Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

GridIron Master» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions regarding Line of Scrimmage/Counting Yards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, trying to learn the game and getting ready to play it for the first time soon.

Here are a few questions:



1. The fact that the pegs are not on the yard lines is driving me crazy, it makes counting yardage more difficult. I wish the pegs were on the actual yard lines, just for clarity. Am I to assume that the actual yard line is the one currently in front of the ball? So if there was a touchback, the ball would be placed on the peg hole just behind the 20 yard line?4 pegs beyond the endzone?

2. If this is correct, how far does the ball need to move to get a first down? Only to the peg behind the 30 yard line? Or beyond that, to the one on the other side of the 30 yard line?

3. If the ball is on the peg behind the opponent's 10 yard line (in front of, depending on your point of view--the third peg from the endzone) can you get a first down by advancing it to the peg in front of the goal line? It's the example in the book showing where you can't get a first down that is confusing me.



Thanks for any help you can give.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Morin
msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
GridIron Master pegging clarifications.

Quote:
1. The fact that the pegs are not on the yard lines is driving me crazy, it makes counting yardage more difficult. I wish the pegs were on the actual yard lines, just for clarity. Am I to assume that the actual yard line is the one currently in front of the ball? So if there was a touchback, the ball would be placed on the peg hole just behind the 20 yard line?4 pegs beyond the endzone?


That is correct. 1 peghole = 5 yards. Therefore the offensive line would be placed 4 pegholes from the endzone in the case of a touchback (ball at 20 yard line). Since the players line up behind the LOS and not directly on it, that is where the peg holes need to be.

Quote:
2. If this is correct, how far does the ball need to move to get a first down? Only to the peg behind the 30 yard line? Or beyond that, to the one on the other side of the 30 yard line?


2 pegholes = 10 yards. Therefore the ball needs to move forward 2 pegholes for a first down. In this specific situation, this peghole would mark being "at the 30 yard line".

Quote:
3. If the ball is on the peg behind the opponent's 10 yard line (in front of, depending on your point of view--the third peg from the endzone) can you get a first down by advancing it to the peg in front of the goal line? It's the example in the book showing where you can't get a first down that is confusing me.


In any circumstance, if you advance the offensive line by 2 pegholes you get first down. In this specific situation the ball being on the 3rd peg from the endzone would mark the offence being on the 15 yard line. Advancing the ball 2 pegholes would move the to the 5 yard line and result in a first down.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. I notice you've done a great job supporting this game in the forums, that's always awesome.

Just a final note in the third example. If this is to jive with your previous answers, then having the ball on the peg right in front of your opponent's endzone must represent the goal line (roughly the 1-inch line, I guess.)

If you follow that the peg directly "behind" the 20-yard line--for a touchback--actually represents the 20-yard line, and you count all the way forward five yards at a time, then the second to last peghole in front of the opponent's goal must represent the five-yard line. The only way it doesn't is if you count the 50-yard line twice (once in front in your own territory, then again when you cross over.)

Is this correct? Am I looking at this right? Sorry for the silly questions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.