Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I'll allow that I've got some strange fetishes (not that kind of fetish!) for certain objects. First and foremost among these is my favorite cup.

I got the cup back in, gosh, it must've been 1993 or 1994. It wasn't new at the time; it's a Dunkin' Donuts coffee cup that I found in a thrift shop. But it quickly became my favorite cup I'd ever used. I plastered it with stickers, and strapped it to my backpack when my bands would go on tour. It's been around the country from coast-to-coast, filled with all manners of tasty soft drinks.

Why is it so great? Well, first of all, it's got a groove in the handle which fits my pinkie perfectly, holding the cup stable and prompting a feeling of security and peacefulness.

Even if I don't hold it by the handle, it fits my hand perfectly with a wonderful solidness. It just feels right.

Another great thing is that it is the perfect size. With one half of an ice-cube tray plus a can of soda, it will fill to a half-inch below the rim, so I don't have to worry about spilling as I walk around. Since it's so perfectly sized, I can also use it for portion control when I've got a two-liter bottle.

Lastly, it's built of two pieces of plastic, with the actual liquid container sheathed in an outer holder. This is excellent 'cos it means that the cup doesn't sweat at all, so I can place it on any surface, sans coaster, without having to worry about damaging the furniture or a game or book or whatever.

Sadly, these two pieces of plastic broke apart years ago. But they still fit together, and hell, it just means that I can wash it thoroughly. It also has a divot on the lip where some hot metal thing melted it a little bit, and the printing's worn off not only on the cup but on most of the stickers that it's held. The Wife badgered me for years to divest myself of this cup, and I almost had a weakness; I'm glad that I didn't, though, 'cos they quite literally don't make 'em like this anymore.

This is my cup; there are many others like it but this is mine.

Please share stories of your own favorite cup, or just feel free to tell me how jealous you are of my cup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You look like Johnny Knoxville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
jonnylawless wrote:
You look like Johnny Knoxville.

Maybe a very pregnant Johnny Knoxville, but even then I ain't seein' it (though I wouldn't turn it down!). I mostly get Drew Carey, though I'm too unkempt today for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
LessPaul wrote:

No pinkie groove, wouldn't hold a can of soda, and it smells funny! FAIL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I get a chance, I'll post pictures of my husband's lunch box.

He carries a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lunch box to work daily. We bought it about 20 years ago at a Target.

He wanted a thermos to take to work, he didn't need a big one. We looked at the ones in the camping aisle and they were way too much money for poor us.

Then, we walked past the clearance aisle, there was the TMNT lunchbox with thermos for $3.99. We were happy! I thought we'd just throw the lunchbox out.

Well, he wanted to use the lunchbox, at that time he worked with pre-schoolers and there was one boy who had an obsession with the ninja turtles. He would sing the theme song to my husband.

So, I figure, he'd stop using the lunchbox soon enough.

nope.

Here we are two decades later, the thermos is long gone and the lunchbox is still with us. The decal is peeling, the hinges are disgusting.

He's wears a tie to work and carries a briefcase and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle lunchbox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very jealous of your cup, Holmes! I want you to hold me like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jessitron wrote:

Just watch the pinky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I too have a favorite cup. My former favorite cup looked a lot like this one, though without the logo, and was all stainless steel, not plastic-lined as this one appears to be. It had a thin thermal cushion between the layers of steel to keep a beverage hot while keeping the outside cool. Over the course of 10 years, that cup went everywhere with me -- home-to-work, on vacations, traveling in Europe. It had just the right grip, just the right heft, and the rubber seal around the lid kept the lid in place, but was loose enough that it could be opened without too much effort. During law school, I got coffee at the student union every morning in that cup. Tragedy struck when I accidentally left it behind at BGG.con 2007, and it never turned up.

But, do not weep for me Argentina -- I now have a new favorite cup, and it's actually more practical than the one I had before. I ended up finding an all stainless steel un-tippable cup some time back, and it's been a royal boon. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of it now, but if you see me at BGG.con 2009, I'll no doubt have it nearby.

