Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Le Havre solo about 10 times and the last time I managed to crack 400 for only the second time (having achieved 419 before). I’m not sure how much of it was down to the luck of the draw and how much was down to efficiency so I would be interested to know what sort of scores other people tend to get.

On the first few turns I collected 3 wood, 2 clay and 3 francs with which I bought the Construction Firm which I then visited to build the Market Place and another building. I was then able to visit the Market Place a couple of times in a row (by selling it) to gather enough material for another visit to the Construction Firm to build another two buildings and to buy the clay mound for my remaining 2 francs. The town then built the Haulage Firm and I took two loans and three francs change. I was able to use this to take both the wood and fish piles once they had built up a bit after several visits to each of the Market Place, the Clay Mound and the Construction Firm.

I always made sure I had no money left when it came to pay the interest so that another loan would give 3 francs change. I also completely ignored the wooden ships so that I could concentrate on building the buildings as efficiently as possible. I let the town build the Abattoir and gathered the right amount of wood and clay to build the remaining buildings with one trip to the Brick Works leaving 1 brick to modernise the Wharf. As soon as the Colliery was in play, every other action was to go there to get 4 coal. I collected enough iron from the Iron Works to complete the buildings and build both of the iron ships in the between turns. The town built the Wind Farm which I snapped up by selling other buildings. This meant that I was able to swap 1 coal (3 energy) for an extra iron on each visit to the Iron Works.

I timed my visits to the Colliery and Iron Works so that I could end the penultimate round by going to the Wharf to build the first steel ship after collecting the iron and grain piles using the Haulage Firm, visiting the Cokery to convert my 28 coal to coke and then the Steel Works to convert 22 iron to steel. The final round of 7 actions consisted of 4 visits to the shipping line with a trip to the Wharf to build the second steel ship and two trips to the Bakehouse to convert my grain into bread. I was able to ship 15 steel, 13 coke, 12 bread (around) 8 cows and 1 brick before building the Luxury Liner with my final action. I also paid off my 14 loans and bought the remaining buildings with the shipping profits.

My final score was broken down as follows:

Cash: 153
Standard Buildings: 178
Special Buildings: 20
Ships: 82
Total: 433
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recorded my last solo play which got me 444, i'm sure i did one which got me 452 but i didn't write it all down so can't be 100% sure on it. Also i play without the special buildings and rearrange how the normal buildings and shipping spaces are laid out at the beginning to maximise what i want from the turns. This was quite a while ago now and I would like to get into it again, i'm sure theres more to be gotten out of the score.

I build all of the ships (i think i bought the two iron ones in the 444). Usually go with a coal heavy strategy with limited steel, just enough to get ships. Try to get the colliery built earlyish and then switch between that and the marketplace while getting all the buildings completed.

On the first few turns i collect the gold (and buy the construction firm), get the wood and some clay as well i think.

If you are interested in the play by play i'll post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the help. I had overlooked the economy of buying the ships over building them. I just played basically the same as before but bought the wooden and iron ships - saving lots of resources and several actions. This meant I could gather more coal and keep more iron and also take fewer loans to cover the food shortfall. I ended up converting 46 coal to coke and was able to ship 18 steel and 25 coke in the final round. Total score: 457. Makes me think that 500 might be possible given the right setup and special buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter Rulebook wrote:
Ok, thanks for the help. I had overlooked the economy of buying the ships over building them. I just played basically the same as before but bought the wooden and iron ships - saving lots of resources and several actions. This meant I could gather more coal and keep more iron and also take fewer loans to cover the food shortfall. I ended up converting 46 coal to coke and was able to ship 18 steel and 25 coke in the final round. Total score: 457. Makes me think that 500 might be possible given the right setup and special buildings.

Excellent, you have a 457, my competitiveness can now be unleashed to try and better it.

I've heard tales of 550 with the right special buildings but that may be unfounded and i'll save the specials for a different day. The coal trader being particularly important and would be ridiculously overpowered actually because you'd have so much money you could refine it back through the coal trader to turn all your money into coal again and again.

I'm also toying with the idea of not getting the luxury liner, it costs 3 steel and a coke which are worth 29 and the luxury is worth very little more than that so if you can get a late shipping in and get some more goods sold out of it you'll make more than the value of it quite easily.

You seem to do well out of the steel so i may try incorporating it and see how it works, i just feel better about the coal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Chinkin
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agius1520 wrote:
You seem to do well out of the steel so i may try incorporating it and see how it works, i just feel better about the coal.

Coal and steel effectively have the same cash value: 1 visit to the Colliery = 4 coal - this gains you 4 francs from the Cokery and 20 for shipping 4 coke; 1 visit to the iron works = 3 iron - when converted to steel it gains you 24 for shipping. The difference is that you lose lots of coke converting the iron to steel. However, the steel takes less space on the ships and it would be very difficult to ship all that coke. Also, you can't go to the Colliery every turn so it is good to alternate with the Iron Works. There will be an offer of 5 or 6 iron available before you convert to steel which makes the one trip to the Steel Works really economical.

I'm fairly sure that I go to the Colliery as often as I can while ensuring I have enough actions to go to the Cokery, collect the iron offer and then go to the Steel Mill before going to the Wharf to build the first steel ship on the final turn of the penultimate round.

With the Coal Trader, Haulage Firm and Wind Farm I'm sure that you could get near to 550. Might be worth setting it up to see. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen scores of way over 600 with the formerly unlimtied Coal Trader. As it is capped now, try to maximize the score without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I've seen scores of way over 600 with the formerly unlimited Coal Trader. As it is capped now, try to maximize the score without it. :)

and don´t forget the changed marketplace (only 4 resources per visit in solo games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebenerwerbsbauer wrote:
Ponton wrote:
I've seen scores of way over 600 with the formerly unlimited Coal Trader. As it is capped now, try to maximize the score without it.

and don´t forget the changed marketplace (only 4 resources per visit in solo games)

Definitely, although this rule really bugs me... I loved to go "shopping" during the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nebenerwerbsbauer wrote:

Really, have you got a thread with more details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I've seen scores of way over 600 with the formerly unlimtied Coal Trader. As it is capped now, try to maximize the score without it. :)

While it won't seemingly be official anymore, i'll still have fun playing a game with it included as printed and see what i get, i'm not playing with any special in my games yet anyway and i'm not sure how much the marketplace limitation will affect it, the only worthwhile items throughout the games are coal and iron, with wood and clay important at the start but cows are good to breed and fill up ships with. I'm undecided about grain and hides, too much effort to convert to be profitable compared to getting just more coal/iron. Will also save the bother of getting unnecessary buildings built quickly to get the houses when they'll have no additional use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bloom
msg tools
601 points are still achievable with "plant nursey", "department of economics" and "labour exchange"! Did someone achieved more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.