Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow geeks,

It is rather difficult for us to trade among people in Singapore because our local board gaming community is rather small unlike other countries like USA or Germany etc.

I have been wanting to trade with fellow geeks from other countries but my concern would be that international shipping would be pretty expensive for bigger and heavier board games for both parties. Does anyone have any ideas how to save on the shipping costs during this economy downturn period?

So wonder if anyone happen to be stopping by Singapore for business trips or holiday in the next few months?

Would you be interested to meet up and trade some games from my trade list? Probably we could trade lighter and smaller games so that your luggage won't be so heavy, I feel that it could be a win-win situation for both parties.

Make new friends, trade away some of your games for something on your wishlist.

I could also bring you to try some of the delicious local food and we could play a couple of games from our collection with my hubby and friends if time permits.

What do you think?

Yours Sincerely,
Michelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea. And if you ever come to Milwaukee, we have both a place to stay, and plenty of incredible restaurants to take you to. There are also several games stores locally to shop at.

-Christian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
This is a great idea. And if you ever come to Milwaukee, we have both a place to stay, and plenty of incredible restaurants to take you to. There are also several games stores locally to shop at.

-Christian

Hi there Christian,

Thanks for your offer of homestay as well as showing us the local restaurants and game stores.

Milwaukee is in Wisconsin and near Lake Michigan right?

We would love to meet up with you and your family if we ever come to USA. I'm sure it would be a memorable experience for us and the temptation to buy from the games stores would be hard to resist.....must control

Do contact me if you are planning to visit Singapore in the future. My hubby and I will try our best to be great hosts.

Take care,
Michelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Internet and this site are ideal medium to allow such arrangements to be made. It's a great opportunity to network and to expand one's gaming circles.

Last summer I travelled to Denver for the first time in 20 years. I primarily went to visit a high school friend who now lives out there. But I was also able to arrange meeting one of the local gaming groups in the Denver area, and to attend one of their evening gaming sessions.

I'll be sure to make a similar effort when I take my next vacation, wherever I go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!
I love trading, my collection of games is getting close to 900 titles with a trade rating of over 300.

My family and I do some business in China a few times a year. Don't think there are any plans to visit Singapore at this moment but will keep you in mind. If you are visiting Miami or New York City, let me know. I live in Miami and am in NYC a few times a year. I belong to a gaming group in Miami, and always travel with a few games, when up in NYC.

-David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
The Internet and this site are ideal medium to allow such arrangements to be made. It's a great opportunity to network and to expand one's gaming circles.

Last summer I travelled to Denver for the first time in 20 years. I primarily went to visit a high school friend who now lives out there. But I was also able to arrange meeting one of the local gaming groups in the Denver area, and to attend one of their evening gaming sessions.

I'll be sure to make a similar effort when I take my next vacation, wherever I go.

Yes, I agree with you. This is all based on trust but we must be careful when meeting or trading with people.

My hubby and I went to Taiwan for our honeymoon last year Oct 2008. We tried to look for local board game stores but couldn't find any.

We will try to make it a point to include some gaming and making new board game friends if we visit a new country next time.

We would love to visit Germany and go to Essen if there is a chance in future. We read and saw pictures on BGG about the wonderful games at the fair. Imagine looking at a 3D Caylus board. Wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidchujr wrote:
Great idea!
I love trading, my collection of games is getting close to 900 titles with a trade rating of over 300.

My family and I do some business in China a few times a year. Don't think there are any plans to visit Singapore at this moment but will keep you in mind. If you are visiting Miami or New York City, let me know. I live in Miami and am in NYC a few times a year. I belong to a gaming group in Miami, and always travel with a few games, when up in NYC.

-David

Hi David, we only have a small collection of about 70 games as we have just started building up our collection in mid 2007.

My cousin's wife is from Chongqing in China but she is a permanent resident in Singapore. I have not been to China before. Might go for a tour with my Dad if our work schedule permits in future.

Thanks for the offer. We will keep you in mind if we are visiting Miami or NYC.

Cheers,
Michelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guenette
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michelle, is there a gaming group in Chongqing as well? I was there a few years back. We will sure be going back...

I started hooking with people in the late 90's from the GEnie network. It was tougher to find wargamers these days. Now I use BBG or comsimworldfor the occasional trip as well. Might be going to Barcelona soon.

If we ever go to Singapore, I will sure contact you :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwebec wrote:
Michelle, is there a gaming group in Chongqing as well? I was there a few years back. We will sure be going back...

I started hooking with people in the late 90's from the GEnie network. It was tougher to find wargamers these days. Now I use BBG or comsimworldfor the occasional trip as well. Might be going to Barcelona soon.

If we ever go to Singapore, I will sure contact you :-)

Hi Marc,

What is Genie Network like?

I'm not sure if there is any gaming group in Chongqing. I have not been there but I heard that it is a village area in China so it might be less developed. But there are a few gaming groups in my home country, Singapore. You are most welcome to join us if you ever visit Singapore.

Singapore may be a tiny dot on the map but she has weathered many storms over the years and developed into a successful multi-racial country. English is the first language of the younger generation of Singapore so communication would not be a major issue. We have an efficient, easily accessible and affordable public transport network of trains, buses and taxis (cabs). The food is cheap and great too if you are adventurous to try new dishes. Ok, I better stop singing the praise of my own country......you guys need to experience for yourself.

Cheers,
Michelle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who? Me?
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michelle,

This is an excellent thread. I have been on the geek about 2 years ago and for the past year, have consciously tried to find trades local to areas where I am traveling. I have had the pleasure of meeting gamers in a few towns in Texas as well as in New Mexico.

I don't have any international travel scheduled yet (I am from India) but I plan to do something similar on my next trip with a stopover in either Europe or Singapore. It is great to see that others are doing similar things also.

If you're traveling to the US, I'm located near Houston and we have a very active gaming group here. You and your husband are more than welcome to join us and you could also experience a bit of our southern hospitality. Well, I'm not a native, but I have lived here long enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.