King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just getting into fourth edition and we came across this question while making a new character.

The ranger grants the class feat of armor proficiency: hide armor.
The hide armor feat has a prerequisite of 13 constitution score.

If a new ranger doesn't have a 13 Con can she still wear hide armor because it's a class feat?

My interpretation was no, she can't. However, she is still granted the feat for free and when her Con is raised through leveling she may then actually wear the hide armor.

What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Herman
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation is not correct. Rangers are allowed to wear hide armor as a class feature--no Con, or feat at all for that matter, required. The feat allows classes that doesn't naturally get hide armor proficiency (prime suspects: warlock, wizard) to wear it without penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes you can according to a similar question I saw posted on the 4E forums. The feat is derived from the class not the ability score.

For D and D stuff there's a ton of resources and FAQ's as well as extensive forums here http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome so I tend to go there for any questions I may have:)

The character builder, the last time I looked, can be downloaded and is useful for levels 1 to 3 so that should also restrict or not you ability to wear the armour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I'm just getting into fourth edition and we came across this question while making a new character.

The ranger grants the class feat of armor proficiency: hide armor.
The hide armor feat has a prerequisite of 13 constitution score.

If a new ranger doesn't have a 13 Con can she still wear hide armor because it's a class feat?

My interpretation was no, she can't. However, she is still granted the feat for free and when her Con is raised through leveling she may then actually wear the hide armor.

What say you?

http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wizards.cfg/php/enduser/...

You gain PROFICIENCY, not the feat. The Armor Proficiency FEAT grants you proficiency.

If your class grants you proficiency, you don't need to buy the feat. Nor do you have to meet prerequisites. The wording is all silly and confusing, but your ranger can use the armor even if he has a Con of 8, or 6, or 2 for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waffles? Arooo!
United Kingdom
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Edit: Well my post just got shot down in flames by everyone in front of me. Go me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, this makes a little more sense now.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.