Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Eriksson
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Just wondered what you think? I'm about to order a batch of games and I really want to get the starcraft game as it just looks awesome! And as topic says I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra cash for the brood war expansion as well? I've never played this game just read about and it is a bit of an investment to get both main game and expansion at the same time!!

what do you think is it worth it?

or should we just play the main game 1-2 times and if we like it get the brood lord expansion, or would we like the game more if we played it from the first time with the expansion?

If the expansion makes the game so much better then do we really want to play "less fun experience" and maybe get turned off by it, just to save some $50?

thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
My ass is green, but I don't let it worry me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, I loved the design and overall concept of Starcraft, but felt the Special Victory Conditions really let it down. While you can play the base game without the SVCs, Brood War adds two things which make it much better.

The first is the leadership cards which essentially replace the SVC. These give some more variety to the different races/factions. Second, since conquest points become way more intersting once SVCs are gone, the ability to actively mount a defence (throught the new defence modules and order) makes the game much more strategic, much more tense and, above all, much more fun.

I found that in the base game, the only battles which mattered were the ones which happened on the vary last turn (when the game entered Stage III) as everyone scrambled to meet their SVC. Now, every fight counts.

As far as I am concerned, Starcraft without Brood War is only half a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Eriksson
Cyprus
Nicosia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks,

That is the feeling I was getting.. hence I've put the expansion in my shopping basket.. Want to give all my fellow gamers the best possible experience playing this game to make sure its played again..

Starting a new game group, first 3 games we will play will be:

StarCraft + Brood war expansion
BattleStar Galactica The board game
Puerto Rico

Should be a little for everyone of my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You do realize that there's a chance that you actually might not enjoy/hate the game?
If so, you're gonna be out an extra fifty bucks cuz you had no patience. It's not gonna kill you to play a few times without the expansion. I've played the base game and enjoy it. Even if the expansion does make the game better, if you don't like the base game, I doubt you'll like the game after you add the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the opposite. I prefer the special victory conditions. The victory points are still important, since there is often a tie with the SVC.

Playing with Brood War right off the bat with a new group is going to kill the game for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petras Ražanskas
Lithuania
Kaunas
Kauno apskritis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I am the opposite. I prefer the special victory conditions. The victory points are still important, since there is often a tie with the SVC.

Playing with Brood War right off the bat with a new group is going to kill the game for you.

I agree with the guy, play the base game first several times, it has quite enough of meat and is very good off the bat. Only after you know what you are doing in the base game should you consider purchasing the expansion. Yes, expansion makes the base game better, but if you dive headfirst into that, I think you will be simply overwhelmed by all the stuff, confused and ultimately disgusted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sgsdfsfg sfdgdfgsdfg

Rinkaby
Sweden
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not once with vanilla star craft has a special victory condition alone won the game. We havep layed around 10 games, most of them with 3 players though (once with 4). Only once time the SVC was activated, then by two players at the same round, giving the player with the most VP:s the win.

I will definitely buy Brood war soon, but i tell you: The original game has tonnes of strategy to learn and experient with, with loads of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
i would recomment taking the expansion as well.

not only for the afore-mentioned leaderships, which i believe add a lot(unlike the heroes or scenario play...both is nice, but...not up to expectations).

but also for needed fixes. The addition of collateral to tanks+reavers and techs like charon boosters making certain tech paths valid.
Fixing of archons(every toss was archon-spamming with base game).
The fact zerg have basically nothing to hit carriers or BC's.

I see where they are coming from, that you should try to play it first, then order the expansion if you like it. But you should be well aware that the expansion not only ADDS content, but also fixes things.
And being honest, usually on the first round of stage 3, one player at least managed to fullfill his SVC. Just when it got interesting. So really, maybe take a peek at the base game once or twice, then, if you like it, inmediately get the expansion as well, it's worth it for the fixes it provides alone.(yay guard order against blocking order stacks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Freemasonman
United States
flag msg tools
I've actually been disappointed with leadership cards. It's lame how there is usually one card thats much better than the other choice(s). And I'd also be happier if there were more of them; it'd be nice to see an expansion that added a bunch more leadership cards and also included a book full of scenarios to try. laugh

The reason that I will never go back to vanilla is for bug fixes. Goliaths, archons, reavers, there were so many broken components that now work almost perfectly. Also, little things like defend orders add loads of new strategy.

I have to agree with the others, however, that you should play your first 2 or 3 games with the original, at least. Otherwise, I doubt you'd appreciate brood war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.