Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 solutions to annihilation combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Fitt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
1st- The War Game, World War Two [AKA Axis & Allies on steriods because it is very similar just bigger] allows retreats by the defender on land at least. The system is- the defender divides his force into a rear guard and the fleeing force. Only the rear guard units can fire. Casaulties are taken by the rear guard 1st then the remaining ones are taken by the fleeing force. Surviving units must retreat to an adjacent friendly terr. Surviving rear guard units fight on. This has been playtested for years in that game.
2nd- This is not playtested and may seriously destablize the game.
a) create a 'Tech' of 'PanzerBlitz'. Ger. starts with it, USSR gets it at start of 2nd turn. b) Armor (& Motorized Inf. units if created) may move thru a terr. that was just cleared of enemy units in ONE round of combat. c) One such unit may move thru the terr. for each extra hit that was not absorbed by a defending unit. Planes can join the Armor and attack the units in that next terr. d) When do other nations get this tech?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
The latter is a common used official optional rule from A&A rev. And we have been using it from time to time during the past 20 years. However, it doesn't change the game so much, and I rather play without it. I prefer to keep A&A as simple as possible.

However, if a strong Allied player fight a weaker Axis player, this two official A&A rev. optional rules are quite OK:

Atlantic Wall
During any amphibious assault against a gray territory, all your infantry defend on a 3 during the first cycle of combat.

Panzerblitz
If your attacking forces destroy all defending units in a territory in one cycle of combat; or, if no combat was necessary, any of your surviving tanks in the attacking forces may move 1 territory during the non combat move phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Larsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
I have been thinking of the first of your House Rule. Ee have been testing some different variants during the years, one where the enemy simply got a "free shot" if the enemy retreated; i.e. if Germany attacked Soviet, and Soviet retreated, the German units simply got a "free shot" on the enemy (who couldn't fire back).

However, I think the original rules are better. If you as a Soviet player put up a strong early defence, they SHOULD suffer. Early during the Barbaraossa campaign, Soviet forces simply became encircled by blitzing panzer. No retreat were possible, they had to fight until death relived them. And you might look at the 1 or 2 infantry that stands in between the "big stacks" as troops that are left there to slow down a quick German advance, just like in history and as you do in more advance war games (World in Flames etc.).'

By the way: I have been trying to "translate" the official optional rules from A&A Revised, to A&A 50. Some of the seem obsolete, but you may find them on page 3-5. When you have played the game for some years, or when you fight a weaker enemy, it's quite OK to add a few of them: http://hem.bredband.net/triathlon/HouseRulesAA50.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.