Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else not impressed with this next portable offering from Nintendo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not. I'm trading in the GBA port to get a bigger screen, a camera, and something else. While having a camera function might be interesting, it doesn't effect what is currently out there and I don't like losing my GBA port since there are GBA games I'm still playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem like a real improvement to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
When it comes to havoc, I reek!
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I see nothing that great about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only real big improvement over the regular DS I see is they're going to try to implement something like the iPhone's app store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
The real improvement is the removal of the GBA slot and the internal modifications to the system. Both of which serve to inhibit the use of third-party cards to run unsigned software (and pirated images of commercial games). The DSi Store also serves a similar function. The end result is it's impossible currently more difficult to play games on the system without giving Nintendo money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Even the first time purchaser may be steered away from the DSi since the loss of the GBA port means that even some DS games are a no-go (like the Guitar Hero series). The only real improvement I see is the larger screen. Everything else is something that another device can do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeeKay
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
its all about the DSi store. DLC is what its all about nowadays. i'd say its more like XBL rather than iphone store since i've read that nintendo plans to have peer review and standards when it comes to apps. Similarly i'd be happy if Sony would just release all their games on PSN as an alternative to UMDs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
kuocal wrote:
its all about the DSi store. DLC is what its all about nowadays. i'd say its more like XBL rather than iphone store since i've read that nintendo plans to have peer review and standards when it comes to apps. Similarly i'd be happy if Sony would just release all their games on PSN as an alternative to UMDs.

A PSP without a UMD drive is definitely in the cards. It's by far the PSP's biggest weakness. It's not fast, it's loud, and it is the biggest drain on the battery. It makes pirated games loaded from a USB stick superior to their official counterparts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The bigger screen makes a big difference to me, and I don't play GBA games on mine. However, if the DSTT card (or a similar one) won't work on it, then I won't buy one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.