Subject: Continental US Math Trade: official results - 311 items trading rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: BrettSpielWelt player
Re: Continental US Math Trade: now open for submissions
The trade list is now open:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/40907
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Golden Boardgame UploaderMicrobadge: New York Yankees fanMicrobadge: Golden Image UploaderMicrobadge: Silver GeeklisterMicrobadge: BrettSpielWelt player
If the first 100 minutes is any indication we are looking at a really big math trade. It only took 101 minutes for us to hit 100 items

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Boomer wrote:
btw, is there a new discussion thread for this MT? This one I thought was only gonig to be the pre-MT discussion as this thread doesn't even have any reserved early replies for posting the usual things (and the base post doesn't have the rules, etc duplicated from the geeklist).

fwiw, the OLWLG is now pointing to this (and I set this thread for nwo as the discussion thread)... Jeff, you should see a "resync w/geeklist" link for this MT on the OLWLG home page, as well as "edit info" to set various things like TradeMax options, generating summary, uploading official wants and results, turning on online OLWLG submissions, getting the wants, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Linux userMicrobadge: PHP programmerMicrobadge: Python programmerMicrobadge: Raspberry Pi fanMicrobadge: PC Builder
This is my 1st math trade. I've placed some games in the list.

How does the want list submission process work? Is it another list? Is it instant message?

Sorry, but it is my first time

Thank you in advance,
Andre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pet loverMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Game Group Organizer
Andre,

For a starting point with the OLWLG check out the wiki

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

that also answers a lot of FAQ

And welcome to your first MT

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
looks like lots of folks are missing the rule:
Quote:
7) You are expected to describe, as accurately as is reasonably possible, the condition (components and box), language and edition of your item in the description.
this makes if very difficult for everyone... may be too late now, but I always suggest as part of these rules that if folks skip this rule that it's assumed to be the domestic English language edition... here we can't assume it (thus keeping the responsiblity on the game's owner) so need to ask for each item.

I do suggest folks add questions as comments to the geeklist items, nto via geekmail, so the rest of us know if the questino has also been asked... it also flags it in the OLWLG to the item's owner knows there is a potential unanswered question as well as everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: JavaScript programmerMicrobadge: CelestiCon attendeeMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan

Where can I learn about altname and sweetners and the syntaxes that apply thereto? I want to bundle some things and I'd like to do it right. Some people have great looking posts, others look messy, and I want to make sure the OLWLG understands what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
andreww wrote:
Where can I learn about altname and sweetners and the syntaxes that apply thereto? I want to bundle some things and I'd like to do it right. Some people have great looking posts, others look messy, and I want to make sure the OLWLG understands what I'm doing.
The wiki page I refeenced above , ie. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/OLWLG

fwiw, I added a new feature today.... in step 3 of the OLWLG it now warns you at the top of the page if you have non-specific game id's (outside the scope of BGG, misc game acc, etc) and the OLWLG has not detected a valid altname. The MT organizer themselves will actually see a list/link to all such items so they can poke those folks.

Also lastly, I have it in my MT rules template but it's not in this one but a strong suggestion... do not simply say "as pictured" (or equiv) and think that replaces stating the edition and language. Not only is it more work for EVERYONE who may want your item (your potential customers) than to simply read it, and it hard to tell from some pictures because the box cover is almost or is identical in different languages, but the fact is that there are a high percentage (at least 5 or 10%) I imagine are just incorrect because it's the default image and doesn't match what's being offered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: JavaScript programmerMicrobadge: CelestiCon attendeeMicrobadge: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff fanMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan

I grock the AltName stuff now, but not how to put up games A and B as a single item.

If I put the secondary items in the description, is that good enough? Does the OLWLG even need to know about them? I think I can get the game, link, and picture in there, but do I need to do anything for the OLWLG? I can't see that part.

Thanks very much, and I really admire all the software that makes this posisble...

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
yes, that part is not listed in the OLWLG wiki... the OLWLG identifies "sweeteners" by looking for the [gameid=nnn] syntax or the ....boardgamegeek.com/game/nnnn (or /boardgame/nnnn) links in the geeklist item's description or a comment to the item (written by you only though ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
ortho_ Jan 14, 07:15 PM: hahahaha i think rathstar should be granted some kind of neutral mischief-maker role in any WW game he wants to play :D
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
Microbadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: Rathcon attendeeMicrobadge: Braid fanMicrobadge: Card Games fanMicrobadge: Trick-Taking fan
I think I saw a few "first $10" shipping clauses...? is "sender pays all shipping" going to be enforced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bartel
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Rush fanMicrobadge: Belgian Beer loverMicrobadge: Gen Con attendeeMicrobadge: The Dresden Files fan
rathstar wrote:
I think I saw a few "first $10" shipping clauses...? is "sender pays all shipping" going to be enforced?
I saw a few of those too. But the ones that I saw also said free continental shipping, so I didn't comment on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
rathstar wrote:
the couple I saw said shipping in USA covered, first $10 elsewhere, which are fine since they won't be shipping "elsewhere"... I figured these are just cut/paste from prior MT's.

