The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit my job today.

(This is the part where I can hear all your jaws drop - quitting a GAMES STORE?!?!?!)

It was mostly for personal reasons. But also as I have been so stressed and anxious for some time now. My recent back injury was kind of the lynch pin that made me realise that I had to put myself (and most importantly) my relationship with John first and foremost.

And so I resigned.

It felt really, really good once I had done it, like a massive weight was lifted from my back. (no pun intended.)

I am off to work less hours at a very, VERY kewl book shop here in Canberra.

Please don't be haters cause I left a dream job. It is easy to look in and think something is amazing... It is quite another thing to stand on the other side of the counter.

More updates when I can post them.

Love to you all,

Shebby
xxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked in a game and comic store some 13 years ago and I know its not Nirvana. Book stores are just as cool, too. Good luck at the new job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shebby wrote:
I quit my job today.

(This is the part where I can hear all your jaws drop - quitting a GAMES STORE?!?!?!)

It was mostly for personal reasons. But also as I have been so stressed and anxious for some time now. My recent back injury was kind of the lynch pin that made me realise that I had to put myself (and most importantly) my relationship with John first and foremost.

And so I resigned.

It felt really, really good once I had done it, like a massive weight was lifted from my back. (no pun intended.)

I am off to work less hours at a very, VERY kewl book shop here in Canberra.

Please don't be haters cause I left a dream job. It is easy to look in and think something is amazing... It is quite another thing to stand on the other side of the counter.

More updates when I can post them.

Love to you all,

Shebby
xxx

The health and happiness of Shebby are of the utmost importance. That being said, I might prefer to work at a book store as opposed to a game store. :0 I hope it works out well for you.

Is your back feeling better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:

The health and happiness of Shebby are of the utmost importance. That being said, I might prefer to work at a book store as opposed to a game store. :0 I hope it works out well for you.

Is your back feeling better?

Lots better. I am off the scary hard drugs, but still have to take the Valium.

Thanks for your warm wishes Miss Tiff. It means a great deal to me.

xxx
Shebby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodness, shebby!

Does that mean you won't be in Melbourne for the toys, games and hobbies fair? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Goodness, shebby!

Does that mean you won't be in Melbourne for the toys, games and hobbies fair? cry

Alas, yes.

But I can suck that up. I wanted to go with ALL my heart.

Le sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
We will sing to you Doctor... the universe will sing you to your sleep.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow - sounds like that was a tough decision.

Legion UNITE and form hug circles around Shebby!

:hugs:

Glad to hear you are feeling much relieved, and that your back is on the mend too! Good luck in the new job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Shebby!

Revel in the transition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeze - Am I the only one who's going to be honest here! What the hell have you done Shebby? It is like turning your back on the gates of paradise. Suck it up and have your spinal column reinforced with metal bars - or just fully replaced - sure it doesn't allow you the mobility that a fuly functional spine does, and you may get the 'jitters' without heavy medication - but then your spine sounds super dodgy anyways. I know a great little website that books in back yard operations - if you are interested in redeeming yourself let me know

Ahh

Seriously though - have a great time!! I would love to work in a bookshop (as long as it isn't like Black Books)!

Cheers, get well and enjoy!

Giles & Kylie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
This post made me realize we don't have a heavy-metal-horns emoticon. Rock on, sheb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She just needs a pair of horn rimmed glasses and she's got "sexy librarian" down perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapAp wrote:
This post made me realize we don't have a heavy-metal-horns emoticon. Rock on, sheb.

\m/ \m/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what's best for you and those you love. Nobody else's opinions matter.

:hugs:

Oh, and legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking care of yourself is the most important thing. Best of luck with the new gig!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TRAITOR

Just kidding. Best of luck in the new job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand, the 'dream' jobs tend to sometimes not be when you actually have them.

Good luck. You know we loves ya no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have to turn in my geek card if I admit that I'm way more jealous of your bookstore job than the gamestore one?

Good for you for taking care of yourself! I hope your back is on the mend and I hope the bookstore is a nice, no-stress job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Do I have to turn in my geek card if I admit that I'm way more jealous of your bookstore job than the gamestore one?

Not if it's because you are secretly wanting to stay closer to the Dr Who books and graphic novels!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be praying that things go much more smoothly with your new job. The key is to do what is right for you and John.

But to be honest with you...Working in a game store sounds a far cry from the "dream job" to me. I've seen some of the people that hang out at those stores. A book store sounds a little nicer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your new job!!

See, to me, working in a bookstore is THE dream job!!

Hope your back is better.

Love, hugs, and bunny slippers!!

kiss

LEGION!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, sweet change. Congrats and good luck. A lot of bookstores have a good coffee shop nearby...mmmmmm tasty tasty coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're better off. The people who haunt game stores are weird.

Best of luck in the new endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So on Monday, I'm watching Heroes and Claire (the "hot chick") gets hired at the local comic/game store because her looks draw customers.

I think to self, "Self" (I prefer not to call myself by my own name, as that tends toward egocentric) "That is SO totally a ripoff of Shebby's real life story."

The big question now is whether or not NBC can keep up and have Claire change jobs to a hip local bookstore. Probably not. There is no competing with the ladies of Chit Chat.

====

So you quit the dream job? Obviously not! If it were the dream job it would not have been so hard on body and soul. I _really_ love pizza, but I don't consider pizza delivery high on my list of desired professions.

All the best to you, and congratulations for having your priorities in self-and-family-first order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I don't blame you for quitting. I am infinitely happy now that I don't work at the game store I used to work at anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats on making the tough decision and sticking with it! And now you get to work in a bookstore? Awesome! (Can you tell I'm a wee bit jealous?)

Your back injury isn't related to the tallboy incident, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.