Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it true that Oil costs no tech?
If it does cost tech, does FRED provide replacement cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a tech card. It costs 9 science. Yes, they printed new cards to replace the errors in the second edition, but as it turned out they had the same errors plus some new ones!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the main gist of the card fixes that in a 2 player game, only one player will be able to acquire coal, and only one player will be able to acquire oil ?

-T

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
tmarozas wrote:
So is the main gist of the card fixes that in a 2 player game, only one player will be able to acquire coal, and only one player will be able to acquire oil ?

Yes. Only one Coal card and one Oil card is available in 2er.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Same with farm techs. Denying your 2er opponent all of the Age II & III farm and mine techs usually results in a win for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This post doesn't match my cards:

Age 3, 2 player:
2x Oil, one being a misprint showing no tech cost.
1x Mechanized Agriculture.

Age 2, 2 player:
2x Coal.
1x Food.

Age 1, 2 player:
2x Iron.
2x Food

In Age 3, I've only got 9 cards pulled out for 3-4 though...:
Professional Sports (4+)
Engineering (4+)
Military Theory (4+)
Air Forces (4+)
Rockets (4+)
Mechanized Agriculture (3+)
Tanks (3+)
Modern Infantry (3+)
Democracy (3+)

So it would appear that one of the 3+ cards in my set is misprinted or otherwise missing. Question would be which one?

Using the Through_The_Ages_Card_List_V2 download, it appears that this Oil that does not have a cost is supposed to be a 3+ card. That corrects the set to:

Age 3, 2 player:
1x Oil
1x Mechanized Agriculture.

Age 2, 2 player:
2x Coal.
1x Food.

Age 1, 2 player:
2x Iron.
2x Food

So strategically, it becomes very difficult to utterly deny an opponent a chance at food and resources since 2 come up every age. In fact, if I remember correctly, there's something about not being allowed to draw duplicate techs isn't there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie H
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sorry about that, Chief
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Age 2, 2 player:
2x Coal.
1x Food.

One of the Coal cards is a misprint (missing the "Mine" designation). It should also be marked "3+" and thus removed in a 2 player game.

Quote:
Age 2, 2 player:
2x Coal.
1x Food.

Should only be one Coal available in 2 player, as noted above.

Quote:
In fact, if I remember correctly, there's something about not being allowed to draw duplicate techs isn't there?

Correct, players may not draw Technology cards that duplicate ones they have already drawn/played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something interesting then. Rulebook pg 2 under Card Used in the Simple Game: "Each Civil Deck from the Other Ages (Ages I, II, and III) has 5 cards marked 3+ (for 3 or 4 players) and 5 marked 4+ (for 4 players)."

Then the composition of my marked Age II cards (10 cards total):
3+ (4):
Architecture
Constitutional Monarchy
Riflemen
Selective Breeding

4+ (6):
Cannon
Cavalrymen
Journalism
Justice System (2x)
Republic

My decks apparently had a duplicate of Justice System (according to the spreadsheet), which is why I was thinking the Coal suggestion didn't match my decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.