If however you see any that don't say it's covered in the USA (or con./lower 48) then you should add a comment to those items and point it out. I'm guessing the owners know it and it was just a cut/paste oversight and they plan to follow the rules, but you never.

btw, folks, don't forget the new OLWLG "add games" functionality... makes it easier if adding stuff from prior MT's or from your BGG "for trade" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
rathstar wrote:
I just saw a few of those and geekmailed the people that posted them.

That rule will be enforced.

If people post shipping conditions that violate that rule, they'll need to change it, or I'll treat their item as having a blank want list.

The main reason for this math trade limiting to the continental US is shipping issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
Microbadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: 2018 Gold SupporterMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
Don't forget to also enforce the "state the condition" rule. I just saw some blank items, just above my last ones (just now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Don't forget to also enforce the "state the condition" rule. I just saw some blank items, just above my last ones (just now).
And both edition *and* language... not everyone knows which edition is which and every buyer shouldn't have to research it when simply stating it up front will suffice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Math Trade Moderator
I know that we're only a couple of days into this math trade, but there are already some great games being posted. Let's just hope some of them trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
aksosa wrote:
I know that we're only a couple of days into this math trade, but there are already some great games being posted. Let's just hope some of them trade.
I agree and we're up to 732 items at last count, wish makes me think we could end up over 1500. I'd think with that many items we should have a lot of items trading.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the records for most items and most trades?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Boomer wrote:
Just out of curiosity does anyone know the records for most items and most trades?
Well for most items you can see that by going to the OLWLG home page, previous math trades, and click on the link to have it sort on that key

I have been thinking about also displaying and sort option for number of items trading now that I've gone back and dug up and uploaded results for a fair number of previous math trades (still have some holes though).

fwiw, Jack has the top 2 with around 2,500 in each, Carl the next two around 2,400 and 2,100. 1,500 exactly would slide in at #7

edit: ps: Joe's GoF MT ends Friday night I think so leftovers from that may make it in here near the end

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I just sent a geekmail to everyone that has listed items, so far, reminding them of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Out of curiosity is there a "standard" definition of what condition "A player's copy" means? I assume it means it's been plays LOTS and is well WORN?

I would warn folks to ask if you are interested in a "player's copy" and I would recommend that folks offering such items to be explicit so there is no dispute if it trades and the person receiving it has a different definition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bakalchuck
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
Out of curiosity is there a "standard" definition of what condition "A player's copy" means? I assume it means it's been plays LOTS and is well WORN?

I would warn folks to ask if you are interested in a "player's copy" and I would recommend that folks offering such items to be explicit so there is no dispute if it trades and the person receiving it has a different definition
When I see "player's copy" I make the same assumption, that it's complete but has been played many a time and is well worn but still playable.

I agree that it's better if people are more explicit about condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
JeffyJeff wrote:
edit: ps: Joe's GoF MT ends Friday night I think so leftovers from that may make it in here near the end
It ends Friday at 7PM Eastern, but I wouldn't count on a big pickup from there. I doubt I'll be adding anything more - among other things, I put games in that trade I didn't want to have to ship anywhere - and many of the participants aren't MT regulars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gatti
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love PortlandMicrobadge: I love JapanMicrobadge: Portland Trailblazers fanMicrobadge: Pu-Erh drinkerMicrobadge: Rainbow
Boomer wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:

When I see "player's copy" I make the same assumption, that it's complete but has been played many a time and is well worn but still playable.

I agree that it's better if people are more explicit about condition.
I tend to think of "player's copy" as falling somewhere below "Medium/Heavy Box Damage" and above "Home-made copy." So, something too damaged for a collector to want (since it has extremely limited trade-value to a collector), but still a fully-playable version of the game with (mostly) original components (though, it might be completely missing the original box, since that has no impact on play).

That's probably far too harsh and likely the game is in much better condition than that, but that's the impression I'm given (since if it really was in much better condition than that, it would be much easier to just describe the minor defects.).

Jeff's description is probably far more accurate, but "player's copy" just feels like it leaves a lot of room to hide damage/defects in a more attractive label.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Bourbon drinkerMicrobadge: Indiana Jones fanMicrobadge: Video gamer since 1981Microbadge: Amateur FilmmakerMicrobadge: University of Miami
Is it better to edit condition or delete an item and re-list if the item has changed? I just had a box destroyed (long story) game is still pristine, but the box is DOA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [15] |