Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey CoH fans. I just wanted to post and say last Thursday I was able to get a game of CoH in using battlefront miniatures. These are miniatures used in Flames of War.

Man was the game fun - but I love the toys. I had a bunch of Germand and Soviet units already made up. I purchased a 2 inch hex mat and through out some terrain. We did tweak the rules a bit. We used a Hybrid Line of Site rules taking from COH and FOW. We also changed the stacking rules a bit as we were limited on space.

Another thing we changes was the immoblized rule. We allowed for a role of 6+ to get unstuck rather than being stuck for the entire game. We didn't charge any action points for this, but in hindsite, we probably should have.

In our first time battle we played as follows:
German Army - 2 Tigers, 2 Panzer IV battle tanks, 10 rifles.
Soviet Army - 2 IS-2s, 3 T-34s and 10 rifles.

Note I used unit stats Uwe provided on another post for some of these units.

We each had 2 objectives to go after and we just went at it.

Staying in cover is crucial!! I took too many chances with my Soviets and they got blown to bits.

Fun Fun Game.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John

Any chance you can post a picture of your game of CoH using Flmes of War miniatures? I haven't got FoW, but might acquire it if the miniatures really fit in well with the CoH boards... I've tried using the miniatures from Tide of Iron, but they were too big!

Col

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the FOW miniatures as I mentioned, and they are 15mm. So they were too big also to play the game in the same scale as depicted on the board game. For example, on the board game, one hex represents what - 50 yards or something?

So our scale was different. One rule change we made to depict this is that destroyed tanks in our game do block line of site.

I am happy to post pics when I can - but our version of COH was not an exact translation from the board game. The units were closer together, if you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Castillo
United States
Laredo
TX
flag msg tools
mb
Am i the only one thinking it will be great to make a version using the rules of this game into a miniatures using the 15mms, EVEN taking the hexes away and using measuring tape for short, normal and long range shooting just plain LOS, crazy? what do u guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Andreas Hoen
United States
Oakland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Juan Carlos: I've been thinking about this variant myself, and might try it out when I get some FoW models painted up. It probably won't be suited for super competitive play, but that's not my cup of tea anyway. Let us know how it goes if you try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rett
United States
Uxbrdige
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GHQ Micro Armour might work - 6mm
(less expensive and less painting too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mexcalibur wrote:
Am i the only one thinking it will be great to make a version using the rules of this game into a miniatures using the 15mms, EVEN taking the hexes away and using measuring tape for short, normal and long range shooting just plain LOS, crazy? what do u guys think?

Uwe has actually developed such rules, although I haven't seen them in detail (I'm not sure if they actually exist "in detail"). You should be able to do it just by setting a hex size to be X inches, and then if you're X inches or away from or touching certain terrain features (trees, houses, etc.) you have the movement and defense modifiers, etc. for it.

I think it could work quite well.

As far as miniatures on the board goes, yes, 6mm GHQ miniatures work quite well. I have a picture or 2 of them on the board somewhere on here. Through the huge generosity of a fellow BGG member, I have a large amount of these miniatures. Unfortunately what I don't have yet is the time to paint them! Some day, some day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Limburgerhof
flag msg tools
Designing game modules for the Zuntzu online gaming platform
badge
The Art of War
mbmbmbmbmb

I can give you a link to the German CoH forum, where somebody took GHQ 6mm miniatures and glued them onto the counters to make the game more eye candy. The vehicles are from CinC 1/500.

Scroll down to see the pictures.

http://www.si-games.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17737
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rett
United States
Uxbrdige
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I use pennies (1¢) for basing the small figs, however Litko

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/Custom

has an impressive variety of custom bases and counters including transparent acrylic bases. This way you could place the fig on the counter and still read the stats and still use it separately... go nuts and make two figs one on a clear base and one on a transparent colored base to signify it has been used (flipped)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.