frothingslosh
Canada
Caledon
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:

Uncharted... is this Drake's Fortune? If so, this one would be a maybe. I think for sure if it gets to (or is on) greatest hits status.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
For RPGs I hear that the developers are creating a Witcher game designed specifically for consoles. Not sure when its out though but I love the Witcher on PC.

Although not an RPG, I did like Heavenly Sword for its story and the way you fire arrows/projectiles by using the contoller's motion sensor. Heavenly Sword is fairly short though but I don't really consider that a drawback because it only removes some of the "fat" that other games leave in to get the #hours up.

Deadspace is a horror-shooter in which you upgrade equipment so its sort of RPG-ish.

And isn't the next Final Fantasy coming out at some point? I haven't played any but perhaps thats my loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Randougall wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Uncharted... is this Drake's Fortune? If so, this one would be a maybe. I think for sure if it gets to (or is on) greatest hits status.

Yep, it's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The second one will be out in the Summer/Fall.

Other exclusives to keep an eye out for are Infamous and God of War 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat T
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallout3 and Uncharted! Those are my votes. I loved the first 2 fallouts and 3 is just as good.

I'm glad you posted this, as I'm having touble with games for the PS3. At the moment though I'm really enjoying psp for the psp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a little bit of Uncharted and it's a solid game. Not spectacular, but hard not to like. And as a bonus you can look up the Zero Punctuation review that talks about the white supremacy of the game (hilarious).

Check out some of the video reviews for Resident Evil 5 that are going up this week. Looks like one of the best entries on the console.

EDIT: links

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Randougall wrote:
locusshifter wrote:

Yep, it's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The second one will be out in the Summer/Fall.

Other exclusives to keep an eye out for are Infamous and God of War 3.

I highly recommend renting Uncharted. It's a fantastic game, but unless you're the type to replay single-player story-based games over and over you won't spend a whole lot of time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that Valkyria Chronicles is the best RPG I have played in years. It is an absolutely amazing, genre re-defining game that everyone with a PS3 should own. If you like RPG's of course.

Oh, and did I mention that a lot of the folks that worked on Skies of Arcadia (the Dreamcast classic, and there is a bit of a treat in Valkyria Chronicles for fans of this game) worked on this? Yea, enough said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.