Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
No. You do not already have to have an airship card to get the wooden airship. The order of the sentences is a little confusing, but the sentence about already having cards is meant to modify the sentence preceding it, not the sentence after it. It would have been better as a parenthetical comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't own the game, but I'll back up Dan.

The previous sentence is over, done, finis, kaput. "The player also receives the wooden airship" is a complete, standalone sentence.

Note also the rules state:
"1 Wooden Airship – indicates who has just built an airship and gives its owner an additional score of 1 when rolling the dice."

No "except for the first time" exceptions.

Also, the entire Hindenburg section says the same thing, you get it when you build a section, no previous build required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My only problem with this rule is that it seems it would increase the value of building the first airship and accelerate the "exhaust the airships" game-end condition. The first airships are pretty easy to build very early and the +1 bonus (or denying someone that bonus) makes them very valuable. As it is now we don't often see the Hindenburg being built.

How is having an incentive for the first airship worse than having an incentive for the second? Seems like you kinda wanna build lots of airships *anyway*.

We play by the rules as written and we, too, rarely see the hindenburg done, or even started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LEHaskell wrote:
unixrevolution wrote:
Quote:
My only problem with this rule is that it seems it would increase the value of building the first airship and accelerate the "exhaust the airships" game-end condition. The first airships are pretty easy to build very early and the +1 bonus (or denying someone that bonus) makes them very valuable. As it is now we don't often see the Hindenburg being built.

How is having an incentive for the first airship worse than having an incentive for the second? Seems like you kinda wanna build lots of airships *anyway*.

We play by the rules as written and we, too, rarely see the hindenburg done, or even started!

Yeah, you do want to build airships. Maybe we just overvalue the benefit of the wooden airship, but when one person gets it, it sets off an "arms race" to grab it away -- which more rapidly depletes the airship piles. As we play it now, there's less incentive to grab the easy airships, and someone can sit out that VP grab in lieu of improving their infrastructure. If the wooden airship goes in the first round, it seems like it would accelerate that end-game condition.

I'm sure I'm over thinking it.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

The other thing is I could swear my rules say the start player gets 3 flags and the airship instead of 4 flags. So someone starts off with it anyway.

All I can reccomend is that you try playing it both ways. It's a short enough game to playtest this idea.

I, personally, think the Airship is a nice bonus, but I rarely build an airship just to take it back. There are several engine cards that can give you, essentially, a "permanent airship" which is a big help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.