Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fields of Fire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Need Help Learning the Rules while Playing along with the example of play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope these questions weren't answered somewhere else. I did look through some of the more promising post but didn't seem to find my exact questions. So here goes ...

OK, so I setup and played along with Andy's example of play. I followed along and drew the cards as he did. Now a couple of questions.

First, during clean up are the VOFs, PDF, and VOF crossfire markers left in place? If so does this mean the enemy units keep attacking the same US units?

Second, the CO HQ drew for 2 commands and activated 1st PLT HQ and 2nd PLT HQ. 1st PLT HQ got 2 commands and activated the 1/Wpns unit, moving it forward onto the "Woods" card with 1/1 PLT. 2nd PLT HQ got 1 command and also moved it's 2/Wpns unit. It moved to the "Orchard" card with 1/2 PLT and the casualty. Now combat ... Again does everyone shoot at the same units that shot at in turn #1?

Since the Wpns units are new do they randomly draw to see which German unit they attack?

The VOF are added to the Germans and the best VOF is used, Correct?

Now third question; When the Germans attack are all US units on the card attacked or just the original units?

Thanks for any help!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
First, during clean up are the VOFs, PDF, and VOF crossfire markers left in place? If so does this mean the enemy units keep attacking the same US units?

Yep!

Quote:
Again does everyone shoot at the same units that shot at in turn #1?

Yes. If you want them to shoot something else, you have to give them a "Shift Fire" order (4.2.4.j)

Quote:
Since the Wpns units are new do they randomly draw to see which German unit they attack?

No, they shoot together with the other units. You can only have one PDF out of each card (6.4). Were the cards empty from friendly units, then you'd had to follow the priorities listed in 6.1.1 (Closest card, then highest VOF and then randomly)

Quote:
The VOF are added to the Germans and the best VOF is used, Correct?

Not sure what you mean by "added" but you only place the best VOF from all available (So if you have 2 squads with S VOF and one weapon with A VOF, you'll be firing with A VOF)

Quote:
Now third question; When the Germans attack are all US units on the card attacked or just the original units?

All the units. You always attack a card, not a unit (exception being "concentrate fire" and grenade attacks)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:

All the units. You always attack a card, not a unit (exception being "concentrate fire" and grenade attacks)

Thanks for the help!! This brings up another question. Are the same results applied to all units on a card or does each unit get it's own results drawn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondior wrote:
Thanks for the help!! This brings up another question. Are the same results applied to all units on a card or does each unit get it's own results drawn?

Each unit is tested separately: there is only one VOF, but different units can have different NCMs (due to cover, exposed markers, concentrated fire, etc.). BTW, even if all units have the same NCM, they are still tested separately (so it's not a good idea to move a bunch of units to a card under fire, as you are only making it easier for the enemy to hit you: just try to move a whole platoon to a new card and see the carnage that ensues )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sancherib wrote:
Mondior wrote:

...so it's not a good idea to move a bunch of units to a card under fire, as you are only making it easier for the enemy to hit you: just try to move a whole platoon to a new card and see the carnage that ensues )

This is good advice and has been a hard lesson to learn... several games in and getting comfortable with the rules. But I have made this mistake in every game so far - I get cocky and do a platoon move into a card that is under fire (even what appears to be minimal fire but the -2 for exposed is a killer) not thinking through the VOF and its possible results. That is a good way to end up with an entire platoon pinned and then watching them get cut to pieces over the course of a few turns. I will not make this mistake in my third attempt I assure you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.