Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not read much about WW2 beyond what was taught in school and they don't teach much about it in public schools. Anyone have any suggestions on books that would be a good place to start to get me on the track to knowing more about the war? I'd like to read something that's a general overview of the war and then something that gets more into the weapons and combat of the war. Suggestions please. Thanks.

Joshua

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Coworker is reading this and says its pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/Second-World-War-Complete-History/dp/0...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anything by www.ospreypublishing.com.

I'm currently reading, Infantry Tactics of the Second World War - Stephen Bull and Gordon L Rottman. Not an overview of the grand stragegy, but a great overview of squad and platoon tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an "Atlas of World War II" I got from the Barns and Noble clearance rack that is a great overview with maps and pictures. Its' by David Jordan and Andrew Wiest. What really got me interested in WW2 is Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. Its not an overview but an excellent book. Flyboys is a good book about the Pacific. The first couple of chapters gives insight as to why Japan entered the war. It ties in what was going on in the movie Last Samurai when Japan was westernizing, and how that relates to them in WW2. 'Enemy at the Gates' by William Craig was a good one about the Germans and Russians in Stalingrad. Its' not like the movie but more of an overview of Staligrad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
The Second World War by John Keegan is a good overview. After that, you can dig further into any aspects you find more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the details involved in ASL, I would think the second or subsequent series of books would include the series from Stackpole books, including Panzer Aces, Infantry Aces, etc. Excellent stories of the troops from all sides of the war with the level of detail that helps a player see what the game moves would be like in the real world. I find them at Barnes and Noble in the Military History section, average price for the 300-400 page books is around $20. Several scenarios seem to come right from some of these accounts.

Tom Oxley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a novel? "Stalingrad" by Theodor Plievier or "Das Boot" by Lothar-Günther Buchheim are both quite impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Total War - The Causes and Courses of the Second World War" by Peter Calvocoressi, Guy Wint and John Pritchard.

It's a brick, but it's good and should give you an answer to most things you want to know about WWII in general.

Apart from that, most books by Stephen Ambrose and Anthony Beevor is excellent reading.

I can also recommend "Eurpoe at War" by Norman Davies. It gives a sobering look at where the "centre of gravity", so to speak, of WWII was. Many westen historians have, during the years from the end of the war, created an impression that the war, at least in Europe, was won on the western front and that what happened on the eastern front was just something of a sideshow. If anything, it was the other way around.

In that same respect, I'll also recommend an excellent book by Richard N. Armstrong called "Red Army Tank Commanders - The Armored Guards". That book seeks to give a thorough presentation of a selection of some of the most able Soviet Army Commanders during WWII. A most welcome addition to WWII history as the higher officers of the Red Army has mostly been anonymized in the litterature.
That's due to the fact that a great deal of the litterature covering the eastern front is written, or derived from writings, by German higher officers. Those are, of course, most happy writing about their successes and tend to blame their defeats mostly on the Soviet "mindless masses" and Hitler's interference with the conduct of the war.

The fact remains though, that the Germans suffered the most total military defeat in history at the hands of the Red Army. And that can't be accounted to difference in numbers only.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stai

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"Army at Dawn" and "Day of Battle" by Rick Atkinson are both excellent resources on the US army, in North Africa and Italy, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tallguy2241 wrote:
"Army at Dawn" and "Day of Battle" by Rick Atkinson are both excellent resources on the US army, in North Africa and Italy, respectively.

I'll second this. I knew little about the North African campaign and now I think I love it.

See also Beevor's Stalingrad, and Hans von Luck's Panzer Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atkinson is very good, with 2 of his planned 3 books published.

I would look to Ambrose (and Ryan...The Longest Day), his layman writing is very good for the casual history fan. I would get or rent Band of Brothers, a very good series and based on his book. At least one SK module based on an episode from the series, or at least the insiration says Brian Youse. The US in France '44 is where a lot of the scenario's come from so Ambrose's 2 books D Day and Citizen Soldier along with his Pegasus Bridge and BoB should give you an overview on combat in WW2. Then you can go to the Osprey Books or other drilled down tactical books. Start lite so you don't get overwhelmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For an overview book go to the Barnes and Noble discount section in the front of the store. THere is almost always a pretty good Time Life (or type) big book that can give you maps and timeline of major battles and theatres of the war. From there you can get more targeted books on the campaigns that interest you most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Castrey
United Kingdom
Tamworth
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also try 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer (German soldier in the Grossdeutschland division); or any of the books by Sven Hassel (start with Legion Of The Damned); or, in a similar vein, anything by Leo Kessler (start with SS Panzer Battalion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.