Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right,...

So I was watching a programme about Darwin's theory of evolution last night. Now, I always knew Darwin was the dude who suggested in 1800's that man was descended from monkeys, which made sense. But that was basically the limit to my knowledge about Darwin & the consequences his theory had on future events & the human race. Needless to say, the documentary blew my mind as to just how important his theory was.

Now I'm keen to buy a really good book about Darwin's theory - how, where, why & what happened next - I'm sure there's some really interesting stuff to read, but thought it'd be an idea to get a recommendation for a book here...

Any suggestions, please?

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good ones that I have read:

Stephen Jay Gould... Ontogeny and Phylogeny, Ever Since Darwin, The Mismeasure of Man, The Flamingo's Smile, The Structure of Evolutionary Theory. (I did not read that last one, but it is regarded as one of his best)

E.O. Wilson's On Human Nature, Sociobiology...

Rene Dubos' So Human an Animal: How We Are Shaped by Surroundings and Events

These might not be exactly what you are looking for, but they certainly are by definition Darwinism or an extension of his theories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Selfish Gene

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Why not just read the source materials?

Try searching for:
1. The Voyage of the Beagle (common name)
2. The Origins of Species
3. The Descent of Man
4. The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals

All are readily available in print form in the UK and due to copyright expiration, several are available online in complete form.

This way you can form your own opinions and understanding and not resort to repeating some pundit's viewpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
This way you can form your own opinions and understanding and not resort to repeating some pundit's viewpoint.

I don't get that. Pundit? Did I list any?

I though the OP was looking for people that studied or expanded on the TOE. Of course, I was going to first suggest the source materials, but the OP can find those well enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
Why not just read the source materials?

Try searching for:
1. The Voyage of the Beagle (common name)
2. The Origins of Species
3. The Descent of Man
4. The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals

All are readily available in print form in the UK and due to copyright expiration, several are available online in complete form.

Good suggestions; I may try some of the source materials. I was also thinking of theories/events/benefits & ill effects/etc that happened as a consequence of Darwin's theory.

*I started typing out a very good example relating to the First World War, but have just deleted the text as it felt like it could open a can of worms!*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the BBC R4 darwin season, still online.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/darwin/
In particular, the In Our Time programmes, which looked at his early life and put a lot of context into the story. For example, you couldn't get your university degree without taking an oath that you held by various Christian beliefs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/inourtime/inourtime_darw...

Yes, you need RealPlayer installed. Yes, they are part of Satan's minions. I don't care.

Oh and Matt, it's not Darwin's theory of Evolution. It's Darwin's Scientific Theory Of Evolution By Natural Selection. And nowhere does Darwin or any other evolutionary scientist claim that humans are descended from monkeys. Instead, they prove that humans and monkeys have evolved from a common ancestor.

It matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the one and only
Germany
Nettetal - Kaldenkirchen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Talk Origins for good online material
http://www.talkorigins.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh....and...

Carl Sagan - Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get on barnesandnoble.com or Amazon.co.uk and search for 'Darwin Letters.' I've read one collection of his letters and it was a great insight into how he arrived at his theory. Plus it's a fun reading of his scientific adventures and the politics of science at the time.

Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.