Subject: New to the game - Need Scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Snarr
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
Hello! I am new to Dominion, but already completely obsessed (in what I like to argue is a completely healthy way). LOL I have played all of the scenarios provided on the back of the manual, but cannot seem to find any additional lists of scenarios anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a list or a link to a list? I am not quite ready to venture out and take on random card combos.

I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been asked and answered a million times before.

Thanks in advance!!

Jennifer (aka audra1010)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Herman
United States
Seville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Random is the most popular and (in my opinion) the most fun.
If you have played the starting scenarios, you are ready to do random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alternatively, take turns deciding which kingdoms to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe someone should upload a list to the Geek of the 3,268,760 known scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McCarty
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group mostly plays with a random draw of cards. We do allow 2 card substitution when the group feels the selected cards aren't very "playable." The definition of "playable" is very vague, but it helps us avoid some really awkward combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jemccarty wrote:
My group mostly plays with a random draw of cards. We do allow 2 card substitution when the group feels the selected cards aren't very "playable." The definition of "playable" is very vague, but it helps us avoid some really awkward combinations.
Substitution is for sissies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other non-random methods:

1. Draft-by-purchase

Put all 25 cards out. They are all available for purchase. The first 10 purchased stay in the game, the rest go.

2. Draft-by-vote

Players randomly shuffle the cards and when each card comes up, players vote yes or no on the card. This is done until 10 cards are "in"

3. Draft-by-selection

The stack of 25 is sent around, and each player selects 1 card to put in the "keep" pile, and one to put in the "toss" pile, then hands it to the next player until 10 are in the Keep pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Anderson
United States
Grantham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another decent option would be an quasi-elimination draft. Include some random number of stacks at the start. Send the 25 around removing until 10 remain. This would fix the problem of someone who insisted on always picking their pet card, yet also allow for variety based on what the initial few stacks were.

unixrevolution wrote:
Other non-random methods:

1. Draft-by-purchase

Put all 25 cards out. They are all available for purchase. The first 10 purchased stay in the game, the rest go.

2. Draft-by-vote

Players randomly shuffle the cards and when each card comes up, players vote yes or no on the card. This is done until 10 cards are "in"

3. Draft-by-selection

The stack of 25 is sent around, and each player selects 1 card to put in the "keep" pile, and one to put in the "toss" pile, then hands it to the next player until 10 are in the Keep pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more vote for random.

Seriously, just get those 25 placeholder cards, draw 10 and play. Best variations, best fun.

Drafting variants are ok, I guess, but people tend to gravitate toward certain cards they like so you end up playing similar sets over and over and over again. If some of my friends had their way, each game would have to include Village, Laboratory and an of course a Moat if the attack cards are present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use this page: http://www.craftycoder.com/randomdominion.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you will soon be able to buy a book with the 999 best scenarios
- including strategy tips by the world's leading experts.
Only $29.99 on amazon.com

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But.. will the scenarios be balanced?

We don't need another Doom fiasco...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doron Blake
United States
Lakeville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding my voice to the choir, I'll offer another shout out for fully random selection. If you've tried all the offered sets, then you have some familiarity with each of the 25 kingdom cards and you are absolutely ready to jump in. The game has been play-tested extensively, and as a result, virtually any random set is going to offer interesting choices. Even the sets that are "duds", in the sense of lacking really powerful synergies, are fun in a sort of "who-can-make-the-best-of-this-heinous-crap-pile" kind of way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Herman
United States
Seville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Maybe someone should upload a list to the Geek of the 3,268,760 known scenarios.

Here you go:

Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Laboratory
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Library
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Market
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Militia
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Mine
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Moat
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Moneylender
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Remodel
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Smithy
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Spy

< snip >

Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop

The file size is over 300 meg. It zips up to 12 meg. If you really want the file, shoot me a message and I will send you a link.

edit:
3,268,760 combinations.
If we add Envoy and Black Market, 8,436,285 combinations
If we also add Intrigue, 15,820,024,220 combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just learning, I would pick a set randomly then try playing 2-3 times in a row with it to give everyone ample opportunity to try different strategies and see how those cards interact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another chiming in for random. When I first got this, we tried some weird continuity version that just appeared from somewhere in my brain. It was as follows:

For the set from the previous game - flip a coin for each card. Tails it stays in. Then replace the removed cards with a random card.

The idea was to create continuity and evolving strategy but it was just a bit dull having so many of the same cards coming through.

But I have to say the absolute worst is tailoring - which is even worse as far as making for boring repetitive games. I stopped liking Dominion and started LOVING it after switching to strictly random cards in games. We played a few games today with some really awful looking combinations of cards, and I enjoyed those as much as any other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I like random too, but that's not what you're asking for. Here are some sets I posted about:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/379642
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/373808
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/379639

Warning, this contains exposed strategy spoilers:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/383610

Of course I came up with all these by playing random, and just taking not when a game was particularly unusual. Also, I might have taken note of them because they were particularly clunky, not because they play particularly well. I like the clunky ones because they shake you out of your normal strategies. But if you're new maybe you want to play the normal strategies before you get shaken out of them.

One made by someone else:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/355521
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Snarr
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
LOL So I take it random is the key. Actually we did find a randomizer on here (can we tell I am resistant to finding some way of randomizing on my own??) and we have gotten some fun combos!! We have definitely been playing random games more frequently.

Greg Jones - thank you for providing specific scenarios! I am writing those down and we will try them next!

Thank you everyone for your feedback!!!

Jennifer (aka audra1010)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Snarr
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
VinceHerman wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:

Here you go:

Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Laboratory
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Library
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Market
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Militia
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Mine
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Moat
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Moneylender
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Remodel
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Smithy
Adventurer, Bureaucrat, Cellar, Chancellor, Chapel, Council Room, Feast, Festival, Gardens, Spy

< snip >

Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Remodel, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Moneylender, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moat, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop
Moneylender, Remodel, Smithy, Spy, Thief, Throne Room, Village, Witch, Woodcutter, Workshop

The file size is over 300 meg. It zips up to 12 meg. If you really want the file, shoot me a message and I will send you a link.

edit:
3,268,760 combinations.
If we add Envoy and Black Market, 8,436,285 combinations
If we also add Intrigue, 15,820,024,220 combinations.

Oh muh gawd... did you seriously??? LOL Um... gee... thanks!

Jennifer (aka audra1010)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Snarr
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
twilightdruid wrote:
Adding my voice to the choir, I'll offer another shout out for fully random selection. If you've tried all the offered sets, then you have some familiarity with each of the 25 kingdom cards and you are absolutely ready to jump in. The game has been play-tested extensively, and as a result, virtually any random set is going to offer interesting choices. Even the sets that are "duds", in the sense of lacking really powerful synergies, are fun in a sort of "who-can-make-the-best-of-this-heinous-crap-pile" kind of way.

I have to agree with this! Last night my husband and I were playing with a set of cards and we did not have a single one that allowed for an extra action. This meant that we had one card to play every time and that's it. It forced some interesting choices, and as newbies we caught on very quickly that it was pointless to stuff our hands full of cool cards because all that did was fill our hands with crap that we could not use. It is all a learning process...

Jennifer (audra1010)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.