Subject: Question on Arkham expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tchar wrote:

What confuses me though is that the description of KiY says something about "the new Herald mechanic", but looking at some pictures from DH I saw something that looked like a Herald card.

Dunwich Horror doesn't contain a Herald card, though I've read on the geek that FFG released one through the internet. From what I know (which isn't that much ) KiY had the first herald.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
The order is correct. Both Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and Dunwich Horror got their Herald afterward.

I usually play with almost everything mixed in (items, encounters, investigators, ...), but I create a different mythos deck reflecting the expansions I want to use. Check the forums at Arkham Horror:

e.g. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/387987
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Vit
Czech Republic
Zabcice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking for some similar information recently, I've found this geeklist usefull:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37812
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's my advice based on your ownership of the base game and Dark Pharoah...

Get Dunwich Horror next.

The new investigators, board, and gameplay mechanics will GREATLY enhance your playing experience. Getting bored of the permanent exhibit variant for Arkham + Dunwich will take a while. There's a lot of game in both those expansions and they'll definitely address your lack of spells issue.

King in Yellow should follow Dunwich.

I love King in Yellow because it ups the difficulty by no small margin through the addition of the Herald and what amounts to a new timer for the game so you end up with the King in Yellow Act cards, the terror track AND the Ancient One's doom track.

Finally snag Black Goat.

Admittedly I haven't played this one but once so I don't have much to say about it.

Kingsport is an expansion I don't own, but again the big box expansions add a TON of content to the game and Kingsport adds a few new rules I believe like sealed gates that re-open. New investigators are always a ton of fun to add to the game as well.

I'm not sure exactly how long it'd take to complete a game with both big box expansions and 1 or 2 of the card expansions built in, but my impression is that your investigators will have a really hard time of it which is perfect if that's what you and your group are looking for in this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions mix well together. Our group plays with everything mixed in together, except that we usually don't bother with the Kingsport board unless we have at least five players.

Every expansion adds new encounters in every Arkham location, and every expansion is independent of the others, so you won't have a situation where you can't use certain things because you don't have a previous expansion.

The Dunwich Horror expansion is crucial. It expands the potential number of gate locations enough that the game will never again stagnate after players seal 3 or 4 gates. The Injury and Madness cards make the game more interesting and reduce downtime due to complete loss of sanity or health by an investigator. Also, you get 4 more Great Old Ones and 8 more investigators.

The King in Yellow is the best small expansion to the game, as the King herald is pretty interesting, and the Act cards create a new way to lose the game.

Personally, I feel that the Kingsport Horror expansion is also a great one to get, because it introduces the Epic Battle cards. Without the Epic Battle cards, the final battle is kind of a boring dicefest. With the Epic Battle cards, you get a more thematic, variable and interesting final battle. Also, every Great Old One gets three unique Epic Battle cards, making the final battles that much more interesting. And like Dunwich, Kingsport includes 4 more Great Old Ones and 8 more investigators. However, the Kingsport board itself is not as interesting, and the Dimensional Rift threat increases the challenge but also increases the already fiddly Mythos phase.

The Black Goat of the Woods expansion is really good, but optional. The Black Goat herald is really tough, almost too tough. The set also introduces another sinister cult for characters to join, similar to the Silver Twilight Lodge. And there are Corruption cards, which are a little bit like Madness/Injury cards, only the negative effects are mostly sporadic, keyed to the movement icons on the Mythos cards.

In summary, every expansion since Dark Pharoah has been better than Dark Pharoah. If you only get one, I recommend Dunwich Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the Dark Pharoah herald:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/330531

Just print and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.