Subject: Screen Too Wide rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hagrid
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I go to a game page, the width of the page is wider than my screen. I need to use the scroll bar to move to the right in order to see all the page. This has only just started happening for me.

My screen resolution is 1024x768. I cannot go any higher without having to squint to see the text.

Ivan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed that too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, but you guys need to buy larger computer screens!
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Billings and Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my fault. I just changed from viewing BGG on a 1024x768 desktop monitor to viewing it on a 1920x1200 laptop screen. I'll change back right away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this problem recently too. Very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Mosier
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I only seem to see it on the game pages. While reading this thread it is fine but goes wide once I click on a game. Even more strange is the fact that the whole page briefly fits within the window until it finishes loading; then it goes wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosier wrote:
Yeah, I only seem to see it on the game pages. While reading this thread it is fine but goes wide once I click on a game. Even more strange is the fact that the whole page briefly fits within the window until it finishes loading; then it goes wide.

I have seen this happend when large pictures are shown in threads. And the page will only expand once the picture is actually downloaded (shown).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Great Dane wrote:
Sorry, but you guys need to buy larger computer screens!
devil

This isn't just a problem for people with small screens. I have a 1600x1200 screen, but I only keep the browser window about 900 pixels wide. Anything more seems like overkill. I mean, the whole point of a windowed OS is that you can have multiple programs open, with their windows strewn about the screen; why would I want one program taking up the whole thing, especially when it's so large?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlvonl wrote:
why would I want one program taking up the whole thing, especially when it's so large?

Because you can only look at one thing at once anyway? devil I've never understood how folks can have 12 tiny things open all at once, you can't see any of them. Just as quick to switch from one maximised thing to another when I need to, and I'm never distracted by anything else.

But anywho, as to the problem, I don't see it here. You all running IE, perchance?

edit: the actual game entry (not including the viewed and hotness etc) is 950 pixels or so. With the side menus, about 1100.

Not unreasonable. But good design should resize, instead of being fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekMod is also very wide. If I don't go to full screen (1152 x 864) it's a total pain, and even with full screen, the right ad column is cut off. (And I might note that usually way too much room is given to the user's pending images, while too little room is given to the existing images.)

Aside from not wanting to get a new monitor just for BGG, I don't particularly want a monitor 6" wider. And think about the people using netbooks or iPhones! And the practical issue for BGG is that the right column ads might as well not be there.

Height is also a problem: the new links section for publishers is 900 or so pixels tall, including the header, so you have to scroll to see all ten items, then scroll back to get to the button to page to the next ten. And that's if I put Firefox into full screen mode.

Yes, desktop and especially multimedia PCs are getting higher resolution screens, but with the increase in notebooks, netbooks and hand-held web-capable devices (cell phones, iPhones, Blackberries...), I think average screen size may actually be dropping. And screen resolution is not the same as screen size: I could run at 1600x1200, but then things would be unreadable. These 17" (diagonal, still) multimedia notebooks running 1920x1080 are ridiculous: that's about 150 pixels per inch--at least twice what's readable, especially since you have to stay back further from a wider screen. No wonder Firefox has added a screen magnify function!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've resized my browser to 1024x and don't see the problem... can someone post a screenshot?

If anyone's on a mac - a screenshot of the entire page would help - http://derailer.org/paparazzi/

I don't know if there's a PC program that will do the entire page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
I've resized my browser to 1024x and don't see the problem... can someone post a screenshot?

If anyone's on a mac - a screenshot of the entire page would help - http://derailer.org/paparazzi/

I think just hitting "Print Screen" on a PC should do what you're asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

My screen is 1280x1024, but my IE (It's the only browser work allows) is roughly 1024x900. Here's a game page for me:

And here is a GeekMod page:

FYI... I don't plan on leaving these posted for very long. Just seems like I'm naked for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's GeekMod and the Publisher's Page at 1152 x 864:

Likewise, I'll probably pull these from my gallery in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

Same problem for me on game pages, geekmod, and many profile pages (including mine - contributions tab).

I'm not getting the experience of these pages first loading correct, then widening - they just load too wide.

IE 7.0; 1024x768; winXP home; 19" monitor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick s
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I've never understood how folks can have 12 tiny things open all at once, you can't see any of them. Just as quick to switch from one maximised thing to another when I need to, and I'm never distracted by anything else.

\begin{tangent}

It might be a cultural thing. In unix-land it's typical to have 4 or more things going on at once (eg. right now I have a web browser, IM buddy list and window, terminal, and I'm not even doing anything except goofing off ). Having to reach for the mouse when you're doing actual work makes your productivity/concentration drop remarkably, and clicking a bunch of stuff every time you mentally switch from one thing to another (which happens every few seconds for me) encourages a completely different workflow than if you just flick your eyes a few inches to the left and back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.