Edited to add: I left out the best part -- because it has a wide base (ca. 6" across) it makes it nearly impossible to knock over, and the non-skid pad on the bottom means I can set it on the dashboard of my car, and it will stay in place as I drive (I've only knocked it over a couple of times when taking 90-degree turns faster than I should. It's much more convenient than using the cupholders in my car (placed under the driver's elbow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess i TRON
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ska_baron wrote:
jessitron wrote:

Just watch the pinky...

I would say something about that pinky, but don't want to get Holmes!'s thread moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Who needs a cup...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
A cold, non-alcoholic beverage can go in any cup, as far as I'm concerned. Tea is a very different matter, however.

The go-to mug for black tea is the Connecticut College Arboretum mug, purchased in 1998. It has seniority, and all the other mugs know this. It is aesthetically pleasing both in visual aspect and heft, and it holds an amount of tea that is in keeping with my theories about good living. Coffee is not allowed in the mug under any circumstances, and in fact my wife avoids the mug altogether either out of kind deference for my sensibilities or because it skeeves her out.

The back-up mug for black tea is a mug bought in Cape Cod a couple years ago. I think there is a lighthouse on it. It's not as visually pleasing as the Connecticut College Arboretum mug, but it's a bit thicker, and so it would be handy if I were ever drinking tea in the backyard and was attacked by a bear. My wife is allowed to use this mug, since technically she picked it out and paid for it, but she reserves it for tea only.

The number one mug for green tea is a handmade black and green glazed mug whose origins I forget. It is smaller than the other mugs, but this is appropriate since I never want a really big cup of green tea.

Chai tea goes in the big mug with the hot peppers on the side, because it holds the correct amount of beverage while still maintaining all proper aesthetic qualities that a mug should have (cylindrical, correctly sized handle, nothing girly on it, et cetera).

Mugs I will use only in desperation:
• the boring blue one
• the gigantic green ones

Mugs I will not touch:
• the icky beige one with all the coffee stains
• the lame plastic one with the rooster on it

Beer goes in the tall glasses, unless it's one of the pint-and-then-some bottles, and then it goes in the big glass from Arnold's Lobster and Clam Bar that I got last year on my birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
I too have a favorite cup. My former favorite cup looked a lot like this one, though without the logo, and was all stainless steel, not plastic-lined as this one appears to be. It had a thin thermal cushion between the layers of steel to keep a beverage hot while keeping the outside cool. Over the course of 10 years, that cup went everywhere with me -- home-to-work, on vacations, traveling in Europe. It had just the right grip, just the right heft, and the rubber seal around the lid kept the lid in place, but was loose enough that it could be opened without too much effort. During law school, I got coffee at the student union every morning in that cup. Tragedy struck when I accidentally left it behind at BGG.con 2007, and it never turned up.

But, do not weep for me Argentina -- I now have a new favorite cup, and it's actually more practical than the one I had before. I ended up finding an all stainless steel un-tippable cup some time back, and it's been a royal boon. Unfortunately, I can't find a picture of it now, but if you see me at BGG.con 2009, I'll no doubt have it nearby.

I salute your tastes and sensibilities. Other than the one above (which does not seem to hold fluids well) my favorite is exactly as you describe. Beside the advantages you cite, the smaller bottom allows it to fit snuggly in my Pontiac Vibe's cup holder. A feat that cannot be accomplished by any mere mortal travel cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is one of the four Vera Wang Wedgwood crystal lowball glasses I got when I got married. They're FANTASTIC. Super heavy, very nice. I've used them all of 3-4 times over the past 4 1/2 years, but I love them. I think they're from the "Illusion" collection, but can't find any pics online.

