Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The title says it all, any comments or opinions welcome. I am tossing up getting the game to play with a war gaming buddy but it would be a no brainer if I knew the wife would like it.
I assumed not, of course, but have recently heard evidence to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife does not enjoy wargames, buttolerates, if not secretly enjoys , the commands and colors games. The card play is what attracts her to the game (or maybe it's the dwarves, I think she has a thing for short men ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Surry Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Bloody Romans!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it depends entirely upon the wife in question. My wife prefers Arkham Horror, Thebes or Dominion but doesn't mind playing the odd game and does pretty well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes the commands and colors series as well but BattleLore is her favorite. And she is neither into fantasy or wargames. Go figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Humphreys
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Battlelore. She especially loves it when I get the army with the Goblins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Battlelore. Loves the theme, and really loves those Lore cards. In fact, she wasn't really crazy about the game for the first scenarios that don't use any lore, but once we started playing with magic she was totally onboard.

She's also not crazy about the long setup, so I usually take care of all that and just sit her down in front of that gorgeous game board once it's all ready to go.

And of course I recommend (for any game, but this one especially) really knowing the rules well before you teach her. My wife can handle some pausing to thumb through rules, but her tolerance level for that is way lower than mine.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out if you take the plunge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muzza wrote:
Of course it depends entirely upon the wife in question.

Good point by my Aussie buddy -
my wife likes strategy & kills me in it everytime; games like race for the galaxy, princes of florence, mare nostrum, and Mr Jack. I think her favourite would be citadels.
On the other hand though, she enjoys adventure games as well & years ago we played heroquest till there were no more expansions to play.
She has never shown any interest in war games though, which is a bit of a worry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inspirational Leaderhips
Australia
Melbourne
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBTheChamp wrote:
my wife likes strategy & kills me in it everytime; games like race for the galaxy, princes of florence, mare nostrum, and Mr Jack.

My wife likes Mr Jack and Race for the Galaxy, they're probably the two games we play most often right now. She's enjoyed games of BattleLore as well, despite having no interest in more serious wargames. (She has a particular liking for playing the dwarves.) Of course, your wife may feel differently, but it's worked pretty well for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The wife hates Battlelore...and I suspect it goes for all the C&C games .. she finds there is too much luck (cards & dice).

The same applied to Heroscape. I've told her it's really all about throwing around dice...but she' more of stratigeist

FWIW: she likes Mr. Jack, Carcassone (3 tiles in hand variant!), Dungeon Twister, Blokus, Yinsh, TTR, Caylus, and she used to play a fair bit of Magic The Gathering.

Needless to mention, her 16yo brother and I play ALOT of BL and Heroscape.

Maybe I'll bring out Advanced Squad Leader and see how that goes over !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Vey
United States
Breinigsville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My

BattleLore is one of my wife's favorite games.

For reference, some of her other favorites are Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, and Settler's of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd expect you're going to hear more about wives who like the game than those who don't, simple because the minority tends to speak up more for this sort of question. My wife won't play it... or any other "wargame" of mine. Her current fave is Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheadle
United States
Flushing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife will play memoir 44 but has not tried battlelore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do "Girlfriend replys" help you?
I have no wife, yet, but my girlfriend loves the CnC system too, and likes BattleLore the mostest!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the feedback, good to see some Battlewore women out there !
Surely, thats diligent research & justifies the purchase.
I do admit that the post will attract more positives than negatives but surely that only helps my cause!
I hear there are only 9 or so scenarios in the base game, does that restrict replayability ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what this is worth, the only two people I saw playing BattleLore on Vassal yesterday evening were women

JBTheChamp wrote:
I hear there are only 9 or so scenarios in the base game, does that restrict replayability ?

In a word, no. (And there's 10 , + six more [7 if one includes the "Medieval" version of Brignais] web-only adventures that are readily available). The C&C system cries out for playing the same scenario multiple times. Even with that said, if one enjoys the game enough, Call to Arms is a wonderful buy to add a deployment system that introduces another level of variation to an already immensely variable game.

Some have fault with the expansions and the way they were rolled out by DoW, but each of them add more variety. Between Call to Arms, Epic, and Medieval official variants of the game, little chance of becoming tired of the game, unless one just doesn't like how any of it plays. This is not even to speak of the variation that the additional units and factions bring. Also, it looks as though campaign and rpg elements should be coming soon. (How soon, rather than if at all, seeming to be the question.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.