United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three kids. Two daughters who are 3 and 5 years old and one son who is 8 months old. Last week, I ordered three new Family Pastimes games. We already had Max, Caves & Claws and The Secret Door as well as a bunch of games from other publishers and designers. Max and Caves & Claws are especially well-liked by my two daughters so I read up a bit and sent for more.

I saw that the package should arrive from Fair Play Games (good prices and availability of Family Pastimes games by the way) on Friday so I mentioned to the girls on Thursday that I had ordered these games. I told them a bit about the new games that were on the way... Princess, Round-Up and The Adventures of Harley. Their eyes lit up which, in turn, lit up my eyes.

When I got home from work on Friday, they were talking about the new games, especially Princess. At this point I was a bit nervous because the UPS truck had not arrived. Still, I kept the excitement going. I talked about how the games work a bit more and they were asking tons of questions. Then, it was 6PM and still no UPS. Uh oh! I was scheduled to leave at 6:30PM. shake

Just then, I saw the UPS truck zip past our house so I said to them, "hey, I think I just saw the delivery truck!" In a flash, they were both at the front window looking for the truck. They were dancing around and asking if the truck was carrying the games. At this point, if the truck didn't have the games I would be in big trouble. Then, Mr. Brown stepped out of the truck with a package.

Now, my 3 year old is always crazy for these games (and I was worried that she may pee her pants at this point with the tension I had generated, but she did hold it together). My 5 year old tends to reserve her excitement for games a bit. Not this time. She sprinted to the front door, yanked it open and then pushed open the storm door. Mr. Brown handed her the package and she says to him, "these are games that my dad ordered for us!" with a massive smile on her face. It was beautiful. Mr. Brown gave me a smile. Then, my 5 year old proceeded to tell him that we were getting Princess, Round-Up and The Adventures of Harley and that dad had to leave so we were going to play one right away. Then, they ran inside and both girls yelled, "mom, mom, the games are here!!!"

Needless to say, we busted open Princess right away and played a quick game, saving the princess in the end. Turns out we played it wrong because I didn't really get a chance to read the rules, but that didn't matter. The pure joy that board games brought on that Friday was magical. I'm not sure if they will remember that evening in 10 years, but I know I'll never forget it. Perfect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
O-ho the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street,
Oh please let it be for me!

Great story and good games. Those three, along with Caves & Claws, were the ones we got right after Max and Secret Door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like me waiting for new games... At least, my wife would say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.