My other favorite cups are somewhat standard coffee mugs.

and another, identical shape, but white, with the GameSurplus guy and the slogan "Spieler uber spiele!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
My favorite is one of the four Vera Wang Wedgwood crystal lowball glasses I got when I got married. They're FANTASTIC. Super heavy, very nice. I've used them all of 3-4 times over the past 4 1/2 years, but I love them. I think they're from the "Illusion" collection, but can't find any pics online.

My other favorite cups are somewhat standard coffee mugs.

and another, identical shape, but white, with the GameSurplus guy and the slogan "Spieler uber spiele!"

Oh, this is getting eerie. Assuming that is about twice the size of a normal mug, that's the same as my favorite indoor/non-travel mug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is really a terrific thread Holmes!... I mean it. What subject is better suited for Chit Chat than your favorite cup?

So... this is for in the house:

And this for in the car or truck:

Both are many, many years old. Especially the house mug... that one dates back about 30+ years. It was part of a set with giraffes, elephants and zebras all doing the nasty. But only the bears survived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My favorite mug is from Cups in Jackson, MS. It's a larger mug, and the handle is big enough I can stick my entire hand into it, excluding my thumb. The very bottom is a little curved, so it fits nicely into the hand.

The mug I've got at work can be seen in the picture below. It's shaped exactly like the Cups mug, but it was a freebie from Boehringer Mannheim (how long ago did Roche buy them out?). I obtained it when I started working in the lab I got my degree from (Spring 1999). It was just sitting there, unused. Or maybe Jeff was using it to put sunflower seed hulls in. At some point, I just sort of took it over, and when I left, I took it with me. It shows a picture of their protein molecular weight markers, and the bands are a little misprinted. It's got vertical orange lines to represent the gel, and they're raised off the mug, so it's got a bumpy feel to it.

There's an important feature of a mug to me, and that is the handle. It should be big enough for me to get my hand through, which means the mug needs to be bigger than the standard sized coffee mug, and the handle needs to extend top to bottom. A nice, slightly curved mug bottom is good, too.

Now I'm going to go make myself some tea...

Edit: you can see the mug right in front of my monitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
This is really a terrific thread Holmes!... I mean it. What subject is better suited for Chit Chat than your favorite cup?

So... this is for in the house:

Both are many, many years old. Especially the house mug... that one dates back about 30+ years. It was part of a set with giraffes, elephants and zebras all doing the nasty. But only the bears survived.

OMGosh, surprise my mom had one like that, it was a different animal, but I can't remember what....(rabbits???)

I remember thinking that it looked like they were doing the nasty, but I couldn't wrap my mind around the idea of my mom having a cup with animals doing THAT. So, I decided that they were acrobatic animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
OMGosh, my mom had one like that, it was a different animal, but I can't remember what....(rabbits???)

I forgot about the rabbits. There might have been cats or dogs also. I vaugely recall buying a set of these mugs in San Francisco back in the 70's. My wife couldn't believe I wanted them and the more I think about it the more I suspect she secretly ditched the others but left me the bear cup because I was so attached to it.

I'm going to call her up and get this straightened out! Damn women!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, lately my favorite mugs are old 70's mugs I buy from thrift stores. Basically stoneware or pottery with the speckled glazing on the inside and rim and decorative hand-drawn flowers on the outside.

I started getting them because I heat up Mystery Bob's milk in the microwave every morning for his Cafe con Leche. We found that most modern mugs (made in China--sorry!) are cheaply made and conduct heat improperly, with the result being super hot handles.

After getting the older mugs (that do not have this problem), I started liking them a lot. My daughter loves them too!!

I have to go back again and look for more. They're lots of fun and practical.

For regular drinking, I love my Luigi Bormioli rocks glasses--they're almost like stemless goblets. Of course, with daughter, we have lots of plastic cups. But I prefer to drink out of glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:

Whoa.

(In the UK, well... definition 2 applies: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/lunchbox )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Whoa.

(In the UK, well... definition 2 applies: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/lunchbox )

laugh laugh laugh

Well, ya learn something new every day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Timotheous wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Whoa.

Does this excite you then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.