Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I have gotten to play BSG three times in the last month at my local gaming store. Everybody loves the themes built into the game, and it's been easy to round up 5-6 players.

All three games ended up being victories for the Cylons. The last two games the machines revealed early and marched on to win easily.

Some in the group feel that the game is heavily imbalanced. For any BSG veterans out there, what is your take?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Wales
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I will cut ya!
badge
Puuuurrrrrrrrrrrr
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think its very imbalanced. I have played about 10 games, humans have won only once. My group has started increasing the resource dials by 2, which makes the games a little closer at the end. However, a smart Cylon player wont even worry about pushing resources. Its just as easy to win by rushing the centurion track or blowing up Galactica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa...totally different experience.

I've played in six 5 player games so far since getting the game in January. Three games were with the same players, the other three were with different players at a University games club. All have resulted in human victories. Some of my local gaming group think the game is strongly unbalanced in favour of the humans and want the next game to use the optional rules in the back to 'help' the Cylon side. I must admit while the games are sometimes close the humans do seem to have the edge.

I wonder if some play groups aren't repairing the 'Armory' when damaged, or doing much repairs period. Otherwise I can't see how Cylon Intruders (on track) or Galactica destruction are winning games so often. In the games I've played intruding Centurions get quickly shot (with Strategic Planning help 5-8) and outside of the super crisis card rarely get onboard at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Most co-op type games are designed to be easy. If you consistently beat it as the humans, there would be little motivation to keep playing it.

As mentioned, you can tweak the starting resources until you start seeing more human wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game 26 times with all numbers with the following results.

with 3 the cylon has a slight advantage.
with 4 the humans have a slight advantage.
with 5 the cylons have a slight advantage.
with 6 the humans have a slight advantage.

the games I have played have been roughly 50/50. it was cylon heavy to start but the humans have caught up.

The only way the cylons have a huge advantage is if you have two cylons from the start, and one reveals early so the other soon follows. I think I have only once or twice seen the sympathizer turn. we usually tank morale or food so it's red before the half game.

I think the humans only lost once to the centurions. you just put one character in the armory and have the other players play executive orders and strategic plannings on him. The humans usually lose when the cylons concentrate on drawing and selecting specific crisis cards to pick on a certain resource.

This game has been very balanced so far to me. It is also a different game every time, some combat heavy, but others very political.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
The humans usually lose when the cylons concentrate on drawing and selecting specific crisis cards to pick on a certain resource.

That seems to be my impression from the few games I've played.

What resource is best to concentrate on for the revealed Cylon(s) and wouldn't it be better to have the second Cylon unrevealed to assist the crisis cards to work the right (Cylon) way? Seems to me that once all the Cylons are revealed the Humans can coordinate card play without fear and thus far more effectively.

Is it worse, for the humans, if both Cylons have back to back turns (ie. sitting next to each other) than with a human player between? I haven't yet played a game with that situation but it must be pretty bad for the human team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 6 games, all 5 or 6 players. The cylons have won more often than not, but I can tell you exactly why - the humans spend too many cards on skill challenges and not enough using the cards' actions. I think it is an easy newbie mistake (as a human) to feel the need to pass EVERY skill check, since they are central to each turn. But really, you need to know when to fight and when to concede. That's the first step players can take toward human victories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
...the humans spend too many cards on skill challenges and not enough using the cards' actions.

That may be a big factor in Cylons winning. The cards are very useful, and for my first few games I rarely looked at them, let alone used them. In the last game (with all of the same guys) we were much more careful about what cards we comitted to skill checks and what cards we used for actions. Executive Orders in particular is a card worth using for the action, rather than using to pass a check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What resource is best to concentrate on for the revealed Cylon(s) and wouldn't it be better to have the second Cylon unrevealed to assist the crisis cards to work the right (Cylon) way? Seems to me that once all the Cylons are revealed the Humans can coordinate card play without fear and thus far more effectively.

It all depends on how the game is going. In order to neuter the sympathizer we usually tank morale because the president can (potentially) raise it back up a bit with the quorum deck. This seems to be the least risky one to lower but there is still a lot of crisis cards that make you lose morale. If the humans are low on fuel there are some cards that make you lose it and if you damage galactica you could hit the fuel. If they are low on food there are quite a few water crisis cards. But the cylons usually make the morale go to zero most often. The fun ones make the humans choose which two things they lose.

Quote:
Is it worse, for the humans, if both Cylons have back to back turns (ie. sitting next to each other) than with a human player between? I haven't yet played a game with that situation but it must be pretty bad for the human team.

It's really bad if you have back to back cylons with ships outside. if they both go control the cylon fleet to control the same type of ship, a number of raiders can really take out a lot of vipers, then civilian ships, or get centurions on board with the double move. I once played a 6 player game where it went 3 humans then 3 cylons around the table. the humans won, but it was probably the closest game we have had to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, the rules have a official variant to increase or decrease difficulty for humans (by adjusting the start values of resource dials up or down at start of game). Try cranking that up per the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We have played 3 times at our club 1st 2 were 5 players with Cylons winning 1st one by zeroing Pop 2nd by Morale. Our 3rd game was a 7 player and due to a mistake by me (added too many Cylons) there were 3 Cylons plus a Cylon sympathiser v 3 Humans the Humans won though every resource was at one bar food which was at 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think altering the resource dials has less of an effect than other random factors. If there are no Cylons until the Sleeper Phase, the humans have it easier. Similarly, if clumps of similar Crises appear, it favours the Cylons, particularly if those cards involve putting raiders on the board.

One suggestion I've heard to solve that last problem (if you even consider it a problem) is to prepare the deck as in Pandemic, with Cylon attack cards interspersed roughly evenly throughout the Crisis deck. This way the humans are less likely to be troubled by back-to-back Cylon attacks, whereas revealed Cylons won't be sat facing an empty board for the entire game. Might be worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 12 games so far and find that so far, it's very roughly 60/40 favoring cylons. If you were to ask around 5 games in, I would've said either cylons always win or they win 95% of the time.

The lowdown is this is a card driven game. Killer hands happen with the crisis and quorum decks, as do lousy hands happen. Having a die to roll often means spectacular rolls and lousy rolls can really swing things even further out.

Many do not approve of the Sympathizer card, but it is funny to see how it turns out. E.g. Humans keep everything in the blue, forgetting that when you jump BUT PRIOR to activating the sleeper phase, you need to choose one more destination card. Sometimes both dest. cards reduce the fuel enough to go into the red. ALL THAT PLANNING FOR NOTHING

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you first start playing BSG, the Cylons tend to win a lot. It takes a lot of experience to learn when to trust players, when you can (and should) XO the other players, when to go all-out for a skill check and when to conserve your resources. Until the humans figure these out, they need a lot of luck to when. However, once everyone learns these skills, it becomes a much more balanced game.

At the moment, I'd hesitate to say that it is biased one way or the other (at least with my playgroup's metagame).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.