Popular Tags: [View All]
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
page 5 of the English manual:
"When Shelob defeats an enemy character, she immediately returns to Gondor. If there are already two other Dark characters in Gondor, Shelob is defeated and removed form the game."

What if there is a good character there? Based on the "Recall to Mordor" card, it appears Shelob is also defeated and removed from the game if one or more good characters are in Gondor at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Shelob question
Innovan (#4807),

If one or two good player is there Shelob must fight them immediately until only one player's units occupy Gondor.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not sure.

p3 of the rules says, "A character may not retreat into a region occupied by an enemy character or a region with the maximum number of characters in it."

p7, Retreat Sideways says, "The Dark player, if able, moves his character sideways into an adjacent region, as long as this region contains no enemy characters..."

p8, Recall to Mordor says, "The Dark Player may not do this if Mordor is occupied by any enemy characters..."

There seems a pretty consistent "no special second move if the region is occupied by an enemy character."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovan (#4854),

Read the explicit outlaying of the different individual unit powers. I believe it says that Shelob fights again immediately. Shelob would only be killed by returning to Gondor if there are two dark units already occupying it.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortuantely, the English rules under Shelob say nothing on this matter either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovan (#4948),

You are correct that it isn't there, however I do remember reading this issue being decided in some official capacity - perhaps in a post by Chris Lawson somewhere. I can't say that I remember.

As Shelob's power (as described in the rules) do not use the word "retreat" (which has limitations attached to it) I would argue that the best interpretation is to follow the literal instructions. As soon as Shelob wins a battle she is immediately returned to Gondor. As the only condition attached to this is that Shelob dies if two Dark units already occupy Gondor I would further argue that if any number of Good units occupy Gondor another battle begins immediately (pg.3 "If a character is moved into a region occupied by one or more enemy characters, a battle occurs.)

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

French rules explicitely says Shelob is destroyed if having to return to Gondor and Gondor contains 1 or 2 Light characters... ???

Anyone have the german rules to check ?

":^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Stiebler
Germany
Braunschweig
Unspecified
flag msg tools
>Shelob is destroyed if having to return to Gondor and Gondor
>contains 1 or 2 Light characters...

That's what the German rules state, too. I think it would be a pity for this great game to have different official rule sets...

Maik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastino (#5518),

its agreed that if 2 dark characters are there shelob is defeated.

however, if 2 white figures are there, shelob fights the light characters one at a time.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/lotrconffaq.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing it, this is strange indeed !
So essentially we got the choice to play according to the author's rules or to the publisher's faq. I think I'll go with the rules.

":^)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Stiebler
Germany
Braunschweig
Unspecified
flag msg tools
easterly1 (#5698),

thanks for the link. That seems to be as official as it can get. Still, the rule is explicitly different in the rule book of the German edition (published by KOSMOS) and, apparently, in the French one.

Maik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ebon Kim
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Innovan (#4807),
Here's the official FAQ for the game: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/lotrconffaq.html

Q: When Shelob defeats an enemy character, she is immediately returned to Gondor. What happens if there are one or more Good characters in Gondor?
A: If any Good characters occupy Gondor, Shelob attacks them immediately. This battle happens during the current player's turn so attacking with Shelob in this manner does not count as the Dark player's turn. Shelob is considered the attacker so, just as in a normal attack, the Dark player chooses who to attack if there is more than one Good character on the space. Example: The Good player moves Gandalf into Moria and encounters Shelob. Shelob defeats Gandalf and is instantly moved to Gondor which is occupied by two Good characters. The Dark player chooses the first character to fight. He picks Frodo and the Good player decides to use Frodo's ability and retreat sideways. Now Shelob must attack the second character. After the battle, the Good player's turn is over and the Dark player begins his turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.