Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Louis Dalessandro
United States
Davidson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Before I go hog wild purchasing a bunch of plastic sleeves, can anyone tell me:

1) what are the best sleeves to use for "Race for the Galaxy" cards, in terms of card fit, sturdiness, and ease of shuffling?

2) what are the best sleeves to use for "Dominion" and "Agricola" cards, using the same parameters outlined above?

Thanks,
alexius

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites for all of the above are BCW Deck Guards.

See http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Gaming-Sleeves/Deck-Guar....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron N. Tubbs
United States
San Bruno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions are varied, and you will find dozens of threads discussing the same already, if you search.

I find Race cards work well in "normal" size sleeves. I happen to prefer the Ultra Pro non-penny sleeves for my set, but to each their own.

I picked up some of the Mayday sleeves for Agricola, and they're a much better fit, though definitely "penny sleeves." It'll be interesting to see how the premium-thickness ones turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peacmyer wrote:
My favorites for all of the above are BCW Deck Guards.

See http://www.bcwsupplies.com/products/Gaming-Sleeves/Deck-Guar....

Jeff, that's a great price. Can you tell me if they are "penny sleeves" or the good kind. Do you know what I mean? The penny sleeves are really crap and way too thin and flexible. I find that I really don't have a preference between the various brands of the quality sleeves, such as Max, UltraPro, Dragon Shield, or Player's Choice. So, if these are the good sleeves, sold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not penny sleeves, except in approximate cost if you buy a case at a time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atubbs wrote:
I picked up some of the Mayday sleeves for Agricola, and they're a much better fit, though definitely "penny sleeves." It'll be interesting to see how the premium-thickness ones turn out.

We got some, too, but are having too much of a hassle to ever order from them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
I use regular Ultra Pro sleeves on my RftG and they work fine. At least five people have played with them with no complaints about shuffling or handling them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron N. Tubbs
United States
San Bruno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
We got some, too, but are having too much of a hassle to ever order from them again.

I ordered from Mayday and received a shipping notification a couple of days later. I had a hard time determining where to go for updates on my order, or determining when the order would ship versus the original expected release date. I had just about written the whole thing off as a mistake when they showed up in late February out of the blue. The end result fit my needs, and I ordered a few thousand, so... I'm in stock for a while.

Thought Hammer is stocking them now, and I've never had a bad experience there; if you want more, it may be worth ordering from them instead, if they have them in stock. I ordered my order of heavier-gauge euro sleeves from them, rather than from Mayday directly; it's not really a reflection on Mayday as much as I know I can keep track of the order at Thought Hammer far easier. Just a thought, if you're interested in the product, but not as satisfied with your ordering experience.

All of that said, the Mayday folks have been pretty responsive and interested in soliciting feedback and future sleeve ideas on the boards, so YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has to be the #1 most asked question on this site. Someone needs to make whatcardsleevesshouldibuy.com with some google ads and rake in the cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used these ones :
http://www.benzaentertainment.nl/index.php?target=products&p...

As they have proven to be extremely sturdy and absolutely brilliant for this purpose...
/dimi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atubbs wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

I ordered from Mayday, and it was confusion (shipping notices sent about a week after the order, three or four different companies/websites seeming to be involved) and radio silence for months, and then they just randomly showed up one day.

That's been our experience, too - we're still waiting for the rest of our order to randomly show up, so we can be done with the whole thing.

atubbs wrote:
Thought Hammer is stocking them now, and I've never had a bad experience there; if you want more, it may be worth ordering from them instead, if they have them in stock. Just a thought, if you're interested in the product, but not as satisfied with your ordering experience.

Thanks, that's good to know - we're definitely looking for options to replace Mayday Games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the whole story on IndigoPotter's transaction please check the thread with more details on it with her and LordDillon, her significant other at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/381864

They actually ordered from another website (not maydaygames.com) and that was why there was confusion. The order included some preorder for Euro Tokens and Farmers which didn't release until last week, which was why there was a delay in the shipping.

Please realize we have shipped over 2,000 sets of animeeples and literally thousands of packs of card sleeves, euro tokens and farmers sets and have heard maybe one or two complaints here on BGG. We haven't heard any really positive feedback either though, so if we're doing something wrong please let us know.

As for the tracking on an order, we have been physically making labels as orders come in so we can spend time shipping items out to customers the day the product is available rather than delaying another 3-4 days as we then print up labels and email tracking #s out. The result is that everyone gets a tracking # for every item within 2 business days of placing an order, even for preorder items. We do this to speed up the shipping time and to ensure orders for customers do not get shorted while FLGS get their orders. I know it makes me really mad when I preorder something and then don't get it immediately but see the same item available for sale here locally (Bang! anyone?).

If you have any problems with an order at all please email to maydaygames@gmail.com and we will be more than happy to help! Check the maydaygames.com homepage or individual product detail page for the latest release/restock information and understand that we will always ship to our direct customers before filling any reseller orders. In the case of the Sleeves that sold out in less than a week, several retailers did not get allocation at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please do read that thread. You'll see that we went to the May Day Games site to place our order, and it said, "to order, click here", which we did. It took us to ShopSPHiatt to check out, which we didn't think was a problem, since Seth Hiatt runs May Day Games. We had no idea that months later he'd be telling us we weren't May Day customers, especially considering the animeeples say "May Day Games" on them (we're still waiting for the rest of our order).

Some of our order was a pre-order, and that's fine, except we were never contacted when the order readiness was pushed back, or when the content of the order changed (fewer pieces are now being included).

LordDillon emailed several times, over several weeks, to all email addresses he had available, and only got any response after he said something on a thread here. We would have resolved this in private if we could have.

I'm not stupid, and I'm not going to let it stand that I don't know the difference between a tracking number and a shipping notice, and that, "Oops, I forgot which company I ordered from".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.