Subject: Identify this Chinese game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Here's a game I saw being played in Tianjin. What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran downstairs and asked the other Chinese teacher...
she said it is one of her favorites!

She said it's called 軍棋 (simplified: 军棋 pinyin: jūn qí). It's kind of like Stratego, so she was a little mystified as to why they were revealing their pieces. Basically it's played with 3 people: 2 opponents and a moderator. The moderator declares the winner so players don't reveal their pieces and their strength.

My thought is that it was a teaching game like for a kid? Or did they lay down the pieces for the picture?

Never played it myself, though I've seen it (can't remember where it was sold).

(edited for clarity)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the game is Jungle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I know a little bit about it. I've heard of it, but never played it. I heard it called "Jungle game" or some such. It's like stratego, but it's all animals, where the bigger animals win fights with the smaller ones.

I was going to say this, but I always saw it played with the tiles upside down and hidden, so I thought I must be wrong. But when Mister Lunch spoke up, it appears that it's just a weird photo, where the tiles were flipped over for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
here's the game on BGG!

Lu Zhan Jun Qi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
here's the game on BGG!

Lu Zhan Jun Qi

Yep, that's it. I saw this played in Hangzhou, China, and it was somewhat popular with teenagers, and could occasionally be seen at coffee shops and that kind of thing. It was far less common than Mahjong and Xiangqi, but those tended to be the territory of older women and men, respectively, whereas JunQi was more of a younger people thing.

The sets are pretty inexpensive, and I've even seen them in shops in Chinatown here in Vancouver, but considering the number of different units and the Chinese-only text, it would probably be a little difficult for a non-Chinese-speaker to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a 2 player version of the classic game for four, which I'm not sure is actually on BGG.

In the province I stayed, the more commonly-played four player version was called "Si Guo Da Zhan" (Four Countries Big Battle).

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers. I don't know why they had the pieces face up - Is it possible that the game was over and they were just having a look at how things ended up? I don't think there was a moderator around.

I uploaded a different shot to the LuZhanJunQi gallery:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
These games ought be played with a moderator (either a 3rd or 5th person) to look at the face-down pieces to decide which piece wins. Their game looks like it's finished, here, anyway; black player has eliminated all but one piece on red's side!

They may have played it Stratego-style without a moderator, but I don't see how they could have played face up, as the game is 90% Stratego.

kj

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyong Tong
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mister lunch wrote:
here's the game on BGG!

Lu Zhan Jun Qi

Yep, that's it. Not Jungle. Sometimes people play it with face-up pieces, since they are not familar with the strength of every piece. Anyway, most Chinese will play this game with face-down pieces.

In addition, someone has invented an electronic device to take the role of moderator. The attacking player puts his piece and the opponent's defending piece into this device, the result will be revealed, without any player find out the opposing piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.